The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Khala

Advice

Hey guys.

You're a group of well-travelled world dwellers so I thought I'd ask for some advice here.

Next year I intend to go to university, which is 250km from where i live (about 3 hours depending on traffic).

At this university I will hopefully be living on campus. Parking at this university costs about $150 for a years permit, and apparently parking is pretty limited (Newcastle).

My car needs to have it's insurance, registration and greenslip done just before I go to university, and it will all in all cost me about $1500, which I definitely don't have.

To get passed rego, my car will need a fair bit of work, as it has a large amount of defects I wasn't aware of when i first bought the vehicle, which would total around $2-3000 to fix completely. It also has a large dent in the side panel due to a hit and run (grr), but I intend to fix that myself.

So I'm wondering if you guys think it'd be worth keeping the car. Keeping in mind it's a really old car, it's not in the greatest shape nor is it that reliable. What would my best course of action be?

I imagine I could either get a lift with a mate, catch a train or take the bus to get from my hometown to university, and I could either get public transport in the city or a lift with a mate or skateboard to destinations.

Thoughts? Opinions? Advice?

Thankyou!

If it’s an old car and it’s going to cost that much to get it roadworthy, then definitely get rid of it. You can easily pick up another neat, reliable and fully registered car for under 3 grand.

• Like 2

My decision about the car would be based mostly around resale value, if you are planning to spend that much on it and it would sell for less than that it would be a poor investment. There's no point throwing good money after bad to coin an old cliche

Have you thought about moving closer to Newcastle and using public transport.

On campus accommodation is very limited so it might be worth looking into share accommodation until your circumstances change. It will wear you down trying to fit in all that study if you are traveling for 6 hours day and you're not really going to be at your best, especially towards the end of the week.

Edited by SallyD

I'm confused, are you planning to live on campus and are asking if it would be easy to get around without a car, or are you planning on daily transport from your current house 250 km away to Newy?

I know Newcastle Uni well (studied there) so might be able to provide some tailored advice. Yes parking such balls during semester, if you are not there by 8:40 am then forget it.

I personally could not be without a car, but most people survive just fine on public transport, bike, or skateboard.

Edit: Sell the car and get a motorbike, bike parking is plentiful, and is (finally!) now free for a motorbike at UoN. And I can show you all the secret and secure spots on campus so you'll never be without a park.

Edited by Alice
  • Like 1

Alice I might shoot you a PM soon then, thanks for the heads up.

Yeah I'm considering selling it. Hopefully I'll live on campus, if I can get in, but I hear it's pretty hard.

I'm not intending to drive daily from my current house, no, hahaha. That'd be insane. If I can't get into on-campus I'll attempt to get a house down there or rent with someone.

It all depends on how much you value having a car. Me personally: I couldn't live without one, even if I lived in the middle of the city. If I was in your position I would flog your old car off and buy something cheap and reliable instead. If you get something with rego that takes out some of the cost as well. e.g. Toyotas are pretty reliable, so if you got an old Camry or something you would be looking at: ~$1500 (Car) + $1500 (CTP + Third Party Property - don't worry about comprehensive) minus whatever you get for the old car. Of course there are a few extra costs such as transfer of rego and stamp duty, and the total spend will be about the same, but you will end up with a more reliable vehicle.

No worries, fire away. Housing in general is limited but most people eventually fine somewhere. Just don't leave it until week one to find a place. There will be a temporary abundance of accomodation from Dec to mid-Jane as the out-of-town students finish up and move on.

check out http://www.newcastle.../accommodation/ if you haven't already, I believe the uni still has a database of both on and off campus shared accomodation, and can help you find a place through local real estates, matching you up with other students looking for similar arrangements. Jesmond and Birminghan gardens are walking distance, Shortland a bit cheaper and a longer walk but still very close. Biggish shops at Jesmond with Woolies and Big W etc.

Newcastle is awesome, you're going to love it.

Edited by Alice

You could also just see how you go without a car for a while and buy a better (yet cheap) one when you need it. The notice boards are full with flyers of international students desperate to get anything they can for their cars before they fly home after finishing uni. Can easily bargain them down as it's better than them leaving empty handed. And they are mostly camry's so you know they're reliable LOL.

If your current car needs that much work, and would still be a shit car at the end of the day, then I would cut your losses and just sell it off rather than spend more on it. Cheap yet good cars exist, particularly if you're happy with a little 4-cylinder hatch or small sedan. My sister just bought a car for $2200, fricking immaculate inside and out, 1 elderly owner, always garaged, always serviced, low k's for the age, etc. They are out there.

Edited by Alice
  • Like 1

Current car is a four cylinder Honda, reliable engines but it's got its share of issues, so I'd rather not deal with it. PM'd you Alice.

my advice [ from experience ] is not to become emotionally attached to a vehicle , or spend too much money on repairs , unless you intend long term ownership . As for insurance , if it is not a valuable car consider only insuring against damage to other folks' cars , and not your own . This type of insurance [ third party property ? ] is not all that expensive ; and is essential imo - I once wrote off somebody's new Jag - so grateful for the insurance . [ one of those horrendous chain-reaction pile ups . A car slammed into my rear at a stop light , I then pushed the Jag into the guy in front of him , etc . I don't know how they sort those accidents out ] .

Edited by Heretic

Hey,

Which college are you living in? I lived at Evatt House for a year (2005).

Do you need a car? Not really.

You'll find you can do shopping runs with students you live with. Jesmond is only a few minutes away. There's plenty of buses running to/from the university all the time.

I had a car when I lived on campus in first year, but I didn't use it much at all.

Also, if you live on campus, that entitles you to park in the residential parking -- so you won't need a parking permit on top of that unless you were to move your car into the general parking and I'm

not sure why you would do that.. Unless this has changed. The university has become ridiculous over the past few years as far as parking and general costs go.

I didn't like living on campus much. After first year, I moved to off-campus student accommodation which was practically next to University Drive anyway. As before, I'd just walk to class.

Let me know if you have any questions. I was there from 2005 - 2010, so hopefully things won't have changed too much since then.

Here's a little hint, but it may not work anymore: I parked for several years down the back Engineering parking lot without a permit or buying a ticket. I never got fined.

I don't think campus security do issue parking fines much -- it's usually done by external people, and they tend to gravitate more towards the large car parks out the front (ie outside of Design and Maths).

Again though, things may have changed.

Edited by SYNeR

Hey Syner, thanks for the reply. What was Evatt like? I'll either live in Evatt or Edwards self catered, or will live in Barhineban share self catered with a mate.

Okay, I think it is a good idea to get rid of the car. Even if I let the rego run out I can leave it at home and sell it when I come up or something for cash.

I'd prefer Evatt over Edwards Hall... Edwards Hall has more of a 'frat' feel about it.. Plenty of drunken lads, etc :\

Hey

I might see you around sometime, i also intend to start studying at Newcastle Uni next year.

If you see me come and say hi

Im super easy to spot out, Tall and slim with the biggest mop of red curly hair getting around town B)

Im super easy to spot out, Tall and slim with the biggest mop of red curly hair getting around town B)

Ronald?

It's going to be like a SAB party everyday! Haha

Well im going for a more Blake Anderson, Workaholics Vibe

Who else at The Corroboree goes to Newcastle uni ?

I study at UoN and don't personally live on campus but know some that do. Most of them love having a car but I wouldn't say it is required. I'd probably sell it and see how you go because you can always get a car here. As far as parking goes I've managed very well parking off campus or in the free parking down near the train station. I don't often not get a park close by and find I don't need to walk much more than 5-10 minutes to get to class, has saved me a fair bit of money so far plus adds to my daily exercise. If you need help when you get to Newcastle don't be shy!

Thanks Shamanistic. Will keep that in mind. Great to know I'll know some people down there :)

I parked for several years down the back Engineering parking lot without a permit or buying a ticket. I never got fined.

Heh, the bastards used to prowl there all the time when I was there - and I reckon that I spent more years collecting degrees and fines than most (I'm embarrassed to admit how many of both). As Alice said you've got no chance if you don't get there by 8:40 - in the end I used to just park in Birmingham Gardens and cut across the road instead of doing three laps of the campus and going out again anyway.

Waaay back in the old days I used to park right behind the Great Hall near the air conditioning units. There were a few spaces and they weren't signed back then,and for some reason people never used to go up the back road. That was sweet, especially for lectures and labs at 9:00 am.

Personally, if I was going to do it again I'd probably live in town and bus it. Newcastle East, the Hill, and some of the streets behind the art gallery are really boho, and I went to some pretty amazing parties around there.

Ah, those were the days...

But if you want to be close to uni Khala and you don't mind a room in a pokey share house, I might be able to ask around - I have a rellie who rents out a couple of properties in BG and Jesmond.

Hey waterdragon that'd be great, if I don't get into on-campus this year. I intend to move off campus after this year, so I'll be looking around then. Cheers!