The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Thelema

SBS friday 8:30-"shamans of the amazon"

you beat me to it thelema :)

just like to also mention 2 films overlapping each other on saturday night-on abc @ 22:30 the 1933 version ov King Kong- a classic; & on sbs @ 22:00 Fitzcarraldo- w/the amazing klaus kinski-

(also on @ 01:00 on ch.9 is Deliverance- w/is pretty crap, but anyone wanting to watch a film at 1am saturday night, will probably enjoy it

On tonight, don't forget

thanks gerbil :) i would've missed that

a friend of mine said he heard shamans of the amazon was talked about on the radio today.

not sure which station..

that was amazing, what a fantastic documentary.

I'm still coming to grips with everything that was covered, i loved it.

awesome! I didnt know this was on, was walkin past the TV when i thought i heard a strangely familiar voice- Terrence talkin about ayahuasca! :D

Absolutely brilliant... one hour or so of video has done more to help my gf understand why I am so passionate about these plants than anything i could ever do in two years...

yeah mesq, it really opens peoples eyes. My family most likely wouldn't watch it, but i will sit my mum down and show it to her, it surely would help explain alot :)

Which begs the question- I've been after a specimen for well over a year, where can I get one? B. caapi.

am i just jaded? i thought it kinda lacked any depth..?

i watched it with my dad, who probably would've prefered to watch football..

same old boring rendered 3D models...though there was some nice art, as stills that had a slow wave effects

and the sound mix wasn't great..? the volume of music and sound effects sometimes obscured the speech .. some of those terrence grabs sounded really poor..like internet downloads

there was barely anything about medicinal effects except to say that it was a panacea, and there was no thorough explanation of caapi=ayahuasca vs vine+leaves=ayahuasca, perhaps that wasn't that important, but some of terrence's comments were in relation to smoked DMT, and i don't think that was really pointed out (i know he did mention inhalation)... also i don't think the shamanic paradigm was established or contextualised very well

*shrugs*

[ 29. March 2003, 00:22: Message edited by: coin ]

Totally enjoyed-but the slo-mo effects were annoying + not enough real-time footage of the physical effects after consumption!

More of Terrance would've been good-what a man!!

F@c%'n OIL COMPANIES-greed,greed,greed. :mad:

i thought the lines were a bit crossed between ayahuasca and smoked dmt.

i was trying to put myself in a position of a person that knew nothing or very little about all this.

i figued it would deffinetly give them the drive to look into things further,deeper if this kinda thing interested them.

and to someone who knows about all this,well its just nice to see something worthy on tv :)

deffinetly not a bad production,just maybe a little confusing.

anything thats makes aya look less like a drug is a good thing i think.

was it just me or did it make it sound like all acacias across our land are packed with dmt?

the visuals were....hmmm interesting and yeah,love the down loads:)

was a bit disturbed seeing mckenna sick :(

seeing what those oil companies do makes me feel sick in my guts.angry :mad:

[ 29. March 2003, 10:05: Message edited by: spiraleyes ]

I know what you are saying C0in and they are valid.. but still for someone who hasn't seen alot of documentaries specifically about ayahuasca it was a really good experience.. and something that the non-ethnobotany people can more easily relate to and understand.. which maybe thats why it didn't go into a lot of depth about the pharmacology of ayahuasca and I think he didn't touch too much on the "shamanic paradigm" is that (not wanting to try guess what Dean Jefferies had in mind) it has been established before and you can go to the store and buy alot of stuff about shamanism these days...

I dunno.. I think it was good... I wanna see more stuff like that...

coin:

am i just jaded?  i thought it kinda lacked any depth..?

Glad there's another sceptic in the room, I didn't want to seem like the sole voice of unreason and gloom again but I bloody loathed the docco

I understand docco making would be difficult with so much information to convey in so little time, but that doesn't mean a closer, more professional and less sensationalist focus on one or two aspects of the program would necessarily be out of reach or too obscure for general public viewing

Personally half of it reminded me of someone's holiday slide night " Oh look there's me and my kids in a boat on the Amazon..." some interesting questions on the impacts and cultural imperialism overtones of Ayahuasca tourism completely avoided, a shitload of stuff on the political situation stuffed badly into a small timeframe, and that's just for starters... Amateurish, condescending, disconnected and journalistically very poor was my overall impression

This is of course from what is laughingly referred to as my memory, from EB1 conference last year, apparrantly the TV version was very different and I hope better. But I didn't watch it again cos i got the shits the first time

i thought it was an excellent doco but did lack a little depth though i guess if you knew nothing of aya and dmt it might've dragged on a bit being more indepth(?)

i'm a bit pissed as i just found out that they interviewed Dean Jeffery's on JJJ yesterday and i missed it:(

Loved it, loved it and will watch it again, I rember two years ago i was standing on a verander in a fairly unfamilular enviroment (somthing i ate :) )when this guy with a large mostache strolls past takes one look at me and gives me a knowing grin. at that time i didnt have a clue who he was but it was one of those obscure moments that stick in your mind for some reason. i had forgoton it till last night. come on guys i think your being a little pedantic, it would take a long running speicial to cover all the facts but for me i thought he covered "hes" own jurney extreamly well. I have several friends that will be sat down tonight and made watch this docco.

forgot to add that yeah i thought it came across a bit that all acacias contained DMT. is it available on DVD or just video, spewing i don't have a video player of i would've taped it. would be a good way of explaining to people why we do what we do.

quote:

Originally posted by psycho0:

[QB spewing i don't have a video player of i would've taped it. would be a good way of explaining to people why we do what we do. [/QB]

I taped it ill see if i can get a copy for you

it wasn't the greatest doco but why does it matter? i was just impressed that they'd show something like that on tv. i thought it was well-rounded... even my mum watched it!

btw, did anyone catch that article in today's good weekend about DMT? looks like it'll start becoming more mainstream...

shroomy:

...when this guy with a large mostache strolls past..

That would have been CS, no?

come on guys i think your being a little pedantic

That's MISS pedantic bitch to you, love :P

To be fair a couple of the ppl I was there with loved it, the other ppl I know who've seen it have opinions similar to mine. horses for courses: I'm not surprised it was shown tho, a more thorough and detailed presentation would make many different positions on the topic look actually vaild, which the media prolly wouldn't allow. Far easier to spoon feed the population fairy floss than to encourage them to think...

btw, did anyone catch that article in today's good weekend about DMT?

Yeah, skim read it. Thought it much more balanced than the docco, even allowing for my personal preference for written information over televised. Also, for a mainstream media article it neither demonised it as the usual New Horror Drug story nor made it sound so attractive that ppl will be queueing to buy it at the pub tp scarf down with a dozen beers. Also liked the emphasis on Strassman's research and the subtextual advice that set and setting- with an emphasis on safety- are important for anyone considering an experience. Maybe they can make a docco of that article

DL, sorry to sound like an arsehole, but you seem to hold the article in such a good light, even though you just "skim read it"... what gives??

Nah gerbil you don't sound like an arsehole :)

By skim read I meant I read the entire length of the article, liked it and didn't find anything that made me immediately go eek in terms of structure, content or tone. Cos I'm really interested in the subject I'll have a serious re-read of it, and cos SMH sometimes presents points of view that piss me off mightily I'm surprised enough to want to look at it in depth and what I consider to be 'properly'

Having looked at bucketloads of research papers over the years I've learned to be suspicious of any information presented as fact. Some of those things are so dodgy, they really don't seem to more than completed forms with little regard for future accuracy via replication. Give me the nervous and sometimes tenuous rambling detail of a students lab notes over a published paper with serious omissions any day :)

Hi Darklight,

You couldn't possibly scan that SMH article in could you? I'd be interested in checking that out.

On the docco - I thought it was pretty good for what was obviously a low budget number. The 'slow-mo' tripping scenes I thought weren't too good - a lot of the criticism of entheogens (from the 'mainstream' of society) is that they space you out, make you a zombie etc. The handling of these scenes I think would have reinforced that (mistaken) assumption. Would have much preferred to see a clear exposition of the experience post-fact.

Or maybe I didn't like it because it resembled those idiotic video phone interviews in Iraq...

I didn't know it was on, turned on the telly and the titles came up. It was kind of synchronistic because last week I interviewed Rick Strassman on DMT, and this week I'm finishing one off with Daniel Pinchbeck on his shamanism book. I kept gettings strange looks as I rattled off facts before they were announced on screen....

:P

Belfy