The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Torsten

Louisiana prohibiting large range of ethnobotanicals.

Homegrown hallucinogens

Friday, March 04, 2005

Most people look at the periwinkle and see a hardy bedding plant that will make flower beds look colorful all summer long. But others look at Vinca rosea and other common plants used in landscaping and see a way to get high.

People should be able to use periwinkle, morning glory, angel's trumpet and other plants with hallucinogenic properties to beautify their gardens. But they shouldn't be allowed to turn them into drugs. A bill filed by Rep. Michael Strain would make doing so a crime.

House Bill 20 targets 40 different hallucinogenic plants, making it illegal to produce, possess or distribute anything containing them for human consumption. The penalty for producing or distributing such products would be two to 10 years in jail and a fine of up to $20,000. Possession would carry a term of up to five years and a fine of up to $5,000. The penalties are comparable to those for other hallucinogens.

The bill is a reasonable response to a rash of problems last summer. Two Des-trehan teenagers had to be hospitalized after drinking angel's trumpet tea, and three Kenner youths landed in the hospital after drinking Kool-Aid laced with angel's trumpet.

Following those incidents, the Kenner City Council and New Orleans City Council adopted ordinances aimed at angel's trumpet. But a statewide law that deals not only with angel's trumpet but other highly toxic plants is needed.

Ingesting these plants is quite dangerous. The hallucinogenic effects themselves can prompt bizarre and risky behavior. Kenner Police said one teenager high on angel's trumpet tried to jump off a roof, and another tried to take a bite out of his own arm. But the plants are also highly toxic. Angel's trumpet causes fever, blurred vision, urine retention and delirium. A Florida teenager died from its effects.

When a flower stops being a flower and becomes a drug, it's appropriate to treat it as such. This bill won't prevent everybody from carrying on dangerous experiments with plants from the backyard, but it will show that Louisiana is taking the hazard seriously.

===========================================

The list of plants:

Brugmansia arborea.

Amanita muscaria.

Conocybe spp.

Panaeolus spp.

Psilocybe spp.

Stropharia spp.

Vinca rosea.

Ipomoea violacea.

Datura spp.

Pancreatium trianthum.

Kaempferia galanga.

Olmedioperebea sclerophylla.

Mesembryanthemum spp.

Virola spp.

Anadenanthera peregrina.

Anadenanthera colubrina.

Erythina spp.

Genista canariensis.

Mimosa hostilis.

Rhynchosia spp.

Sophora secundiflora.

Peganum harmala.

Banisteriopsis spp.

Tetrapteris methystica.

Heimia salicfolia.

Tabernanthe iboga.

Prestonia amazonica.

Ipomoea violacea.

Rivea corymbosa.

Salvia divinorum.

Atropa belladonna.

Hyoscyamus niger.

Mandragora officinarum.

Brunfelsia spp.

Methysticodendron amesianum.

Wow it almost looks like the index from "Plants of the Gods"...wonder how the authorities worked this one out so soon? :rolleyes:

I mean are they gonna cut down willow trees in that state?

Hell a lot more people die from aspirin products than brugs surely?

[ 08. March 2005, 21:48: Message edited by: Maca ]

At least it wasn't full of propaganda...if you ask me it sounded like a pretty good introduction to the more hardcore ethnogens for people who wanted them heh.

Virola spp.? I was under the impression this was already illegal under federal US drug laws.

Vinca rosea? True, more toxic then fun... makes you wonder though would they arrest cancer victims who were too poor for proper medical aid and actually knew how to use this on themselves properly?

Ipomoea violacea is lised twice... they must really dislike that one

Heimia salicifolia? From all I've read when used as an intoxicant it doesnt induce risky behavior- and it has several herbal-medicine applications depending on how its processed, febrifuge and sleep-aid for instance.

I do have mixed feelings about tropanaceous plant drugs. Most kids that hear of them as intoxicants get information that may make them sound far less dangerous and much more 'fun' then they turn out being, the result is lots of dumb kids getting hurt. But the same goes for alcohol- turn on the telly here and you see images of guys surrounded by beautiful women because of his choice in beer or hard liquor. People need to learn personal accountability and to properly investigate new, potentially hazardous, activities before participating. More legislation and propoganda wont help the situation.

Oh... as for S. divinorum and M. hostilis... they must be afraid people who arent ready will take them and get a crash course in respecting the raw power and beauty of nature

so basically sow the seeds that are not illegal to posses everywhere in Louisiana.

House Bill 20 targets 40 different hallucinogenic plants, making it illegal to produce, possess or distribute anything containing them for human consumption.

GREY AREA????Doesnt say that you can not have them as landscaping plants. They have to find you guilty of PRODUCTION, POSSESION or Anything containoing them for HUMAN CONSUMPTION. So if it is just an ornamental in your yard.

BTW am sure that daturas grow wild in Louisana. So will Yopo if you sow the seeds Muha hahahahhahah "Growling mad scientist laughter"

I thought Psilocybe mushrooms and Tabernanthe iboga were already illegal. Interesting.

I find it very alarming that so many plants are lumped into one bill like this. Could each plant possibly get fair consideration? It seems as though the list will just all be regarded as "drugs". :rolleyes:

I'm surprised no Trichs made the list.

I'm glad I don't live in that state...

Hehe good luck outlawing a plant that companies have been selling as a landscaping plant for decades. (re Trichs)

The bill does not outlaw the growing of a plant. It only outlaws the sale of the plant material. ie, it probably comes down to a definition of 'preparation' again.

quote:

House Bill 20 targets 40 different hallucinogenic plants, making it illegal to produce, possess or distribute anything containing them for human consumption.

I thought produce means no grow? I could be wrong. Prove me wrong! :D

EDIT: Also, the article states that angels trumpet causes urine retention...I thought it was a diuretic?

[ 09. March 2005, 12:56: Message edited by: apothecary ]

So it looks like you can grow and prepare these plants if you intend to treat your dog :D

Wish I had a dog :(

If anyone has a cutting, or dog seeds, pm me! :P

Seriously though, I want a dog

I was thinking Politiciana spp.

Apoth:As far as I know Datura and related plants have a somewhat drying effect.

[ 10. March 2005, 00:19: Message edited by: mescalito ]

illegal to produce, possess or distribute anything containing them for human consumption. ---

i think the key word is "containing".

'producing' the plants is ok, but 'producing' any pills, powders or potions containing them isn't.

The list is curious, to say the least. If all the hubbub is about kids taking datura, which grows almost everywhere, then what are mimosa hostilis and anadenathera spp. doing on the list? They might grow in Lousiana, but they're not exactly popular landscaping plants. Obviously, somebody's been lurking around some ethnobotany sites.

This bill is a template for future omnibus anti-plant legislation, I fear, due to the ease with which this list can be cut and pasted into other docs by any small time polititcian looking to make a name for himself. It certainly falls under Ott's definition of a "constitutionally vague" law, to say the least.

the beginning of the end i guess ... bye bye smartshops ...

mescalito:

mescalito:

Politiciana Australis var John Howard! Definitely a plant worth banning.

[ 10. March 2005, 09:22: Message edited by: apothecary ]

"Politiciana Australis var John Howard! Definitely a plant worth banning."

I wouldn't think of that as a plant...more of a fungus that we can't get rid of.

-bumpy

I would love to see someone pouring a large bucket of super phosphate onto John Howard.

quote:

I wouldn't think of that as a plant...more of a fungus that we can't get rid of.

Yeah, plants are producers, it's definitely a parasite, (though it sometimes may occur as a coprophile in the USA).

Phallus sp. perhaps?

Apothecary- they're right about the urine retention. Tropanes block the parasympathetic nervous system through acetylcholine antagonism, thus reducing secretion of urine, saliva, tears, mucus, sweat, and stomach acid/enzymes, and elimination of faeces.

This (Louisiana) is the same state that tried to ban baggy pants on boys and exposed midriffs on girls, while at the same time allowing self serve frozen daquiri dispensers on the streets of New Orleans...

It must be all that humidity and christianity leading to such logical thinking :rolleyes:

Originally posted by apothecary:

I would love to see someone pouring a large bucket of super phosphate onto John Howard.

Or maybe ammonium nitrate

Such laws give capalitistic monopoly.

I think that might be good.

Who needs government approval as some would say with taxation.