The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Dozer

Stolen Cacti, Again....

I had a large (general) trich collection and came home from work just now and noticed my bins were out of proportion and then went to investigate and a fuck load of "desirable" plants were missing.

Now I have 2 Psyco0 cuttings left.

I have gone from 200 rooted cuts/seed grown plants to something like 11.... That's not including lophs

:scratchhead::BANGHEAD2:

holy shit dude, that's seriously f##ked.

Call the cops, someone may have seen something.

• Like 3

I think you need a big angry dog. that's no good at all mate :(. maybe get a sensor camera?

• Like 1

Where were they located? Could they be seen from the street or somewhere else?

I hate thieves.

this is the 3rd cacti robbery I've heard about this week. 2 in the US and this one.

Really upsetting.

It might be too soon to offer, but I'd happily send ya some US Trich seed if you want to get going again. No need to reply now, just keep this in mind for the future.

Best Wishes,

Hcc

• Like 1

i'd keep an eye on local trading/selling websites and FB, play it cool , play it lo-pro, then snaps on em!

• Like 3

It's sad to know how vulnerable even plant collections are to robbery. Although unfortunate, it's an unavoidable tendency shared by anything that holds value.

Seems like a hassle, but it's quite necessary to have a guard dog, cameras, and depending on the laws in your country, a gun (although be mindful of the law).

I can't help but to wonder the thieve's relation to you; was it a friend, an eBay customer, a fellow forum member whom you've traded with? Unfortunately, you'll probably never know.

It's a very good idea to use an address apart from your garden when shipping or having cacti shipped to you. That or a PO box.

Edited by Derkshaman
  • Like 2

Very true derkshaman...

Altho one must be careful in qld as even if someone is trespassing on your property to steal your things...if your dog bites the theif youre potentially liable...

Oh how i love the nanny state :)

halcyon is right, call the cops man, finger printing, the whole deal. im guessing you wont be a high priority to them so it may take some time for them to get a finger printing team out to you, thats been my experience anyway, not with cacti theft but other things. keep the site as clean as possible. something tells me tthese cacti thefts are all done by the same bunch of CUNTS, would be great to actually bust them.

• Like 2

Very true derkshaman...

Altho one must be careful in qld as even if someone is trespassing on your property to steal your things...if your dog bites the theif youre potentially liable...

Oh how i love the nanny state :)

Good lord- in all seriousness? In my state, you'd probably make it off fine for shooting a trespasser dead, assuming you have a decent lawyer and 'feared for your life' :wink: .

Not to derail this thread too much!

But like others, I am hit hard by the thought of somebody hacking down and stealing one's garden. Sure fires up the emotions, alright.

I really hope that you can get to the bottom of this, wishful thinking, but the culprits deserve... something... the grimmer the better.

Edited by Derkshaman

Yes i am sadly... in brisbane if your dog so much as rushes at the fence line and takes someone by suprise (even if their dog is barking its tits off too) your dog may end up declared dangerous for being menacing (even if the dog is just excited and stimulated)...tis a crock of shit...

I would also be devastated :( sorry for your loss dozer.. i padlock my gates to the backyard.. there are some very untrustworthy people in this world sadly...

Quite the fuck around but what about drilling holes into the bottom of pots, putting those dog tie out things screwed in through the base of the pot into the ground... fill her up with dirt and plant and see someone try and steal those.... it would of course be a pain if you ever wanted to rearrange and still technically possible to steal...but i think if it takes a little longer people will give up, usually thefts are a quick run and grab...

Just a thought :)

• Like 1

Maybe it's time we all start researching micro trackers and putting them to the test.

This is very sad.

The culprit(s) will make very good fertiliser for your new collection.

• Like 5

I was going to suggest branding cacti, but they could be cut off/out - so rfids it is then!

Keep an eye on ebay/gumtree too - see if any of your stuff pops up.

• Like 1

Mother fuckers!

I can throw a few ss hybrid seedling your way if you would like. There not very big at the moment but will make it through the post and in a few footy seasons they will be sexy to boot :-)

• Like 2

Hey Dozer, very sorry to hear! This is disgusting and I miss the times when thieves had their thumbs hacked off.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone, Halcyon was only telling me the other day to beware of who you allow into the garden (I actually hadn't let anyone, no one here cares for them lol) so I am dumb founded as to whom it would have been.

It could have been the car or something else I suppose, so could have been worse..

I have two dogs, one Bull Arab puppy (so not much help 'til he is bigger, he is a damn sook) and a three legged Border Collie (best friend ever) she would have prolly only barked not attack. I kinda sook up my pets :lol:

I'm just glad it wasn't worse then it could be, now I will just build a nice permanent fuck off army grade green house and lock it up good and proper.

Sad thing with dogs I think almost anywhere is that if they attack, they are deemed dangerous and will have to be destroyed.. I can't even pull out my bobby knocker and clock someone if they break into my house :rolleyes:

Makes ya think, hey.

green house is a silver lining :) I really want one but it wouldn't be permanent so idk if its even worth doing. trouble with trichs is they sell fast and thieves love that.

The question is how do they know you have a collection? If its not visible from the street, how did they know whats in your backyard? If you have not invited anyone into your backyard, then this makes me think someones peeked over the fence. Not saying it is your neighbours, but it could be an acquaintance of you neighbours who has seen into your backyard.

I'd recommend getting really friendly with your neighbours, and get to know them better. If they are oldies or not your kind of people, just make the effort and give them some homegrown vegies or something. Passive surveillance by neighbours who actually give a fuck could be a massive help in situations like this.

Also you could padlock the sidegates and stick large amounts of cylindropuntia tunicata along the boundary. You cant mess with those spines, even attempting to move them is a world of pain.

• Like 1