The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
theobromos

Cannabis death

A man was recently hospitalised in Granada in Spain after ingesting 580 grammes of hashish. He was suffering from severe abdominal pain and later died. Also putting a hemp noose round your neck can be dangerous. Incorrigible criminals used to be called crackhemps.

i'm curious,what the cause of death would be?

didn't think you could die from anything in hash.

t s t .

Intestinal blockage perhaps?

sounds like sMuggling to me.

Especially cause of the amount ingested....

dont know the volume that 580 grams hasj takes up...

but I know that good cocain smugglers, swallow 500 to 800 grams.

[ 06. July 2003, 10:48: Message edited by: brian ]

"Hey man..it was only an ambulance man.... "(Mexican accent) :D :cool:

Im curious,what the cause of death would be?

Maybe he asphyxiated while laughing- or from eating too many tim tams?

Don't try this at home kids...

No offence theo,

But I think its bad publicity

to call this a cannabis death until we know the facts of what he actually died from.

Personaly I dont think the hash did it.

I agree with auxin.

MOJO.

From the Legalise Cannabis Alliance website:

"At present it is estimated that marijuana's LD-50 is around 1:20,000 to 1:40,000 ... in order to induce death a marijuana smoker would have to consume 20,000 to 40,000 times as much marijuana as is contained in one marijuana cigarette. A smoker would theoretically have to consume nearly 1,500 pounds of marijuana within about fifteen minutes to induce a lethal response."

How would this translate into hash? I recall reading about lethal doses in lab animals some time ago, I think muscles relax to a point where you stop breathing and the heart stops pumping. Still, 580g of hash doesn't sound like enough.

[ 08. July 2003, 15:06: Message edited by: mrwest ]

Well, I agree with Auxin except for the "perhaps". Hence the reported "severe abdominal pain", probably the packaging never opened so he wasn't exposed to any hashish just the volume of 58 middle fingers.

He was, however, exposed to the distortions of price and availability due to the laws against Cannabis which led directly to his death. This is a Cannabis Death, but the publicity is surely pro-legalisation.

LD50 is not the best indication of safety, it is the level at which half of all subjects die when exposed to the substance. For safety it is best to know the LD00, the level at which none of the subjects die but above which some might die. The LDs are usually given as a weight per body weight, not as a ratio, can someone explain the meaning of the ratio?

nabraxas, did you go to my old school or are you a member of the Order of the Garter? The only good thing about my school was the motto, my favourite motto. Good story to go with it, too.

Its too bad the Legalise Cannabis Alliance resorts to blatant propoganda, it hurts the cause at least as much as the anti-marijuana propoganda. No matter what plant your talking about, smoking five pounds in fifteen minutes would be fatal- suffocation, CO poisoning, resperatory paralysis, or simple clogging of the lungs from tar can all kill at that level. If pro-cannabis people lie, the general public will think that the government lies must be closer to the truth and the pro-cannabis folks just want to get high.

Pro-cannabis people are slaves to a repressive system of government- the truth shall set us free.

If you try to smoke your bodyweight in pot in one day you will die.

Getting blasted and driving around in your car can be almost as dangerous as drunk driving.

Cannabis is not a miracle cure- it is a symptom management medicine.

It is NOT PHYSIOLOGICALLY addictive.

ANYTHING can be PSYCHOLOGICALLY addictive, especially things that feel good.

Cannabis does not cure alcoholism.

Cannabis can help some people cure themselves of alcoholism.

Cannabis is physiologically addictive. Tolerance develops and Cannabis has a mild physiological withdrawal syndrome including diarrhoea and increased pressure within the eye. Dependence may be purely psychological and rarer than with other drugs but is reinforced by the withdrawal syndrome. Psychological effects in withdrawal can be nasty, I am sure most people know someone who can't give up though it is ruining their lives. You have to smoke a lot for a long time, but that isn't too difficult. I hear.

From http://www.mydr.com.au

"Withdrawal

Abrupt termination of cannabis use can produce a mild withdrawal syndrome. Symptoms include sleep disturbance, irritability, loss of appetite and consequent weight loss, nervousness, anxiety, sweating and upset stomach. Sometimes chills, increased body temperature and tremors occur. The withdrawal syndrome usually lasts for less than a week, although the sleep disturbances may persist for a longer period."

And an interesting overview on http://www.drugscience.org/pt/cc14.htm though they ignore the obvious links with cannabinoid receptors throughout the body (in the gut, for example) and the withdrawal effects.

I spent a decade stoned every single day, I tried to convince myself I couldnt quit so I'd have an excuse to smoke it daily, but when I did quit I did it with no trouble at all and the only 'symptom' of withdrawl I observed was simply needing to adjust to a new routine- took about a week before my mind got reaccustomed to going to sleep sober and being clearheaded after 8:01 pm.

This phenomonon (sp?) is common to many people I've known over the years, I've never seen first hand a case of physiological pot withdrawl. If such a thing does exist its evidently much weaker than coffee withdrawl.

just keep your reward centre, "rewarded".

travel, read, have treats.

many people HAVE TO return to pot, because they use it as an analgestic, appetizer, asthma treatment, or even because of epilepsy and the list goes on...

pot is less problematic, than panadol.

Must agree,everything you do 'habitually' has an effect on your everyday patterns,ie. 'What am I going to do now that I'm not doing the things I'm used to?'

Change can be a frightening experience,proof that placebo's ,moral support or weaning off habits/drugs can work!

I believe 'psycho'-'logical' problems are induced,because we are naturally resistant to change.

I'm sure most people who undergo habit changes/withdrawl symptoms can get physically sick.

I used to consume 6-8 cups of coffee / day,'till I realised this shit was inducing panic,yet I didn't feel like I could cope without it!

Like anything, I guess..gentle removal will cause less 'shock' :confused: :confused:

The last few months i slipped into smoking several times a day and overall dont think it was good for me, started affecting work and my social life, its such an easy thing to use to put off worries and other problems in life but it only caused me more problems lately, so i am cutting back to only very occasional usage (i dont believe marijuana use is wrong or anything). Todays my first entire day straight in probably 2 months and its nice having some clarity of thought instead of being in a perpetually hazy world.

[ 23. July 2003, 11:45: Message edited by: deaders ]

Yeah, the old 'brain soup' can be a difficult thing to balance,I'm starting to think that -if it tastes foul..it's probably good for you, and, if it makes you feel good,then, moderation is the key!! :confused: :confused: :confused:

Try hotknifing (and vapourising) the best quality continuously throughtout the day as often as your lungs can cope with. Try this for several years. Then you might notice a withdrawal when you stop.