The Corroboree
El Presidente Hillbillios

Advice about a camper build, especially from any plumbers

Hey guys,

Well, due to me and the missus getting old (a bit) and the price of fuel. I have decided to retire my old troopcarrier and buy a van to build into a camper. Im not planning on building something that's mega luxury, but it will need to be pretty self sufficient for at least a week at a time and have the basics.

I will build pretty much everything myself and have thought a lot about most things needed, Ie solar panel capacity, batteries 12 fridge etc.

I plan to fabricate an aluminium water tank to fit under the floor and have this plumbed to a 12v 60psi automatic pressure pump, originally i was thinking of having just cold water due to the cost of hot water system, extra pump and stuff. But it would be really nice to have a warm shower. So that got me to thinking that i could build a pressurised hot water tank that is fed cold water similar to a house system (to use just one pump). I could heat this by building a simple heat exchanger from copper pipe that would be inside the tank. This heat exchanger would be fed hot water from the cooling system of the engine via the heater hose side of things.

Here is an artist impression of what im thinking about building,

Vanhotwater_zpsef971ebc.jpg

I Have no real issues in fabricating a pressure tank to do the job, but will it work?

• Like 2

also if there are any solar gurus around. Im planning on two 6v -260ah deep cycle batteries batteries, charged via a 60 amp solar controller with thee 80 watt panels. The reason for the big controller is is maybe if needed later on i can add another panel. The fridge is 72 watts at 12v. am i right in thinking this system should maintain charge in most of australia withought any loss of battery?

A new, proper, build in my van has been in my mind for a while now! Maybe we can swap some ideas up the track HB!

mate, we get packing boxes at work that are just sheets of 12mm and 19mm waterproof ply. When we get a shipment the boss is keen for me to bring home as much as i want. So that means fee wood for vans.

• Like 1

yo billioz ya better pimpin ya troopie ! @ least you can go off track ??? just rip out the back seats and go from there??

fuk it the petrol is bad but aye you can drive a lil faster and anywhere with a cruizer!!

The troopie does have a bed in the back, but its old as now and it would be nicer to have a propper camper rather than just a bed. We bought it in 96 and its an 85 petrol model even though its pretty damn good on fuel for what it is, its really expensive to run compared to a modern diesel van

cool!!! just sounds good to have a camper 4wd or even a small trailer camper towed ??

Edited by bullit

Yeah if the budget will stretch that far, it will be a Mercedes sprinter 4x4.

But i think it will more likely be 2wd Vw crafter or mercedes sprinter

• Like 1

I know I'm stating the obvious here but, if all you want is a hot shower then you you could save all the hassle and heat a big pot on a fire and use a cup. Alternatively you could just attach a tap, hose and shower head to the pot. Once you've heated the water, pop it up on top of the van and let the good times roll.

I love vans, I just bought my 4th van, she's a beauty, tinted windows, sunroofs front to back, and 'ELECTRIC' windows :)

Just took out all the back seats and can't w8 to take her shagging in the rainforest somewhere. -That way we can go bird watching and shagging at the same time.

Only in a VAN man.

here she is... :)

img2809200941820rico_20home_20004_detail

:P :P :P

Uncle-Rico.jpg

Edited by Halcyon Daze
  • Like 1

I'd be doing a bit of maths before I went ahead and fabricated a heater like that.

60 psi doesn't sound like much but when it's acting over a surface are of any substantial size it will generate a great deal of force and possibly rupture.

A quick guide

force = pressure * area

So if you fabricate a tank with the largest side at say 1 foot square

then

force = 60 psi * 12 inches * 12 inches

force = 60 psi * 144 sq inches

force = 8640 pounds acting on that square foot of metal.

That's equivalent to two or three cars worth of force acting on that 1 square foot of tank, very dangerous for a homemade tank full of hot water.

My suggestion would be to use a much lower pressure for the hot water and/or use a pre-fabricated or seamless tube with a known bursting pressure and of a fairly small diameter for the hot water tank. Also make sure it's fitted with an appropriate pressure relief valve.

I know I sound overly cautious, but I knew a bloke who killed himself seating the bead of a tire into the rim by over inflating it, the compressor was only capable of delivering 70 psi.

I can't see why you'd need a 60 psi hot water system anyway, a 10-15 psi system would be plenty if the pump can deliver the volume needed for the task, think of volume rather than pressure. Pumps are rated in litres per minute/hour of cubic feet per minute/hour so look into how much flow you need and investigate the delivery head of the pump - which will tell you how high the pump can push water vertically. It's no good to have the flow you need if it will only pump it waist high.

If you will have gas fitted to the van then a gas fueled tankless hot water system might be another option.

Edited by SallyD

I did think 60psi sounded a bit crazy, but it seems most 12v water pumps are that or 115psi. Unless i fugure out some kind of pressure regulater i think thats the lovest it would work at.

I dont really have any dramas with the fabrication of a pressure tank, its the kind think i do all the time at work. I would probably just make it from seamless tube and have ends spun for it..

A gas tankless hot water would be nicer i think, maybe i should shell out for one and stop being so tight

If they're the only pumps you can find then maybe if the original idea was reversed then that would be a safer option.

The water from the radiator could fill and flow through the tank and then the 60 psi could be run through the tank via a copper coil etc.

That way you wouldn't be dealing with a highly pressurised tank, the tank would be running running at radiator pressure which is ballpark 12-15 psi (depending on your cooling system design & radiator cap) and about 110-125 deg celcius - give or take depending on how well insulated it is.

The inlet would be best located below the level of the outlet ( which would be best on the top of the unit) so it self bleeds the air out of the tank as it fills and runs for the first time.

It would also need a heater tap (preferably on the inlet so it can be isolated in the event of any problems or if it makes the engine run too cool at start up.

The idea has merit, just 60 psi of hot water is a scary thought. It would be probably be more efficient that way too.

• Like 1

I did think 60psi sounded a bit crazy, but it seems most 12v water pumps are that or 115psi. Unless i fugure out some kind of pressure regulater i think thats the lovest it would work at.

I dont really have any dramas with the fabrication of a pressure tank, its the kind think i do all the time at work. I would probably just make it from seamless tube and have ends spun for it..

A gas tankless hot water would be nicer i think, maybe i should shell out for one and stop being so tight

;)

quite like mine

• Like 1

the more i think about it though, the more i think runnin hot water is luxury that's not really needed. Maybe im thinking too much about this whole project

the future of a stereotype rests on this decision HB

i scored it for something like 250 but normally i see them between three and four hundred.

everyone is different but for me the ability to shower rates pretty high if i plan to go ranging around the country

The idea has merit, just 60 psi of hot water is a scary thought. It would be probably be more efficient that way too.

I just thought, even though i dont think im going to build hot running water into the van now.

it would only take a second pump put after the tank rather than before, to take all the pressure off the tank. well except for expansion of hot water..

Also look at the Ford Transit Van. There's a 4wd one that's been for sale forever on carsales.com.au

I love the idea of offroad camper vans and variants, although they are not very practical. I used an ordinary 4wd with a good 3man tent, inflatable double bed with electronic inflator and lot's of custom boxes I can easily load up and unload. I always liked the idea of having an expedition vehicle but its just a pipe dream.

I've seen some Westfalia and Trakka VW 4wd syncro's go for around $10k in australia before. They don't chew juice but might chew up your wallet on repairs. The Troopy's are a good platform but they are too long and thin. Some great wide Vans from the US but they tend to carry massive V8's. A 70's shagpile california van would be cool...but with 4wd.

I always liked the idea of a 4wd Sandman. Here's some rough PS daydreaming ideas Ive played around with:

SINBIN1.jpg

sinbin41.jpg

sinbin2canopy.jpg

blacksand.jpg

blacksandpoptop.jpg

patrolman3-1.jpg

patrolman4.jpg

rambo.jpg

rambo.jpg

RAMBO3.jpg

sinbin3-1.jpg

Lamborghini-LM003-Concept.jpg

van.jpg

Some other cool campers:

PinzI712Kcool2.jpg

phx2.jpg

EarthRoamer_XV-JP_Interior.jpg

DSC_3847.jpg

3487147716_dce6be90d8.jpg

HZJ-reisefertig.jpg

HDJ-100-im-einsatz.jpg

Edited by botanika
  • Like 1

hahah awesome, there area few Mercedes sprinters that are 4x4 and a few of them around reasonably priced ex ambulances. But im not so keen on having a van im sure a few souls have passed over inside of