The Corroboree

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Torsten

SAB is back

well, it's been another exciting week (not really - these server problems are time consuming and tedious).

Anyway, as the story goes, our previous host kicked us off for 'policy reasons'. After I complained and demanded my money back they started carrying on about excessive CPU usage etc. Whatever reason they had for getting rid of us, we had to go.

So we moved to yet another server. I had the choice of using a 2 weeks old back up or waiting for the 'host from hell' to give me access to our most recent files. It took them 4 days to make these files available.

May I just say that ace-host.net sucks!

First one of their servers gets kernel hacked and they lose everything on it (including my hoodia site) and then while still apologising for that fuck up they go and delete the SAB site.

In case anyone missed it - ace-host.net sucks!!!

At least now I know how they make their money... they let you pay for a year's hosting and then kick you off after 3 months without refund. Hanging out on some webmaster forums I found this is their normal modus operandus.

So, the forums are back with no loss at all. The chat room is working. Most of the other little utilities are working again too. I am still struggling with the gallery, so please be patient.

ah what a dodgy company, they'll have bad luck one day.

thanks for all the effort put into the problems, I'm sure plenty of us would go nuts without the forums.

tis much appreciated.

Originally posted by gerbil:

ah what a dodgy company, they'll have bad luck one day.

they had bad luck today when I did a credit card charge back for all 4 domains I hosted there

You legend ( again! ) Torsten, thanks for this. I know it took a helluva lot of mucking around yet again to keep us here, and we appreciate it :D

Yes, thanks Torsten...

i hope there'll be better luck with the server this time.

Thanks guys!

Having a bit of a problem with the gallery software. Turns out that it has some serious flaws which only become a problem when you try to move galleries from one server to another. It locks in permissions on the folders holding the pictures, so that I can neither upload nor edit the content. I am going to have a try at installing it on the old sab.com domain to see if the different operating system makes a difference (it has for some others who had the same problems). Failing that I may need to use a different piece of software and we'll have to start the gallery again :(

There goes my saturday night...

wow, that was a quick recovery actually .. cheers torsten !

still love this place..very much appreciated

I wonder,

Do you have broadband access in your area?

If so, you may wish to buy a mac (OS X has full server functionality) get another cheap PC box to serve as a firewall and you'll be in business. I may even been cheaper in the long run.

of course you'll have a lot of traffic via the cable line

but that should not be a problem as it's not going to be treated as a hosting issue but someone watching ALOT of TV

just a thought.. ..

it's been done by other people with volume websites.

Glad to see you are up and about, Torsten. You can't keep a good man down. I'm also glad you had the last word on that bunch trying to rip you off. It's incredible they can do that with no legal repercussions. It's not enough you got your money back, they should be hung out to dry. Anyway, good luck with the new host.

Stoney

ohhh, that was a long night. I won't bore you all with the details, but the bottom line is we now have a new gallery. It's a much better piece of software and should also not cause any problems if we ever have to move again (I did a trial move between servers just to be sure).

Pity that this new gallery won't have all the pics from the previous one, but at least it has a 'batch upload' feature, so I hope everyone will help out in putting all those pics back up there

This new gallery has so many more features for both the user and the admin. It is a little more difficult to grasp, but there is lots of support and documentation out there. Just look for the 'coppermine gallery' or ask here.

I will add more albums (but not categories) as the gallery grows, so feel free to just put pics in the 'other' album and I will create new albums as needed and shift pics into them. eg, if you have a few pics of Kava turning up, then I will create a Piperaceae album and shift them into it.

enjoy!!

stoney - re ace-host.net, I have pasted my story on about 15 webmaster/hosting forums, which quickly got the hosts attention ... screw them...

Guest electro

yur effort & time is much appreciated .. thanks torsten

...hopefully this is the last time you have to go through that...

Much thanks T :) :cool: :D

Yep, I would like to echo those thanks. I know what it's like to spend hours in front of the monitor till the wee small hours getting that web presence back with so many people waiting..well done Torsten!! :):)

Welcome back Crew;)

Unfortunatly I had to reformat my Pc last week and lost all my music and picture files so I cant put my pics back in the gallery

re the pics, I actually still have all of them on a back up. I just can't get them into the gallery with the right credits and captions etc. I was thinking of putting them all up on a html page so people can just grab them from there and import them into the gallery. It's time consuming for both myself and the owners, but I think it will be worth it. No hurry though.

I will also recreate the path for the original gallery picture locations, so that any pics used in the forums will be embedded again.

Can you dump them at photobucket or somewhere similar and post the UN/PW?

Just a thought :)

A sincere Thanks T for teh time put in

Yeah thanks T! This site has been amazingly beneficial/informative/time killing to me, and im sure to many other "noobs" in the business :D

Hey thnxs Torsten Without this site i would go crazy no one to share ideas and info with :) its good to find ppl who feel the same about things as i do