The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
NastySpill

Melb Season

It has not rained here in weeks! Every damn day is sunny, each night is crystal clear and cold(maybe a little damp), but its just not wet. Im starting to wonder if its getting too late. A few bush walks have been just that - bush walks nothing more. Last one was 2 weeks ago, before that march - early.

What are other people finding - or not finding. :( :confused:

im finding myself becoming very frustrated with this fine ass weather

its a little bit agravating isn't it! where is the rain!!! I've been out in the bush the last few weeks and ther has been some interesting stuff but nothing INTERESTING . Flys are growing in the early morning mist but then just getting fried by the sun in the avo.

There is no way it's too late in the season, it's barely even begun. There have been some big discoveries already which was mind blowing since they were struggling around here but in full swing further south.

Subs are out there, but can be a pain to find. And i know they are still popping up cause a known small patch has had them evolving over the last 2 weeks(-ish ??) Not reaching mature sizes cause of dry weather, but still kicking along.

Landscaped woodchipped beds with good shade and plenty of H20. Grassed woodchiped areas seem to go off like 10 frogs in a sock.

I've been wanting to find wild specimens growing off solely leaf litter and degraded natural wood fallen twigs etc. but am always out of luck and very disheartened.

Landscaped beds are the go and always leave a smile on ye face...plus lots of good pics on zee camera.

Maybe try and look in areas of water drainage ,bottom of hills, possible south facing hills as they will be alot more moist and have more broader leaf vegetation = more shade, moister conditions, good humidity = mushy wonderland.

[ 19. May 2005, 09:07: Message edited by: gerbil ]

Hey everyone!

I have been having a bit of a look around at bit, but it hasnt been damp enough i dont think. I'm just starting out so i dont have much experience, but i have found some spots near a few creeks that look like they could be good in a few weeks. Its hard to know though....

btw thanks for the tips!

WOW Gerbil must know some kewl spots.

generally it is abit too dry, but i

totally agree it's nowhere near too late.

Queens birthday weekend is the traditional hunting time, so i'm told.

Patience mushroom people

In my opinion you when the time is right , you just look out side and go "dam , it's been raining alot lately" and there is usually snow on the hills. Paitence ..... :P

There is something about those 'little fellas' that deserves a higher level of respect. I have dreams about them almost always before it rains, this time of year. Which to me means in some way they are calling me. But I know not where from. So now these dreams are tormenting me. I woke up on Tuesday after one such dream. I looked in the yard, there was a heavy damp / light rain during the night. But my meterological mind is telling me - too early - no rain. I'd always seen the appearance of chestnuts as the herald of the season. Must have been wrong. I'll switch to The Queens birthday.

Thanks for the season correction. I am still excited - its better than christmas!

nah not really nabraxas, every year is a struggle but you learn more about how they like it. This one patch was a very lucky find. Heaps of the creek colonies got wiped out with the floods, nothing but textile underlays left, but a positive is that fresh reveg+barkchip will be done for future years.

There are some other melb people who have had good finds so far this year, they spend a fair bit of time searching afaik which is always the way to go.

Lots of different mushrooms starting to pop up around here, flys must be around hopefully.

yep the fly's are out in my garden, but i'm not really interested, bring on the sub's!

we are having a drought which means were fucked. Last year around this time there were mushrooms EVERYWHERE and i'm not just talking about subs.

i remember 2001- mushies were popping up everywhere in march.

Its been raining a bit this week, and it looks like it will continue so we may have some better luck soon :)

quote:

Originally posted by matty:

Flys are growing in the early morning mist but then just getting fried by the sun in the avo. [/QB]

rn't flys meant to be more potent if sundried narually(??)

it's just started having a few good rains down here so hopeffully soon we might b in luck!

These rains have been nice, a heap more would be better hehehe

last few days has been the first time it really felt like mushroom season when you walk outside, at least to me it did.

Recent pics (yesterday/today), alot are still struggling by the look of it, they don't mature or mature into smaller specimens. But it's probably just my area, as i've said people have found large mature ones before more rain already, so location is very important, if they aren't in swing in one place, try another completely different location 'cause they are out there.

normal_3%20specimens.jpg

normal_umbo%20n%20youngin.jpg

[ 27. May 2005, 03:49: Message edited by: gerbil ]

don't know psycho, in one gnomes experience potency wasn't the problem, dosage was, they had too much, spewed and spent the rest of the night immobilised while visually tripping. like smacked out acid. they were turned off them after that. :confused:

Subs in March that would have been mad, sadly I wasn't picking mushrooms back then anyhow the shrooms are starting to pop up now so I'm going to go and enjoy them well there here :D :D :D

Yeh,Mushroom season is here found a couple of hundred at a park near my house, had a dream that I ate about 30 of them fresh and triped really hard. Got some photos i took from my phone but have know idea how to get them up :D :)

[ 30. May 2005, 09:00: Message edited by: jabez ]

cheers jabez, sounds like time to start looking, i haven't bothered this year yet. as others have said "it just didnt feel right"

Same patch, still coming on nicely, but slowly.

Saw some in very public places today, very grubby polluted barkchips :mad: they were a little dehydrated / over mature, no cover for them at all.

normal_Sub%2030-5-05.jpg

normal_subs%2030-5-05.jpg

Yum, you must have good will-power Gerbil! :D

Do they grow in the inner city areas as well?

Yeah they are so bloody fascinating watching them push their way through the bark chips and slowly maturing. Even the colour changes and patterns you see in the cap are phenomenal when they are growing, then you get to see it more drasticly when you take prints (to positively ID, then of course in the compost). The evolving colours, textures, odours is something everyone should witness IMO. There's something about watching psilocybes grow or finding a single specimen that really plays with my head, in a good way though, it's kind of like what shulgin said when he took a psychedelic, it brought him back to his thought process as a kid, complete fascination. And that's simply looking at them.

Ah mate, you've got me going now, time to walk and visit the little fellas. :cool:

And yes, they are found towards the city. I think BM said once he found one smack bang in the city growing near heaps of concrete etc.

BM, this correct??

i dont see why not, i know where a patch grows in a garden in the middle of the road in a built up south eastern suburb

yeah ive seen em growing right up against the kerb along a main road in richmond

:mad:

[ 03. June 2005, 04:16: Message edited by: ferret ]