The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
the Anomaly

Most useful plant in your garden?

Hey guys :)

I'm new on the Shaman-Australis scene and ethnobotony in general.

I have been growing organic vegetables and herbs for a while now,

so i am used to getting regular and good harvest from my plants.

What do people find the most "useful" in their garden in terms of time to yield and also preparation?

For instance if i were to have a dream garden it may have cannabis plant(s) in it, and they may produce good supply once a year, very hardy, with minimal maintence. Preparation is straight forward simply "hanging out to dry"

I, of course, do not because that particular plant is illegal in my state.

But i have read that from the wealth of information that we have on the WWW.

my aloe vera!!!!closely followed by the oh great and georgeous one eileen :wub:

welcome to the forums anomally!! :)

Lemon Myrtle, I always pick a leaf and keep it in my pocket if I'm going somewhere important or feeling a bit nervous or something.

For example, today was the first day of my new job, and there was a nice thick fresh lemon myrtle leaf in my pocket the whole time :)

Welcome :)

Most useful plant? Hard call...

Would be a competition between the radiccio ( cos its healthy and convenient and good food for livers ) and the aloe vera and the Withania.

Withania wins on a family basis, we both use it daily and the benefits are enormous :)

Welcome to the forums and thanx for the excellent question.

in the vegie patch it's my parsly, followed by chilli.

in the ethno viridis and caapi.

coriander hands down - maybe rosemary and basil closely behind. In terms of yield brocolli was pretty good.

Parsly, basil and rocket.

The mandarin tree comes in pretty useful, though it's easy to go overboard with finding ways to use all of them... mandarin cake, mandarin liquer etc :rolleyes:

oregano, chives and garlic... no matter what food im making (usually italian food), those two make it taste so much better.

the ethno's just look pretty for me. its very rare that the plants actually have the advertised effects on me, so i just grow for the flowers now :)

the ethno's just look pretty for me. its very rare that the plants actually have the advertised effects on me, so i just grow for the flowers now :)

Yeah... I'm starting to believe the whole San Pedro rage is just a hoax myself... :P

Yeah... I'm starting to believe the whole San Pedro rage is just a hoax myself... :P

i dont eat my cacti, that would be illegal :)

but the other stuff (scelly, blue lotus, every other thing i've tried) leaves me wondering if i got the right stuff... sometimes i might get an effect for a few minutes...

G'day and welcome to Shaman Australis!

I would have to say the plants, or herbs that get used most in my garden would be basil and rosemary.

Nothing beats a Bruschetta with fresh tomatoes and home grown basil straight from the garden. Also roasted potatoes with fresh rosemary, garlic and olive oil.

Anyone else hungry now??

I ve just decided whats for dinner!! :lol:

Greetings and salutations..

As mentioned early, Aswagandha, Centella great for you and very easy top propagate.

Tomatoes, Chillis and Rosemary in the culinary stakes.

3 solancaeae outta 5 :wub:

different at different times

i use a lot of gotu kola in the summer to make a sweet drink

aloe vera for sunburn and kitchen burns

i *would* agree with bm and say coriander but I can't actually grow enough...I use tons of the stuff, so I don't bother growing it any more. it bolts far too easily in this weather

i'm using a lot of thyme these days -- for vegetables .. new trend for me

curry leaves a fair bit also for lentils ... i love this plant a lot .. very beautiful leaves/arrangement

in the past the most commonly used plant in the garden was the makrut lime leaves and zest (kaffir), and then thai basil (beautiful anise flavour, and so easy to grow)

i harvest heaps of brahmi to dry for tea also

also store bought tomatoes taste like crap (actually they don't have any flavour at all) so i have about 5 different varieties going so i never buy them anymore

i think i was sposed to pick one? :) sorry