The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
jasemateau

preserving cacti

now a couple of Q's

a gnome i have met a few times was wondering if any of these options are viable

how long can you keep a cacti beverage? will it last a few days in the fridge>?

do dried out cacti keep its active agents indefinatly?

what would be the best suggestion for storage for like say a few weeks, if thats a silly comment, how about a few days.

thanks in advance

Ahh you're obviously looking to get healthy and dry your aloe vera plants to have with juice in the mornings!

Good for you bowel health is very important.

I suppose like anything exposure to oxygen,light and heat would accelerate decomposition of the active ingredients.

hmm is aloe vera good for drinking? i got a shite load... maybe i should give it a go

i would sugest wacking the juice in the freezer tho in a airtight lunch box.

also regarding the powder i presume if u store in an airtight container out of sunlight and keep it cool sorta stuff

ok would this work.

if you put some high alcohol content liquer in the tea then froze it.

i was just wondering if the alcohol would suspend the alkoliods?

that way you could just take the frozen disc off scrap the remaining never freezing alcohol.

and drink the residue????

how that be?

alcohl mixes with things like water to a pretty low rate to make them not freeze in a standard freezer... vodka doesnt at all and its only what 40%?

Does the word "Anti-freeze" ring a bell

i was thinking of using a Austrian rum. its %80 alcohol.

whats so funny???????????

i know alcohol does not freeze, what' the go with anti freeze?

the only use for that is in your radiator.

have'nt you seen the simpsons episope where bart goes to france and discovers the wine makers were putting anti freeze in the wine.

its illeagal

if its on the simpsons it must be true

so WTF i missed it (Phanson) please explain?????

quote:

hmm is aloe vera good for drinking?

Yeah, go into any asian supermarket, you can buy it by the can. I've never tried it, it just seems like such a slimey drink to me. But you can definitely drink it!

i got a freaking huge plant... its damn good for burns... got to use it today

i also reckon it would make a pretty good lubricant

anyone tried this? i might give it ago in the not too distant future

:)

better than toad venom!

yeah smogs the whole lube thing. it will work in an orofice that produce liquid only if the Ph is right, otherwise it goes gluey and you dont want that :o . when i was 14 my and my girl played with all kind of kinky shit. in hospital twice but thats another thread.

but yeah, its a good lube if the girl is healthy at the time. oh abd do not freak out either, :confused: everything WILL go yellowish brown at the end of the deed.

happy hunting :P

good stuff that austrian 80% rum,

is it available in australia?

i guess dry cacti or pedro powder stores well in the freezer compartment, if kept dry.

the 80% rum would be good for all sort of tinctures...

[ 25. March 2005, 10:37: Message edited by: planthelper ]

the %80 rum i got from dan murphys on the gold coast.

it great for cooking with ask tosten how well it goes in chocolate!!!!

the rum is called STROH 500mls is $50.

if your put the dried cacti in the rum then froze it, would that draw the goodies out?

(kept in the freezer)

if it does could just end up having a rum and coke with a bonus, :D :D :D

my chemistry is poor.

just lookig for an alturnative for consumption of slime, without cooking with chemicals.

nothing to do with your aloe drinks but i read that buttons of peyote were unearthed after several hundred years and still contained mescaline

it seems if they are dry then alls good FAIAP forever

smogs

aparently the during the african slavery period in the states the white men used to use okra to lubricate the women slaves.

dont know if there is any colour change of the juices.

Thanks guys now I'm battling with the thought of columnar cacti and ky jelly :confused: :confused:

Sick fucks :D

lol

seriously tho aloe slime is awsome to play with!

i make bubble mix (its a work thing... i work with kids doing cool science crap) and i reckon it would be a good additive!

also i didnt know okra could be used for anything! its a crap food in my opinion and useless! crap texture crap taste...

Once rendered into slime or citrus acidified slime, it will keep up to several years if kept frozen solid. A person could in theory fill a deep freeze with single unit sized containers as they came to hand and keep them ready to thaw and use as needed. (Thaw overnight in a refrigerator)

If just refrigerated it will be useful for close to a week although loss of medicinal virtues will be seriously noticeable within 3 days.

Nonrefrigerated storage will require competent drying.

If the plant material is dried and taken to a powder that is kept sealed and in a dark place it can keep well for many years. Its not clear how many but its more than a decade. There is an upper limit for most things that have been looked at but its not well defined. For instance Spath found that Heffter's material had decreased substantially after around 30 years in storage.

If slime is taken to a resin, its activity depends much on who did the removal of liquid and how they did it. Careful handling and competent dehydration can leave something that is fine for some years.

Thanks Trout and it's a good to have you aboard :cool:

Since it's been discussed intensively here in the past, what's your take on the most efficient prep method for cacti?

you mention that potency of dry material depends on how it was dried, how do you dry it for maximum potency???? somone at the nook tried fermenting the cacti to break down all the sugars, i cant remember how it turned out but by what yor saying all the magic would be gone.