The Corroboree
Alice

"Model student dies of LSD overdose"

http://www.news.com.au/national/teenager-nick-mitchells-lsd-overdose-death-delusions-and-despair/story-fndo4bst-1226530792737

Nick, 15, died after he and a mate experimented with a substance police believe to be LSD.

The drug caused respiratory problems and heart complications for Nick, who could not be revived after his 11-year-old brother found him unconscious in his bedroom.

It had a different effect on his friend, also 15, who, in a psychotic state, ran naked into traffic on a busy road and was hit by a car, leaving him with serious injuries. He is in hospital.

"LSD, if that's what it was, is an insidious drug. It's got a smiley face on it and looks harmless, but it kills," Supt Bingham said.
Detectives fear there could be a toxic batch of the drug circulating, after numerous other incidents were reported where people had suffered serious side effects. Police are awaiting toxicology results, but said evidence found in the boy's bedroom suggested it was likely LSD had been consumed.

What a load of shit

How can they say these things its just ridiculous

• Like 1

Ugh

How can they say these things its just ridiculous

source: The Daily Telegraph

enough said.

• Like 2

'evidence found in the boy's bedroom suggested it was likely LSD had been consumed.'

What's evidence of acid consumption?!! tie dyed tshirts and grateful dead albums. i don't get it. little bits of printed paper?

• Like 5

"Teen's LSD overdose death unlikely, expert says

A drug and alcohol expert from the University of NSW has said it is unlikely that the death of a Central Coast teenager was caused by an LSD overdose.

Nick Mitchell, 15 suffered heart and respiratory problems after taking the drug with a friend, also 15, on Saturday.

But National Drug and Alcohol Research Centre director Paul Dillon said it is more likely that the teen died from an incident relating to taking the hallucinogen.

Mr Dillon said there has been no documentation of a human death from an LSD overdose.

"It is unlikely that the teen died from an LSD overdose as the drug does not cause respiratory failure or cardiac arrest but it does alter the perception of the user," he said.

"The symptoms of taking the drug cause the person to go into a psychosis and hallucinate which may result in them walking in front of a car or getting into some type of an accident."

Nick Mitchell appears in video filmed November 2011.

Mr Dillon said until the results of the toxicology are released, he will not speculate the cause of the teenager's death.

"Until we receive all the information, the best possible message we can get across is to provide the right information to the public," he said.

"There is an increase in usage of the drug especially among young people and the message is to warn them about the effects."

According to the police, Nick was found unconscious on his bedroom floor by his 11-year-old brother at their home in Tascott on Saturday.

The drug caused his friend to become psychotic and run naked into traffic.

He is in hospital with serious injuries after being hit by a car.

The two teenagers had been spending the day hanging out in Nick's granny flat-style bedroom and neighbours reported seeing them playing in the backyard pool showing no signs of anything abnormal.

Around 8.30pm AEDT Nick's younger brother made a frantic call to his mother saying he had found the teen slumped on the floor not breathing.

Police said officers later found the bedroom had been "smashed up".

A neighbour performed CPR on Nick as paramedics rushed over.

But the ambulance was stopped just around the corner from the Mitchell's house when it came across Nick's friend who had been struck by a car.

Another ambulance was sent out for Nick but he was pronounced dead on arrival at Gosford Hospital.

Detectives said the incident came after numerous other reports of people suffering serious side effects from LSD and there were fears a toxic batch of the drug could be circulating.

"LSD, if that's what it was, is an insidious drug. It's got a smiley face on it and looks harmless, but it kills," Detective Superintendent Nick Bingham told The Daily Telegraph.

Brazilian student Roberto Laudisio Curti died in Sydney's CBD in March after he took LSD, fell into a psychotic state and was tasered by police after a struggle."

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/2012/12/06/15/08/expert-says-teen-death-not-from-lsd-overdose

Its hard to believe journos could be so incompetent as to not check out how difficult it is to die from LSD, but maybe its not incompetence...

• Like 2

I dont buy the paper, but the huge front page headline jumped out at me at the servo and I bought the fucking thing.

It upset me all day that they can blame LSD with no proof let alone an autopsy or Toxicity test.

His mate ran nude in front of a car and the bedroom was trashed.

That sounds like they had a Brugmansia brew to me. Plenty in flower at the moment.

Still......there have been a few deaths on the Coast from reportedly ecstasy and now LSD in the last 3 mths.

I wish that they would follow up and tell us exactly what is getting around that is wiping out kids and giving the Media fuel to rubbish these normally safe substances.

Something has killed these kids.

I work with the guy whos beloved son died from "ecstasy" recently

Poor guy went grey overnight and was close to a nervous breakdown, he will never recover.

But its too raw and sensitive to ask him exactly what the autopsy found.

I have a 22yo daughter who is out there, taking things, and she is very well educated with street smarts, but a bad batch is something you dont find out about till someone tests it.

I just dont get it. Making a drug that makes people sick and kills your customers is not the best way to make money and build a dealership.

Id love to know the real story, not the hysterical one.

post-337-0-51620500-1354771563_thumb.jpg

post-337-0-19813600-1354771566_thumb.jpg

Edited by colhawk
  • Like 5

I wonder if this kind of scare campaign works? Maybe on people pre-internet.

Supt Bingham! Insidious? Wha the! LSD ("if that's what it is" what kind of a statement is that?) would have to be one of the most upfront honest drugs around.

This was a perfect time for media to push the need for testing, but no. They went for the dollar instead, of course.

• Like 1

lsd caused the holocaust

lsd is responsible for global warming (which isn't even real but if it is it's lsd's fault)

lsd caused the gfc

lsd caused cyclone yasi

lsd lit the black saturday fires

lsd made the black plague

and on top of all of that, lsd made baby jesus cry

shame on you lsd, shame on you.

• Like 1

"Something has killed these kids."

Prohibition.

Lack of education, lack of knowledge of the substance, lack of knowledge of dosage, lack of quality assurance, lack of alternative, fear of authority also leads to them not having responsible adults present.

Whatever does turn up in the tox report I'm sure the irony of having had access to LSD will be lost.

My own speculation either someone has fucked up the doseage bigtime or they have mixed up the dosage with another chemical maybe even unknowingly recieved the wrong RC has happened before & as long as we try to prohibit these things unfortunately will happen again.

Edited by shruman
  • Like 6

"I have a 22yo daughter who is out there, taking things, and she is very well educated with street smarts, but a bad batch is something you dont find out about till someone tests it."

Maybe buy her a testing kit & teach her how to use it, unless that was the test you meant. Its not foolproof but its a huge leap in the direction of being safer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pill_testing

• Like 1

lsd caused the holocaust

lsd is responsible for global warming (which isn't even real but if it is it's lsd's fault)

lsd caused the gfc

lsd caused cyclone yasi

shame on you lsd, shame on you.

You forgot that LSD gives you aids.

"Dirty. Stinking. Aids"

• Like 2

"Darkness of losing a child to drug evil

EVERY time I hear of another teenager losing their life to drugs, it breaks my heart.

Our deepest sympathy goes to Nick Mitchell's family, we know their pain all too well.

The drug laws in this country, and in NSW, are a complete joke.

They are desperately bad and need to be changed - or we will keep losing young lives to these despicable substances.

We need compliance and enforcement. Police need to arrest kids possessing drugs, as well as those using them.

But the sad reality is that we just don't have the police manpower to do this.

It's truly heartbreaking that, despite the warnings out there about drugs, young people still experiment with them.

I don't know what it will take for them to heed the warnings, and I honestly don't know what we do to stop it.

We need a government that's committed to stamping out drugs, but the problem is that they're not interested in targeting drugs because drug users don't vote.

In the meantime, I think the best way young people will learn the dangers of drugs is by hearing from people who have lost a child, a brother or sister, through drug use.

My wife Angie spent many years going around schools and talking to kids about our experience of losing Anna.

I couldn't do it. I couldn't talk for the first three years, because I couldn't stop crying.

You can write as many books as you want, or hand out thousands of pamphlets, but if you have the courage as a parent who has been through the tragedy to talk about what it's like to lose your child to drugs, people will listen.

TONY WOOD IS THE FATHER OF TEENAGER ANNA WOOD WHO DIED AFTER TAKING ECSTASY 17 YEARS AGO"

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/darkness-of-losing-a-child-to-drug-evil/story-e6frg6n6-1226530790430

:BANGHEAD2: :BANGHEAD2: :BANGHEAD2:

Edited by shruman

What's the bet it's 25i-NBOMe or some other fucked up RC.

I've actually got a Daily Telegraph sitting in my car somewhere. I didn't bother reading. They were giving them out for free at McDonalds..

In the world of 'journalism', desperate times call for desperate measures I suppose.

Edited by SYNeR
  • Like 2

:BANGHEAD2: :BANGHEAD2: :BANGHEAD2:

He's right though, if his daughter was put in prison for having ecstasy at least she'd be alive! maybe

• Like 2

drug users don't vote

post-1342-0-37492800-1354799730_thumb.pn

post-1342-0-37492800-1354799730_thumb.png

post-1342-0-37492800-1354799730_thumb.png

He's right though, if his daughter was put in prison for having ecstasy at least she'd be alive! maybe

zero tolerance doesn't work. never has and never will. plenty of countries have it.

What would have saved Anna Wood would have been basic drug edcation and non-prohibition. ie, education about how much water to drink and education fo her friends that it is safe to call an ambulance when drugs go wrong. Anna died because she had drunk too much water, was going hypoxic as a result and her friends were too scared to call an ambulance. Her death was entirely preventable with basic education and that is a shortcoming the parents and the rest of society will have to live with.

Tony Wood rejected most of the coroner's recommendations. It is easier to blame a system that has never worked and can't work than to look at his own shortcomings. Anna had taken ecstacy lots of times before she died. her father denies this even though many ravers knew her well and the coroner had stated that she was 'not drug naive'.

What happened to Anna is really sad, but what I find even sader is that her parent's efforts have and will cause other kids to die.

As for Nick Mitchell's death, it again will increase the risk of death for further kids because the media is slamming a fairly safe drug which will steer others away from LSD and towards other substances which are invariably less safe.

• Like 5

What's the bet it's 25i-NBOMe or some other fucked up RC.

That's the exact compound I'm betting on. I know a 17 year old who had a mate order tabs of that stuff from silkroad dirt cheap, like so fuckn cheap that its understandable why greedy individuals would sell it as acid.

"Something has killed these kids."

Prohibition.

Lack of education, lack of knowledge of the substance, lack of knowledge of dosage, lack of quality assurance, lack of alternative, fear of authority also leads to them not having responsible adults present.

Whatever does turn up in the tox report I'm sure the irony of having had access to LSD will be lost.

My own speculation either someone has fucked up the doseage bigtime or they have mixed up the dosage with another chemical maybe even unknowingly recieved the wrong RC has happened before & as long as we try to prohibit these things unfortunately will happen again.

When I first saw the headline I admit I was quite surprised at the notion of 15 year olds eating psychedelics on the Central Coast full stop, until I read that he attended Gosford Selective school, where I was doing the exact same thing in year 9 at that place. Fortunately for me everything I bought in my teens was the real deal, but that was before the massive influx of research chems we see today circulating as E or Cid, and even the occasional batch of 2c or kbomb pills floating around were always sold as what they were as opposed to E.

On the note of toxicology can anyone confirm whether they can even detect LSD??? I know somebody who threw themselves off a parking lot building and broke every bone in lower body - was in hospital for a year + rehab.

She didn't remember throwing herself off at all but Gosford hospital ran a tox screen upon admission that came back negative for drugs and alcohol - I know for a fact she'd taken acid.

Yes, it is possible to test for LSD and its metabolites, but due to the small dose compared to most other recreational drugs and how extensively it is metabolized concentrations fall below the limit of detection pretty quickly. There's a newer method that looks at a different metabolite that allows for longer (beyond 36-48 hour) detection in the urine, but I don't know the capabilities or standard tests run by Australian hospitals.

Edited by mira

LSD is one of the safest drugs around imho. I remember when I was about 15 we could get a 10 strip for $70, the supply dried up in the year 2000. I remember specifically because the last lot we got were the Hoffman 2000’s for New Years Eve. Ya had to get lucky after that and could only ever hook up a few over priced tabs every once in a while.

Point is, LSD never hurt anyone of my friends even though we had easy access to copious amounts of it, worst-case scenario someone would have a melt down and refuse to go near it ever again. Though, I do remember being at an abandoned brick factory one weekend where we had used old crates to have a fire, everyone on acid was just sitting around watching the flames tripping out on the amazingly complex nature of life, except for a few of my mates who had decided to drink instead. They thought it was more fun to see who could run the fastest down an extremely steep 10-metre slope, well being blind drunk. I suppose it probably was fun, until one of my mates lost his balances then took a 3 metre dive and hit the ground head first, cracked his head open and knocked himself out clean. He was a complete vegetable for months and never really came fully back.

His mum bought him the alcohol, probably in the hope it would stop him from doing these ‘illegal’ drugs he was getting into, which she had recently become extremely concerned about. Kind of ironic really.

• Like 1

Yes, it is possible to test for LSD and its metabolites, but due to the small dose compared to most other recreational drugs and how extensively it is metabolized concentrations fall below the limit of detection pretty quickly. There's a newer method that looks at a different metabolite that allows for longer (beyond 36-48 hour) detection in the urine, but I don't know the capabilities or standard tests run by Australian hospitals.

Thanks for the clarification.

LSD is now apparently testable for 3 weeks post consumption. This is via blood sample and GC/MS or HPLC [can't remember which]. It is expensive to test at this sensitivity and would not be part of a standard tox screen unless lsd was the prime suspect.

Can you please try to track down a reference to that effect? That is an absurd increase from the longest limits I could find in recent literature which state "96

hours for its metabolite 2-oxo-3OH-LSD", and quite hard to believe considering the half-life of LSD itself is <6h.

what a load of shit how dare they publish such uneducated shit this writer should be fired on the spot. It wasnt LSD on that tab obviously...... fucken research chemicals this is what prohibition causes... misinformed deaths! what a cop out!

Edited by vual

"Nick's death follows that of Brazilian student Roberto Laudisio Curti, who took LSD on the night he was tasered and died during a police chase through Sydney in March."

Excerpt from the article Alice linked to. Now if I was cynical I would say there is the reason for the pigs beat up, they have very good reason to demonise LSD & sherk their irresponsibility & brutality.

"lsd caused the holocaust

lsd caused the gfc

lsd caused cyclone yasi

shame on you lsd, shame on you."

You forgot lsd killed Roberto Laudisio Curti

• Like 3