The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Manisobsolete

WA season

Has anyone been hunting this season yet? theres beena few rains and theres lbms popping all over the place where i am in perth. just wondering how down south is looking

i used to live in the southwest and the earliest i found "subs" was late april. i was checking each week a couple of times a week im not sure if rain is the determining factor or cold? any way best of luck and please let me know how u go

excellent - the first of the season are best.

A question or three...

With regards to mushrooming in W.A, is there any point of going to Balingup during the prime season, or is it just crawling with cops? Also where have people had luck with successful finds in the south west? I'm not asking for exact spots, just localities if you will...

[ 30. March 2005, 00:14: Message edited by: YoWiE ]

balingup in prime season is crawling with cops but if your smart about it and look up the surrounding geography then your usually ok, i only saw them around jayes rd. i could have got lucky though, apparently theres about 100 shroom hunters cought over the course of the season.

100 shroom hunters caught. That sux.

If people were to go looking, what would be the best advice if getting sprung looked imminent? And what are the repurcussions?

Quite frankly I believe that its not just magical Balingup but more to do with the river if you get my drift.

100! i had no diea the cops even really busted people doing this...

how far would claiming ignorance go? "a what mushroom? magic? what? i was just lookin for something to put in my pepper steak gravy...."

http://www.calm.wa.gov.au/tourism/bibbulmu...mun_splash.html

this walking track wich runs through the balingup forrestt on jayes can be helpful for nightime navigation as it is marked with reflective yellow markers :) also this makes "trespassing" a police man might say such a word, not true because this is the longest marked walk trail in australia so u are legally entitled to walk in the feild good luck! a good idea is to walk part of the trail incorporating the shroomies and continue your hike after the visit. :)

"From Collie the trail winds through jarrah forest to the Glen Mervyn Dam and crosses on the dam wall before descending to the tiny settlement of Mumballup, on the Donnybrook/Boyup Brook Road. Beyond, a steep climb through farmland leads to the Noggerup Conservation Park and one of the best stands of virgin jarrah forest in the south west. Indeed, the trail either side of the Lowden-Grimwade Rd displays Western Australia's unique jarrah forest at its best.

The descent to Balingup Brook is steep but the walk along the Brook into Balingup itself is picturesque and rural. South of town the trail climbs through the Golden Valley Tree Park and climbs again to the rim of the Blackwood Valley, and some spectacular views. The first karri trees on the Track are to be found just north of the Brockman Highway, between Bridgetown and Nannup."

this description is from the site

[ 30. March 2005, 21:04: Message edited by: YoWiE ]

quote:

If people were to go looking, what would be the best advice if getting sprung looked imminent? And what are the repurcussions?

Claiming ignorance might work like smogs said especially if you had some eatables on you or even munch them down before they can get them or even better throw them back and deny ever even seeing them or being there to pick mushrooms, they can’t finger print them. I think, and most lawyers will tell you that denial is the best medicine when dealing with those jokers. :D

Yeh, that’s what you do throw them away state your name and address and what you were doing there (walking or bird watching, whatever) and then say no comment to every question they say after that. They wont charge you if they cant prove it and if there really that desperate to get an easy charge under there belt you’ll never get a conviction for it!!!!!!!!! :D :D

JUST DON’T ADMIT IT

[ 06. April 2005, 10:50: Message edited by: jabez ]

for any crime if you say NOTHING not even "no comment" then the chances of you getting off are a fuckload better...

most people convict themselves by trying to lie and forgetting what they said

:)

The cops have been getting more and more full on down around the Jayes Rd area... They will actually hang out in the forest and bust you when you pick now. Rather than just pulling over cars....

Your best bet is to try similar locations, as they have definantly spread around the place over the last 15 or so years....

I'd be interested to know the farthest location from Jayes Rd that anyone has ever found subs....

In the last few years especially....

Plenty of people get through, but plenty get caught also... The amount of total dick heads that hang around during the season is enough to guarentee more and more police each year unfortunately...

A few experienced pickers I know from nearby towns don't bother going to the Jayes Rd site anymore, one got caught immediately after picking mushies, not getting pulled over later on..

Having said this, they only seem to pick certain times to flood the place... The last two times I have been down there there was no cops, but not many mushies either....

focus:

Having said this, they only seem to pick certain times to flood the place... The last two times I have been down there there was no cops, but not many mushies either....

They need authorisation from property owner and higher ups for operations involving >X number of officers, and can't simply hang around all the time.

Unless you’re on someone’s property why would they bust you, I mean on what grounds. Any cop that charges people for small amount’s of drugs is doing more damage to society than the drug it self, are you sure people are really getting busted for mushroom picking or is it just some myth or scare tactic some clown spread down the grape vine

I saw on the news last year that they busted about 100 shroomers over the season, i'm guessing they do it for the publicity more than anything else. the public always like to hear about the "war on drugs" being fought and it makes the cops look good in the eyes of the people who hand out the pay checks. when you go down there pick and then stash them somewhere until you know its safe to take them. theres alot of gravel tracks around balingup and its surrounding towns that are useful for avoiding the cops. my suggestion is that anyone who goes down there hunting gets a topographic ?? map from calm and looks for places with similar conditions to jayes rd.

[ 07. May 2005, 14:48: Message edited by: Manisobsolete ]

Never having been to Jayes Rd I don't know where the mushrooms are found, but looking at a map I am guessing it is north of the townsite? It also sounds like the police don't have to go too far to find the hunters.

I would agree with Manisobsolete that a topographic map and some deductive reasoning would be the best way to find new locations, and I wouldn't be suprised if shrooms were found along a 50km stretch of the river north and south when the conditions were right.

hmm i wonder how many of the people busted are people just lookin for a once off good time and how many are people collecting large amounts to sell later on

Umm no, this is no myth... I have just mentioned people I know who have been caught, and who have witnessed the police down there.. I was pulled over twice, whilst staying in the area last year and the year before...

A documentary been made about the situation in Balingup, with footage of people being busted (7+ years ago), as well numerous press reports surfacing every year.

The most frequented patches are on crown land, so you are trespassing if the police want to call it that way. You are also in possesion of psilocybin etc if you pick them. They also search as many cars as they can in the area, especially if they look dodgy..

Heaps of people get away with it, and it's fun for sure, but totally different to picking in the Eastern States in terms of risk level.

Interestingly enough pickers have also been targeted north of Auckland in Nz in a similar way. The cops were looking for dope crops on mountain bikes, and discovered & searched nervous looking pickers in a National Park.

For the record, claiming ignorance will not help you at all... Better to say nothing. There is very little reason to be hanging around the spots that the cops watch, and if you have mushies, you're busted.. You can say your hiking along the Bibbulmun track, but the mushies are off the track, and once again on crown land...

This info is just to make people aware of the situation, not too scare anyone off..

There must not be many criminals in WA, it gets me really pissed that the jacks would waste resources on meaningless tasks like this :mad: . If they ever pull you over do a cheech and chong and eat them all so they have no evidence

[ 05. May 2005, 11:46: Message edited by: jabez ]

thats a good point... whats worse possesion or driving under the influence?