The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
black

desert cocaine

ive been trying to track the plant used in pituri (pituri being used as a genaral term for a ball of mixed dried plant matiral)that has a cocaine like akaloid in it and is put with pituri to prevent hunger on long hunting trips and they chew it all DAY!its rare man ,i know this from my mum a dedicated aboriganal follower who has spent time in the desert and trieds some ,im wringing hear brain now but she cant remember,any how this what i know as i went searching for the plant in reigon called yalata,lower central,i spoke to a white guy who new the tribes men and he had said (they had that cocaine stuff and they burn it behind another plant and do somthing else then left with white powder)!!!!!!!!!!the tribes men dont help u at all if they dont know you and ar quite dangeros ,dont harrase this situation because as soon i would ask about it they just shune u ,u have to get to now them ,im in the process of bribing or begging my white guy interpritater who has been out there with them and has seen this stuff,thou he said they get it from more toward the central.then i read in one of latz books that he had tried it in pituri on one of his expoditions and that it takes away hunger and made him not worry about the situation him and his men were in,its out there but there is very littel onit so we need everyone on this baby ,ill go get it once we work out what plant it is ,iv also read that it was higly prized among trade roughts,whatever plant it is ,its the plant they refer to as (to prevent huger on hunting mission) ,,and i think it gets u of ya head,also another aboriganal man told me its in the bark of a certain ?and only avalabel a certan time,yep its a head ace ,but if we all get into it we will get it ,i seem to think it may be nicotinia cavicola cause of the cola,does any one no this plant?

hehe, also known as Pituri hopwoodii :P

I reckon best place for info is Erowid.org -_-

Also.. do a search here at the Forum and see what you find...

I better put my reading glasses on... :P

Dry, red, waterless soil????? Pituri (Duboisia hopwoodii) one of the thirstiest plants I know even though it grows in totally dry sand dunes. It cannot survive without tapping directly into the water table.

now listen everyone!

OK!!!

:lol:

Sorry, couldn't resist...

Quite a post. :o

but I really don't think you need any. :D

haha! Exactly! Sometimes the search is better than the find...

its not pituri duboso hopwoody ! PITURI has been so comenly used to describe by whites the mix of plant matirials in the form of a plug but to natives pituri is dubosso hopwoody not the whole mix,they have differant terms for diferante plants,like pituri, maturi,kuturi,and so forth.also the diferante combantions of plants used gives a diferant cobanation of efects which iam now calling aboriganal shamanism,they had understood there plants fully and new the desired afects of the cobanation of plant matirals,and the desert cocaine plant was much sourght after ,its no bull, its not dubusso hobwoody !whatever plant it is they say it is very rare and i think its from west central in wa dry waterless soil yes ha ha im just lovine that red dersert soil

two things:

1. edit: i am a git, please ignore my unnecessary comment. this i do feel is important though, wherever possible please use correct spelling for botanical names.

2. did you have a look at the link that hellofromthegutter posted? Erythroxylum australe sounds like the plant that you are talking about

1. punctuation, spelling and parapraphs. it makes it easier for everyone to read what you have to say, making them more inclined to do so. correct spelling should be used when talking about plants such as Duboisia hopwoodii. i hate to be picky but reading the first post made my brain hurt.

Not everyone has equal english skills so go easy

But Black, your posts are at the bottom end of the readability scale so if you can improve them it would help, and there is no reason to misspell botanical names.

The use of pituri as a collective term for smoking herbs/mixes does not originate with whites, but is the way it was originally applied by the aboriginal people of those areas. Pituri is often not Duboisia hopwoodii. To complicate things Duboisia hopwoodii mostly is not pituri either.

I also don't think this is Erythroxylum. These species grow in rainforest, savannah and sclerophyll respectively.

From the area you mention we have to assume anything from western SA to central WA. Off the top of my head I am not aware of any documented pituri additive or substitute from that area. It's also a long way from the Pituri/Duboisia hopwoodii area. Is there anything else you know about this species? Like what size plant it is? What part is used?

Not everyone has equal english skills so go easy

But Black, your posts are at the bottom end of the readability scale so if you can improve them it would help, and there is no reason to misspell botanical names.

im aware that not everyone has equal english skills and am sorry if i came across as attacking or insulting (wheres the smilie for sheepish!)

ok what does this sucker look like im in the pilbara desert i can go for a wander if i have some clues it is wildflower season right now

i hope genki's post hasn't upset black.

grammar and spelling is not so important.

it would be a pitty if black would stopp posting because you critized his spelling....

my gut feeling is that black has knowledge of something that is rare and mostly unknown, so i am eager to read more of what this member has to say.

in south america there is a plant which is called coca del suri (urmenetea atacamensis) it's used as coca substitute and grows in the dessert, so it's concieveable that a plant with coca like action (not an erythroxyllum) grows aswell in oz's dessert.

i am excited.

:blink:

sorry if i came across as attacking or insulting (wheres the smilie for sheepish!)

No drama B)

I just thought I was reading "On the Road" for a minute. :lol:

its not pituri duboso hopwoody ! PITURI has been so comenly used to describe by whites the mix of plant matirials in the form of a plug but to natives pituri is dubosso hopwoody not the whole mix,they have differant terms for diferante plants,like pituri, maturi,kuturi,and so forth.also the diferante combantions of plants used gives a diferant cobanation of efects which iam now calling aboriganal shamanism,they had understood there plants fully and new the desired afects of the cobanation of plant matirals,and the desert cocaine plant was much sourght after ,its no bull, its not dubusso hobwoody !whatever plant it is they say it is very rare and i think its from west central in wa dry waterless soil yes ha ha im just lovine that red dersert soil

i still think the plant should be officially renamed Dubosso hobwoody ;) That's just plain cool :worship:

comes in a close second to Tomer's excellent spelling for plants - "planets". That wins cos it's deep as well ;)

Hey Rimbo, wazzat you on the stall last saturday@marrickville community centre, also with an older lady on the scene ? Me and a mate wanted to have a chat about some small plants on offer, growing/environs type Q's etc but found there were a few others who had the attention at the time we were there - ie:the guy in the cool pink floyd shirt !!!! (PS: is the guy in the PF shirt a regular here ?? Expose thyself ! )

Maybe next time we rock down.......

Hey Rimbo, wazzat you on the stall last saturday@marrickville community centre, also with an older lady on the scene ? Me and a mate wanted to have a chat about some small plants on offer, growing/environs type Q's etc but found there were a few others who had the attention at the time we were there - ie:the guy in the cool pink floyd shirt !!!! (PS: is the guy in the PF shirt a regular here ?? Expose thyself ! )

Maybe next time we rock down.......

yep was probably me :) undeniably good looking, very tall, serious, weighty dialogue, flowing hair, many women around me etc? Yep. You've read my file. ;) just kidding.

the lady next to me sells tadpoles! and then the other one on the other side sells gollywog dolls, for which she has been accused of being politically incorrect, even though most of the gollywog dolls are white, and she is a lovely person. and there is a lady opposite me who is a naturopath. She was selling good quality salvia smudge sticks last week, along with various natural products like american ginseng, all sorts of stuff. Pretty good markets really. Will improve as time passes. Good demographic.

dunno who the pink floyd guy was... i'd say a solid 5% of all visitors to my stall are attired in Pink Floyd accoutrement ;)

two things:

1. edit: i am a git, please ignore my unnecessary comment. this i do feel is important though, wherever possible please use correct spelling for botanical names.

2. did you have a look at the link that hellofromthegutter posted? Erythroxylum australe sounds like the plant that you are talking about

its not erythroxylum australis ,desert cocaine is from the desert! and sorry about the spelling i was in a rush geek

i hope genki's post hasn't upset black.

grammar and spelling is not so important.

it would be a pitty if black would stopp posting because you critized his spelling....

my gut feeling is that black has knowledge of something that is rare and mostly unknown, so i am eager to read more of what this member has to say.

in south america there is a plant which is called coca del suri (urmenetea atacamensis) it's used as coca substitute and grows in the dessert, so it's concieveable that a plant with coca like action (not an erythroxyllum) grows aswell in oz's dessert.

i am excited.

:blink:

thank you plant helper , genki did upset me ,australian natives is my main topic ,plus i have a littel aboriganal blood (related to mundine the boxer)so when im out the feild i am black.aboriganal pharmacopia is of cutting edge ,almost unpractesed today and on the brink of being lost forever as australia continues to eroad and dry out! i see this forum as a gang or team of peopel devoted to oz natives helping each other helping them selfs and in greater part helping oz natives ,shore i cant spell ,but its the meanining that counts

ok what does this sucker look like im in the pilbara desert i can go for a wander if i have some clues it is wildflower season right now

your in the pilbra holy #*??## man thats so cool , its a small plant VERY RARE found somwhere in the desrert ,west central , i know is its used in pituri to prevent hunger ,and that its kept a secret by tribesmen for trading ,very littel in known about this plant,thou i think its nicotinia cavicola

The use of pituri as a collective term for smoking herbs/mixes does not originate with whites, but is the way it was originally applied by the aboriginal people of those areas. Pituri is often not Duboisia hopwoodii. To complicate things Duboisia hopwoodii mostly is not pituri either.

I also don't think this is Erythroxylum. These species grow in rainforest, savannah and sclerophyll respectively.

From the area you mention we have to assume anything from western SA to central WA. Off the top of my head I am not aware of any documented pituri additive or substitute from that area. It's also a long way from the Pituri/Duboisia hopwoodii area. Is there anything else you know about this species? Like what size plant it is? What part is used?

its is a small rare plant,it is active and gives a cocaine like feeling ,causes saliver ,prevents hunger on hunting trips ,was highly prized amongst trade roughts ,and yes not much documentaion ,refer to my origanal post for the clues,just remeber desert cocaine is the plant used in pituri to prduce saliva ,and prevent hunger ,and they chew it all day,so to speak.and is leting me think its from the remote desert expances of central wa ,west central and into sa towards yalata ,thanks

your spelling is good, it was the botanical name that i was referring to. i appologise for my porely thought out, porely worded post and im glad to see that you are still here. im going to get back in my box now where i will egerly await any new updates you have for us.

i belive its nicotinia cavi cola ,im asking yowie to get a sampel he is closest to the baby