The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
drugo

Listen to your gut

An elusive feeling had been burning in my stomach for weeks. It wouldn’t leave and when finally asked to speak up whispered ‘Words and thoughts are not our primary tools of knowing. They approximate the feeling-tones of an infinitely more optimal stratum of wisdom that flows along embodied sense perception — including along the perception of those subtle feelings in the stomach and joints. Words such as love, fear and beauty exist as opaque echoes of these ineffable currents of the sensual world. Learning to navigate principally with sensual ways of knowing maximises health and creativity. When thought is relegated to the role of assistant the spontaneous vigour of eternity is given space to breathe. Listen to your gut’.

• Like 7

My gut instinct has always been something I rely upon. Never been wrong! For example.. my ex fiance had a certain tone to her voice yesterday and when her and her christian drug dealer of a partner came to pick up my daughter yesterday afternoon.. I could tell something was up. She has had a falling out with her boyfriend I think.. Just the way she looked at me and yeah, the tone she had in her voice.

I bet the poor bitch is starting to regret falling pregnant to this dickhead! Not my business anymore though.. She's no good to me now.

• Like 1

Well, I wouldn't be totally unconcerned - she still looks after and raises your daughter. :)

• Like 2

i've always been under the impression your "gut" feeling is your subconsious/instinctive brain reacting to a stimuli which it recognises , and we stupidly override it with ego/id

i remember reading a paper that stated your eyes see many more things than you "notice" and often a "gut" feeling can be your subconsious reacting to a warning signal it has noticed but you have not.

• Like 6

wouldn't a gut feeling be the id?

My gut feeling recently told me to get into stacking precious metals before the SHTF.

It took some effort to override my normal thoughts that money in the bank is the safest place to keep it.

Now I dream of treasure :blink:

• Like 2

yeah thats true CBL. I have my daughter more often than she does but that is one thing I respect her for, she is a good mother.

Edited by LikeAshesWeFade

i remember reading a paper that stated your eyes see many more things than you "notice" and often a "gut" feeling can be your subconsious reacting to a warning signal it has noticed but you have not.

Ever since i have been a child i've had countless experiences which fit nicely in with this idea.

I used to always get words, sentences or images appearing in my mind suddenly and then i would struggle for a few moments to trace them back to where they came from.

Often i would eventually find these words or images in my enviroment on billboards, posters, cars, sometimes so small i struggle to read them conciously, yet my subconcious picks them up so rapidly alot of the time i cant even connect the dots and have random dribbles of imformation cycling around my brain with no inherant reason for them being there.

These skills would have been crucial for survival when humans lived in nature (rather than on top of nature) but sadly for us, these chanells are extensively manipulated for the purpose of making us want to buy stuff.

• Like 1

I 'followed my gut' late last year, which led me to make a life-scuplting decision based purely on one meeting with someone i had never encountered before.

I was encouraged by a family friend to become a reliever at a stiener kindy, and they had to really twist my arm to convince me to go meet the teachers and put myself forward for it.

At that stage i was planning on going to art school, i'd had almost nothing to do with kids and really couldnt see myself as a teacher.

However during that one 15minute meeting, this woman told me i would be an amazing teacher and i should go for it.

It was like a war went on in my brain for about a week, then i applied for teacher's college, got in, loved it, got amazing grades and here i am about to sit my end of year exams, knowing that this was one of the best decisions i ever made.

I never really thought i actually liked kids a year ago, and now their insane cuteness literally brings tears to my eyes even thinking about it.

• Like 2

The conscious, rational mind is only a small part of knowing, but we make so much of it.. maybe because it allows us to maintain some semblance of control.

The great ocean of the unconscious registers, remembers and knows vastly more than the sliver of consciousness that emerges from it like the primordial mound.

By definition, this knowledge cannot be accessed or assessed consciously, only intuitively.

• Like 1

Brain Science Podcast, Episode 19: Gut Feelings

This episode is a discussion of Gut Feelings: The Intelligence of the Unconscious (2007) by Gerd Gigerenzer

Dr. Gigerenzer argues that unconscious decision-making or intuition is actually based on the use of hueristics (rules of thumb) that can be explored, and even brought into awareness. In this episode I discuss his basic arguments with an emphasis on the differences between intuitive reasoning and formal logic. Then we explore some examples including the application of these ideas to more controversial areas like morality and social instincts.

• Like 1

It goes without saying

• Like 1

my gutz hurtz!!

• Like 1