The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
ferret

bridgesii pollen

ive got some fresh bridgesii pollen , give me a pm if youre interested

sorry that was a bit brief but i had to rush to avoid clicking over my next hour at the net cafe.

so yeah my neighbours first flower opened yesterday, no pics but ill take some next time i visit.

all the pollen off this flower has been claimed, but if youre interested let me know so i can get some for you in a couple of weeks when there should be a few dozen flowers

:D

sorry that was a bit brief but i had to rush to avoid clicking over my next hour at the net cafe.

so yeah my neighbours first flower opened yesterday, no pics but ill take some next time i visit.

all the pollen off this flower has been claimed, but if youre interested let me know so i can get some for you in a couple of weeks when there should be a few dozen flowers

:D

hey, I'm interested. How long is the pollen viable for?? Can Bridgesii be cross bred with a Scop or Pach? Is bridgesii self fertile? If they are, does pollinating the same species of Bridgesii just produce a lot more seeds?

yes trichs are very cross fertile

this would be worth a try on any trichocereus , and even into the echinopsis and lobivia family trees

i wanted to do a bridge scop cross but the bloody crows butchered my scop with 3 flower buds :(

so ive only got T pachanoi to X in about 2 weeks

but between the 2 plants i have about 29 flowers to pollinate

i might have to put up my hand for a few more cue tips if thats Ok

im so excited :)

but ill be more excited next year when i get another shot at the scopXbridge

BTW while they easily cross outwards between species they are for all intents self sterile

a lone cactus will produce a fertile seed maybe once in a blue moon, maybe, and i say this just as a caveat to the more likley 'never'

whereas distant relatives in proximity cross easily with or without human help

How long from pollination until seed set? I pollinated a trich a few weeks ago and now there is a fruit but how do i know when the seed is ready?

Edith, I don't know about Trichs, but cereus fruit turn red and split when ready.

ferret, many thanks for the pollen, arrived just in time, flower opened this arvo. pm me if you want some scop pollen in return. So rev, i've done the scop x bridg cross, will see if it takes.

Is there a right time to cross pollinate? should you do it straight away once the flower is open, or will it be receptive later, like later at night or early morn?

How long from pollination until seed set?
It's a slow process, give it a couple of months.
Is there a right time to cross pollinate?

I got full pollination doing it the following day but I doubt it matters.

thats about all i can send out without pimping my ass out front of the post office for stamps.

il get back to yas when the next batch blooms

i put E. seminuda on the bridge cos it's the only pollen i had. if anyone wants to donate any pollen feel free. theres dozens more flowers to come

it is exciting

:devil:

Hey Fezza - like your sigi - didnt know you were a fan of them.

Is there a right time to cross pollinate? should you do it straight away once the flower is open, or will it be receptive later, like later at night or early morn?

My understanding is that you want to pollinate the flower, the second it opens. That way it spends a whole day getting fertilised, and there should be maximum seed production.

I read this somewhere, but can't remember where. Supposedly the pollination actually stops once the flower closes, and it starts actually making babies. So, the longer the pollen has to do all the 'mixing', the better. :wink:

That sounds right Benz, the pollen hits the stigma, germinates and sends a tube down the style to the ovary to pollinate, and with such a long flower tube on the trichs, the longer the pollen has to reach the ovary before the flower decides nothing is going on and drops, the better. I guess you want to beat its own pollen hitting the stigma and clogging it up as well.

Some Trich fruit does not change colour when ripe. Certainly not to red. Some just go a more faded or beigey green. The best time to harvest is when it splits, so once it looks ripe it's a good diea to check daily.

the sooner you x pollinate the better

esp between species

for reasons above

i even pollinate before the flower opens up

good job Darcy :)

Provided im successful maybe i can trade u for some pachanoixbridge seed

provided i'm successful too :wink: i'm up for a trade rev. Flower is dying back but the base is still green after about a week since it opened.

good luck guys

i was reading Borg the other day, he mentioned misting the stigma with a (i think) honey water solution to help pollen stick... and also recommends tieing the petals closed to create a humid atmosphere to assist pollen germination.

anyone tried any of these methods before?

ive got some more pollen now, plenty to go around this time, send me a pm with your addys