The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
fyzygy

Pot without paranoia

An aromatic compound found naturally in the cannabis plant may ease the acute anxiety commonly reported by people who show up at ERs for cannabis-induced intoxication, new research suggests. Cannabis strains rich in this citrusy compound, called d-limonene, could prove helpful to users who typically have anxious reactions to marijuana, reports Scientific American editor Allison Parshall. Such strains could allow these consumers to benefit more from the therapeutic effects that can ease anxiety and pain. 

The data: Twenty study participants inhaled combinations of different levels of vaporized THC and d-limonene or a water-vapor placebo. Participants then were asked to rank the effects and their mood. As d-limonene concentrations increased, participants reported fewer bouts of anxiety. 

What the experts say: Consumers should be cautious about making cannabis choices based on the new study. “Commercial interests may capitalize on this like they have with CBD [cannabidiol],” says Cyril D’Souza, a psychiatrist at Yale University, who is researching cannabis.

Posted (edited)

Interesting, D-Limonene is a natural solvent, smells good and easily available. I use to use it in the shed for cleaning surfaces just because it smelled good. Found in citrus fruit obviously. I should add essential oils like mandarin, orange are very high in D-Limonene.  Infact I think the grapefruit essential oil, iirc, is like 95% D-Limonene.

Heard of people using a few drops of grapefruit essential oil in vegetable capsules and quickly swallowing them (before the capsule starts to fall apart) to ease nausea when partaking in trip related activities. (The reason for the capsule use is that even a couple drops of the concentrate can cause mouth and throat irritation). 

Edited by Trip

D-limonene seems to be an ideal solvent, in many respects. I hadn't known it was present in cannabis plants. This reported study is pretty small. Grapefruit essential oil, mmm. 

I've played around a bit with terpenes/Citrus oils, even making a transdermal spray. I find they get more interesting as synergistic blends. 

Komiya and colleagues (2006) observed that lemon oil vapor inhalation causes an anti-stress effect by modulating serotonergic and dopaminergic in addition to GABAergic systems in mice. Limonene enhances neurotransmitter release and could inhibit HPA activity under physical stress, It may act via regulating dopamine levels and 5-HT receptor function, along with GABAA activity.

Citrus essential oils have been utilised widely in traditional medicine

"Improvements in neuroendocrine, neurotrophic, and monoaminergic systems are related to the antidepressant effects of limonene". It produces antidepressant-like effects that seems to be mediated by 5-HT and dopamine neurotransmission and is an agonist for adenosine A(2A) receptors.

Lemon essential oils showed strong ability to improve memory in animal models

It is suggested "metabolites of these monoterpene compounds contained in citrus essential oils have a stronger effect on monoamine release from brain tissue than the monoterpene compounds themselves"

image.thumb.png.0956e268fef4c8d621fba1de91d2bf8e.png

• Like 1

I recently tried a prescribed medical cannabis oil for a pain condition, basically a 25% THC and 25% CBD isolate. It tastes terrible, lacks any terpenes, and hardly has that lush cannabis scent.  It's just a pure isolate mixed with oil.

I have found it to be ineffective. I need to take a rather excessive dose to get any effect.

Now I have had access to DIY whole-bud resin extracted using ethanol. It is basically all the cannabanoids and all the terpenes reduced to a thick tar substance. It has a much richer aroma and taste, and it has proven to be far more effective at pain management. However it is illicit.

I would guess that its effectiveness is is either down to the other non-THC/CBD cannabinoids or the fact that the terpenes are included in the resin.

It is interesting that the illicit product works better than the refined pharmaceutical isolate.

After reading this, I am thinking of adding a drop of grapefruit oil or other oils to the medical cannabis to see if it modulates the effect. Pinene terpenes look interesting since they are linked to anti-inflammatory and pain-relieving effects. The question is: What is an easy source of pinene terpenes?

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, fyzygy said:

Turpentine, juniper, um ... pine trees? Cannabis sativa. Entourage effect discussed here https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0031942221002065 

You would not want to drink Turpentine.

Juniper and pine essential oil would be better - can get Oil Garden Pine Needle Pure Essential Oil 12ml at my chemist

Edited by Ishmael Fleishman

On 2/5/2024 at 4:57 PM, Ishmael Fleishman said:

I recently tried a prescribed medical cannabis oil for a pain condition, basically a 25% THC and 25% CBD isolate. It tastes terrible, lacks any terpenes, and hardly has that lush cannabis scent.  It's just a pure isolate mixed with oil.

I also have some feedback about prescription cannabis ( herb though, not oil). Funny story ( to me anyway)…I took the script to the chemist and as I am presenting the script to be filled I notice it said ‘farm gas dried flower’, so I ask the chemist what gas is used to dry the flower??! ( I’m thinking that sounds so unnatural, lol) , The chemist said he didn’t know and I would have to ask the company that dried it. Later I googled it and ‘farm gas’ is the strain, LMAO. I also read ‘heavy notes of kerosene and diesel’ which wasn’t  inviting and yeah,  the vapour tastes terrible, stunk out my room for days . Lol.

• Like 1

On 02/05/2024 at 4:58 PM, fyzygy said:

What is an easy source of pinene terpenes?

Theres Aus shops like this Home - My Terpenes Australia

For pinenes, I tend to use frankincence essential oil unless you can get the pure terpene - ~30-60% α-pinene. There seems to be different enantiomers in different oils which needs to be taken into account. Even between B. carterii and B. sacra there seems to be different pinene enantiomers.

α-pinene:  anti-inflammatory via PGE1, acetylcholinesterase inhibitor - aiding memory, positive modulator of GABAA receptors at BZD sites. α-pinene was observed to initiate soothing physiological and behavioural responses with a significant impact on physiological and psychological relaxation.

(1R)-(+)-α-pinene was more prevalent than (1S)-(−)-α-pinene in pine oils

(+)-α-Pinene was the predominant enantiomer in most rosemary, this is intriguing as (-)-α-pinene displays partial modulation of GABAA-BZD receptors and direct binding to the BZD binding site of GABAA receptor while the (+)- enantiomer is less characterised.

α-Pinene shows anti-metastatic and anti-tumor activities. Moreover, it seems to be anti-inflammatory, anti-oxidant and an anti-allergic bronchodilator and can produce anxiolytic and hypnotic effects via the GABAergic system (α-PN shows anxiolytic and hypnotic effects upon inhaled administration. α-PN evokes its hypnotic action through direct  binding  to  GABAA as a partial modulator at the benzodiazepine binding  site 

• Like 3

On 02/05/2024 at 6:50 PM, Ishmael Fleishman said:

You would not want to drink Turpentine.

• Like 1

On 02/05/2024 at 4:57 PM, Ishmael Fleishman said:

What is an easy source of pinene terpenes?

Could chewing mastic gum help? 

Screen Shot 2024-05-09 at 10.12.12 am.png

Posted (edited)

I know a guy in the US who made a concoction of home made cannabis oil, orange oil, lavender oil and 50% ethanol.

He sprayed it on his skin before bed and had had great sleeps. He also sometimes sprayed it on his skin in the morning if he was feeling anxiety/PTSD etc. Came on slow but worked wonders apparantly.

I'm now wondering if the orange oil had a lot to do with the anti- anxiety effects that he reported.

Man, that dude was an AWESOME guy :P

Edited by Halcyon Daze

I remember smoking a spliff with chamomile. Pleasant taste, no worries. 

very interessting subject, the little i might add, is oils help to extract cannabis, and there are quite a few plants which are said to reduce anxiety and maybe depression by just smelling them,

gardenia comes to mind.

grapefruit juice is said to potentiate cannabis.

i believe some strains are more likely, to cause psychosis than others (even potent strains).