The Corroboree
El Presidente Hillbillios

Giant pumpkin contest!!

^^ was wondering how you'd get on with all that sky water. The pumpkin looks to be laughing in the face of said weather.

• Like 1

The pumpking is going in the ground this weekend... it's been sitting in it's pot, meditating until now, waiting for the right time to go in (or more likely for me to get around to planting it). I've noticed though that it may be sprouting flowers already, even before the vine has started to grow. I wonder if this is a problem? Should I whip the flower buds off when I transplant?

I'm glad I didn't bung it in the ground before this though - the weather has been abysmal...

• Like 2

I find the more Canna boost i give it he more male flowers i have around 15 fully formed males and

only a couple of under developed females are coming through . Also are pumpkins photo period

sensitive as i have a outside light that shines on to my green house .

not sure if they are photoperiod sensitive. I think its pretty standard to have 10:1 sort of ratio of sex of flowers initially you get a massive cluster of males and one or two females on main leader and bigger secondaries. Then as they get bigger they seems to slow up on the males and then have a few more females forming on end of secondary leaders.

• Like 3

Rightyo - I'm in the game, the pumpkin(s) are in the ground, a little bit later than I'd imagined, but hey, better late than never i guess. My sister has just built a 1.5m x 1.5 m floating pontoon, so if I manage to get a vine to reach out to the dam we're good to go for the 'giant pumpkin on the dam' experiment :)

• Like 5

so....I am gathering that Stillman is currently holding the SAB record then...lol

My vines have leapt off the prepared bed today....hoooray

• Like 3

Had a heap of rain yesterday arvo. Sprayed the pumpkin for powdery mildew this morning. Its looking good seems to really pack on the weight when the whole vine gets a drink.

• Like 1

next year stillman next year

Red have you thought about putting one in for the ekka competition? Need to plant out late December for a May 10th weigh in?

• Like 1

*lol...can imagine Stillman ....stroking his face thinkin of ekka blue ribbons

came home ,and starting digging the vines under :wink: Was already starting roots... nearly time to start pumping it hard...lol

here is my contender now....Within the fortnight will be the serious boom growth I reckon

DSCF9035_zpsde494c43.jpg

• Like 6

looking good man. Not long now before that one goes bang.

• Like 1

They have to be in the ground as even using a 60 liter container i dont think it will have the potential to grow as fast as i wanted

and the ground it is on is in my green house so its basically granite . So will put one in for the show will do a proper plot this time

but still in the game i have a clone i took and put it in the front garden ( is that aloud ) and still have one in the green house but

she is getting hit bad by mildew

cool so what seed are you going to use for the Ekka pumpkin?

Red have you thought about putting one in for the ekka competition? Need to plant out late December for a May 10th weigh in?

Are these dates right Stillman for the August show?

we will be using your seeds or clones :)

Anywho's yall vines are looking great, Stillman you're a freak :P

I will get a pic of mine up in the next few days, wind keeps attacking it and splitting the vine on the runner where I have pollinated a flower, will definitely be using wind breaks on next grow

• Like 1

Atlantic giant i think will be my choice for the show but there is a lot of competition there . This is my first time

growing pumpkin for size and i did not pt enough thought into it . But should be ready to kick some ass this ekka

ps i thought the ekka was in August

Now that, good sirs and ladies, is a pumpKing and his brood.

Edited by gilligan
  • Like 5

put a grin on my face Stillman :) Its amazing how much joy can come from a single pumpkin.

• Like 4

How do you plan on weighing it maybe make a tripod over it and use a block and tackle to lift it. But nice work dude

how much bigger do you think it will get

probably another 50+kg or so I hope. I'd say its close to 130kg now. I'd be really happy with a 200kg pumpkin this time round. I mean it might go bigger? I really don't know. Its starting to get powdery mildew and some of the leaves are looking haggard.. I don't know how much is left in it?

So how do you get it to ripen?

or is it pretty much ripe?

Edited by jwerta

I'd say it's got bit to go yet Jwerta, it hasn't even developed its pigment yet.

I've seen things weighed on worksites with a balance scale made out of timber or RHS etc and a 44 gallon drum counterweight which is graduated beforehand and then filled with water until equalibrium is established.

If it is balanced and graduated (on the inside of the drum) before you start it can be surprisingly accurate.

• Like 2