The Corroboree
bullit

brugmansia problems

I really don't know why we are asking experts here.

If those picture were of a cabbage then i would be disturbed. Those plants look 80% healthy to me

well, if there is a reasonable suspicion of this being viral damage then it should be investigated because it obviously has the potential to cause problems. The problem is there is no reasonable suspicion. We just have bullits statement which refers to unnamed experts who may or may not have made various statemnts to him. Given the many language problems in this discussion, I'd like to see the actual response from the experts. Who knows, maybe they just said 'could be viral damage' rather than confirming it.

There is just nothing in this thread that actually supports his claim in any way. NOTHING. In fact, the fact that he thinks those images were proof of a virus indicates to me that there is no virus [because those images certainly weren't showing viral damage].

So yeah, I am now treating this as an unsubstantiated personal attack. I don't care if bullit doesn't grasp the consequences of his actions - that does not diminish those actions or their consequences.

Edited by Torsten
spelling
  • Like 2

Hopefully, all is well now.....I am sorry to hear of everyone's travails here.

Definitely good to be carefull before assigning blame....even if intentions are good.

Wasn't a mosaic virus, partially responsible for one of the first historic 'bubbles'?

....Tulip mania, it was called....

"The tulip was itself a conspirator in the supply-squeeze that fueled the speculation, in that it is grown from a bulb that cannot be produced quickly. Normally it takes 7-12 years to grow a flowering bulb from seed; bulbs can produce both seeds and two or three bud clones, or offsets, annually, but the "mother bulb" lasts only a few years. Properly cultivated, the "daughter offsets" will become flowering bulbs after one to three years. Before the demand for the "broken" tulips, virus-free bulbs producing ordinary single-color varieties were sold by the pound. Once affected by the virus, the "broken" exotics were an extremely limited commodity because the sought-after "breaking pattern" can only be reproduced through offsets, not seeds, as only the bulb is affected by the mosaic virus. Unfortunately, the virus that produced the sought-after effects also acted adversely on the bulb, weakening it and retarding propagation of offsets, so cultivating the most appealing varieties now took even longer. Taking this into account, quite probably from the time the speculation started until its collapse, the number of rare bulbs that changed hands so feverishly never increased beyond the original number."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tulip_mania

Edited by shonman

right on Shonman - these virus tulips are weird & popular b/c of it.

I don't think that the issue here has much to do with any virus/nutritional deficiency in a plant...

Hope all is well this morning. I have trouble with most I my niteshades if I use town water on them, they growing tips just wither & die, so I collect rain water for 'em. Just saying.

i have asked to get the title changed to stop the shit.. this is not a personally attack on u t. ITS NOT , NOT @ ALL .. its about a plant i got back in sep 2012 that was sic... i dont have any proof [pics] no more so i fuked up by deleting them a long time ago... yes my fuk up!!! the pic i posted was from a plant that i own now .. [ dec 13] sorry.

thats it..

Edited by bullit

Hey bullit to change the title you just need to click the edit button on the very first post in the thread, then the option to change the title will come up in the editing page.

• Like 3

Hey bullit, do what Ceres said :)

also I have a niiiice cutting for you mate, one you ain't never seen before.

I wonder if you can store pollen in the fridge and do some crosses with it down the track.

Another ex senior horticulturist at sydney botanic gardens, horticulturist at Kew Botanic Gardens [uK] and garden show presenter on National TV has provided advice:

"Looks like a temporary distortion more than a disease. Although it may be a nutritional problem, I wonder has there been any use of hormonal herbicides? May be 50 - 100m away, but looks to me rather like the distortion caused by volatile compounds like dicamba, mecoprop or MCPA-based herbicides. "

An interesting new perspective none of us have thought of. I checked your address on google and it seems you have several orchards near your property. I can't make out what sort of trees, but many orchards use herbicides. I found brugs to be incredibly sensitive to some herbicides. I killed one by dumping a few dead weeds around the base as mulch which were killed a few weeks earlier by 'woody'. The woody leached from the decomposing material into the root system and killed the brug.

i have no evidience of my claims. i was very angry/frustrated with my brugs slowly dieing so i posted this without thinking of the damaged i would make [ very stupid ] to u and your store torsten. it wasnt a person attack on u..

so i am sorry ..

• Like 12

^ I kinda teared up a little reading that.

apologising can be a difficult thing to do but is well worth it imho.

time to move on.

:wub:

• Like 1