The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Darklight

Parkinson's and alternative therapies

Someone I am close to has been diagnosed with Parkinson's Disease. The medication they're taking can only slow the progress of this dreadful disease, not stop or ameliorate its symptoms. Does anyone here have any experience with alternative or complementary therapies for this, whether independent or concurrent with standard Western pharmaceutical treatment?

Try an Eccy!!(not you , the patient )

Serious,saw a doco years ago with some dude with Parkinsons......AMAZING!to see someone shaking involuntarily to a relaxed EXstatic state(anyone got a copy?)

This patient went from convulsions to picking up a glass of water and taking a mouthful-without spilling a drop,made me cry :(

MJ has great anti-spasmodic properties too!!

See it first hand every day. :P

I have seen some varieties of broad beans suggested as an alternative to L-Dopa therapy. Seems a bit dodgy dosewise but there might be a possibility that the L-Dopa conjugates would be better. I would prefer to see them standardised though.

Wish them luck from me, I hope it is a slow variety. My father died from a nervous degenerative disease last year (motor neurone disease), no idea what causes it yet. Nothing to do but watch him fade.

I've got nothing to suggest for treatment other than what mescalito already said... maybe try half or a quarter of an e first and see if it has any good effects....?

But I had another idea:

Torsten wrote the other day (i think it was torsten) that Parkinson's d. comes from chronically low dopamine...

So as a Prevention (not treatment) would it be good to have your daily 2 tyrosine tablets to keep the dopa up? Just an idea...?

(I'm doing that anyway... if you can't find any tyrosine at the chemist, "golden glow" still have it)

madopar, but even 20 or more jonks ago they gave my dad "frischzellen kur". those fresh cell injektions worked wonders,... for a while.

more stem cell research needed.

mucuna is the main bean said to contain l-dopa,has many uses in indian medicine,maybe check these out,and its something you may be able to grow yourself.

i bet they would use brug in south america,they seem to use it for most problems to do with the brain/mind.

t s t .

Considering the range of other suspicious alkaloids of unknown pharmacology in Mucuna I couldn't recommend that someone who already has neural damage should take it.

Have any Parkinson's patients tried amphetamines, it would seem logical that it is the dopaminergic effect of ecstacy that helped the bloke in the documentary rather than the serotonergic effects, though you never know with brains. Weird things, brains.

Parkinsons is caused by atrophy in the substantia negra part of the brainstem, a dopaminergic sector. Broad bean flowers have been tested as containing 10% l-dopa (dr.dukes site used to list this).

Deprenyl is a great treatment for this, you can order 3 month treatments from o/seas at www.anti-ageingsystems.com (something like that)w/o a prescription.

Tyrosine and aLL of these treatments only bump up the levels of presynaptic dopa, they don't address the issue of neuronal cell-death. From

memory, cell death is at the post-synapse. Attempts to increase the proliferation of post synaptic terminals at this juncture could theoretically be achieved through dopamine selective reuptake accelerators.

Dopamine agonists such as phenethylamines and "e" would only provide short-term relief from the problem and could exacerbate post-synaptic down-regulation.

MDMA short term. apart from th pleasurable effect that we all get from it. the doco i say had a parkinsons patient doing sumersaults (spelling) on a trampoline after taking it.

Better short-term relief than none...

and if it may otherwise hasten death, better for the patient...

I watched my father when he had Parkinson's...

my mother had to change his nappies and wash him and always complained about it...

once I said: "If I had this, I'd rather make a quick exit..."

one week later he died....

I believe alcohol and sugar substitues caused his disease....

Does anyone know the name of this docco, or where I can get a copy?

Dammit, UTFSE Darklight, you idjut.... I swear I lose fifteen IQ points when i get flustered... nah still can't find it...

there's a copy in the wandjina library. can't remember the name of it though. It gets repeated on cable every now and then.