Sign in to follow this  
Jox

Copiapoa hypogea.

My C. hypogea rotted this winter. :(

That sucks mate I could probly send ya one or two if ya like

• Like 1

My C. hypogea rotted this winter.

how could that happen?

I have 3-4 of them, in varying size pots....they flower so frequently I dont think i've ever bothered to take a pic, well maybe one.

they are very hardy plants but probably bad soil mix or maybe over watering copiapoa do not need barely any water

coming from the Atacama desert where it almost never rains its said they take in most of their water through condensation on their skin

so most likely over watering i personally dont give any of mine hardly any water

and theyre another species i grow in a soil mix which contains almost no organic matter and they seem to thrive in it

Well I had it sitting next to my mini seedling greenhouse and I think that the humidity was leaking out next to it and raising the humidity around it. one of the pups rotted. I took it off and it was too late. it spreaded to the mother plant. It wasn't rust or black rot either, it just kind of like turned into a smooshy mess that didn't look bad. I did water it a couple times too, maybe that was why. I noticed it growing a lot and i decided to water it every couple weeks. I guess now I know not to water them much.

Edited by hostilis

Finally got around to taking some snaps today. Here's a lovely cope :D
post-1178-0-07147100-1397112083_thumb.jp

post-1178-0-07147100-1397112083_thumb.jpg

post-1178-0-07147100-1397112083_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

That cope is super dope prier

• Like 1

G'day jox, regarding whether this species is self fertile. All I know is my one C.hypogea has flowered many times but am yet to see fruit. Last time(no pics of flowers unfortunately) I gave the flower a little tickle with paint brush and the next day the flower aborted, dropped off. I have tried to research this myself to no avail. My thoughts are that it isn't but I am in no way an expert on such matters.

post-14388-0-28971400-1397812535_thumb.j

post-14388-0-28971400-1397812535_thumb.jpg

post-14388-0-28971400-1397812535_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

yesterday I finally planted this out little project I been workin on decided to fill it with C. hypogea

pretty happy with it for a first try :)

DSC_6249_zps26a10aca.jpg

DSC_6252_zpsa8059331.jpg

• Like 9

That looks awesome myco :worship: ,

Can you explain your project a little? It looks like half a boulder with holes drilled out for the cacti, is there drainage for the cactus? I would love to set something up like that when things get settled :wink:.

Cheers

Jox

cheers jox :)

i'd be happy to explain it is whats called hypertufa

its made from a mix of peat perlite and portland cement and some concrete colour added

theres some good videos on youtube to give you an idea of how it works they usually make pots out of it

using old plastic pots and boxes and all sorts as moulds

for this i just laid down a garbage bag on the bench in my hothouse and just started piling it up

so i basically just made a pile and scooped out handfulls and shaped the holes for planting

then you can just push a finger through the bottom of your planter holes to add drainage holes

i made sure the drainage holes were nice and big and then covered them with some mesh for bonsai pots before i planted em out

with the perlite in the mix you can kinda just pat on it gently and it gives it a nice rough kinda rocky natural look :)

its actually quite enjoyable to do i've been experimenting with it lately and have made a few pots and flat slabs for bonsai plantings and things i'll put some more pics up later of the other stuff i've made so far the possibilities are endless really

i'd like to try and make up some similar natural looking ones that are just single planters to

I'm hoping to get my nursery business sorted out eventually and was looking at it as a possible product to sell

as i would like to be able to provide everything from pots and tools to fertilizers and plants

• Like 6

took some pics of some of the other stuff I've made so far nothing special still practicing

the holes in the pots could have been a little bigger with the pots i also took a wire brush to the outside of the pots after 24 hrs

gives them a nice rough kinda aged look :)

(also note the colours are not very well representative of the actual colours alot of the pics were very over exposed

i was trying to be quick in between the rain)

the yellow is more like the colour of the square pot you can see in the second pic

and the brown is much like the pot in pic 4 a touch darker though

it also depends on how much of the colour you add to the mix as to what different shades you get

a couple of flat low bonsai planters and a nice big square pot probably use this one for bonsai to

i used one of those foam boxes that shops get their fruit an veg in for the big square one

DSC_6253_zps21eda029.jpg

DSC_6254_zps317f9bb4.jpg

DSC_6255_zpsfcb08e65.jpg

i used some old plastic pots as a moulds for these 2

DSC_6260_zps8ef2658e.jpg

DSC_6263_zps22172065.jpg

a not so great attempt at a single planter haha looks like a little volcano

DSC_6265_zps664d13bd.jpg

and this little triple planter was my girlfriends attempt :)

DSC_6267_zps0a29df53.jpg

DSC_6268_zps120cbda5.jpg

Edited by myco
  • Like 5

I actually really like that little volcano planter,I think that effect would go great with cacti,in the first photos what is the reddish stuff your using as mulch looks a bit like scoria but I can't quite make it out?

cheers nut

yeh its scoria :)

So I noticed that the rat living on my roof is taking big chunks of my Copiapa, more than any other cactus on my roof

Don't they have any bitter alkaloids to deter rats and such creatures?

This rat bit my lophophoras once but never tried it again, did the same to most of my trichos but never again.

So does this mean it's not bitter like most other cacti?

post-6382-0-00363600-1401860117_thumb.jp

post-6382-0-38669800-1401860327_thumb.jp

post-6382-0-00363600-1401860117_thumb.jpg

post-6382-0-38669800-1401860327_thumb.jpg

post-6382-0-00363600-1401860117_thumb.jpg

post-6382-0-38669800-1401860327_thumb.jpg

Philo, it's imperative you feed the rats food they would much prefer to eat over your cacti......

post-3765-0-71437800-1401861051_thumb.jp

post-3765-0-71437800-1401861051_thumb.jpg

post-3765-0-71437800-1401861051_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Hahaha I can't get to kill it or even trap it.....every time I decide to, I start thinking what if it has babies to feed and other thoughts of that sort

Most of my other cacti deter it with either spines or bitter taste but not this Copiapa, I'll just put a cage over it so this rat can't access it ;)

• Like 1

Zelly - I think I wrongly accused the rat of eating this specimen

After I posted this pic I noticed a worm munching on the lower right pup.

It seems like these worms prefer certain individuals over others.

They munch on bridgesii and crosses that were made of bridgesii, Exocet for eileen and lumberjack. They seem to prefer this Copiapoa the most.

All my peruvianus, cuszcoensis, pachanoi, lophophoras and ariocarpus were not touched, except for a small mark a long time ago on a grafted lophophora.

post-6382-0-75590800-1404395653_thumb.jp

post-6382-0-75590800-1404395653_thumb.jpg

post-6382-0-75590800-1404395653_thumb.jpg

Edited by Philocacti

i had never had trouble with rats until i had a little native bush rat of some sort hanging around

i dunno what it was but it was definitely a marsupial of some kind not a rat

little bugger took a chunk out of one of my copiopoa hypogea

ate a nice hole into the centre of a small asterias killing it

took another chunk out of a large grafted superkabuto thankfully it wasnt to bad

i think there was another 3 plants he got to little bastard

knowing it wasnt actually a rat was the worst part i didnt want to kill it haha

i managed to get a trap from one of the local DEC guys (department of environment and conservation)

managed to catch him in it and went and released him in the bush he was cute lil guy haha :)

• Like 1

Cute little cactus eating bastard. Hehe.

• Like 1