The Corroboree
GregKasarik

Transcendent Compounds - Hunger Strike for Religious and Spiritual Freedom - 2012

Not long to go now, Greg. What are you doing to pysically prepare your body in the lead up ? I would suggest that you start tapering off your food consumption from today, and living on as little as possible for the next 9 days. The more a person eats, the more often they become hungry. You may also wish to supplement your body with glucose dissolved in water after you commence.

Actually, my preparation has been to eat an amazing amount of junk, focusing especially on chocolate and lollies! :-) I now have a good ten kilos that I can afford to loose in a hurry. What I am doing is tapering off my caffeine intake, as withdrawal headaches aren't going to make things any easier to manage!

I've fasted for up to 11 days before, and to be honest, I don't think that there is any real way of preparing the body for a hunger strike and there isn't any research on how to best approach it. Going without food, is bloody difficult, irrespective of what you've eaten in the lead up. Once you stop eating, the body very quickly lets you know, irrespective of how you've tried to prepare. The main thing is to get past the first three days, as those are the hardest.

The last thing that I want to do is to lose weight prior to the hunger strike, as I'm going to need every last bit of fat to tide me over the whole time.

I did offer myself as a guinea pig for research, but nobody took me up on my offer.

It's canon, not cannon: just a typo I am sure (there are a few others in there) but an important difference.

Could you explain a little more about how you think entheogen use should be seen as a 'canon of conduct'?

Has this term been interpreted further in any legal precedents?

Psylo, wouldn't glucose kind of undermine the whole idea of a hunger fast? fasting is easy with sugar

Spelling always gets me. Three degrees and I still can't pick the right word! Still, all that psychology study taught me that I am what is called a "good reader, poor speller", and that there are good psycholinguistic reasons for my spelling deficit. I try to comply with appropriate spelling, but often it gets the better of both me and my spell checker. :innocent_n:

As the Charter is only been in force for a few years, there are no legal precedents to any of this, so I am very much at the mercy of possible adverse interpretations in court. However, I think I'm on fairly solid ground.

These compounds are important, because the create the mystical state and allow people to understand "The Principles" from an experiential, rather than simply theoretical framework. So certainly from within the framework of Community of Infinite Colour, they are a "Canon of Conduct". Similarly, anyone who describes themselves as a mystic could claim similar perspectives and justifications and legality of use.

I discuss it here: http://www.kasarik.com/TCs-and-Community.php

I sincerely wish you success Greg , for the prohibition is wrong , and not only for religious reasons . Please be careful with this for health reasons . Perhaps consider Psylo's suggestion of glucose [ and maybe other ] supplements , because [ as I understand ] cognitive impairment can result from such actions . Others will disagree , but I believe you ought to consider some fruit juices if totally forsaking substantial foods . I personally do not feel that to do so would detract from your intent .

Thanks for the good wishes. At this stage, I'll be looking to take soluble multi-vitamin supplements but am not intending to take anything of calorific significance. If later in the action, I am advised otherwise by medical practitioners, I'll consider changing tack. My intent isn't to harm myself, but to make a point and to raise awareness about our plight.

Interesting, one of the early symptoms of fasting is actually hyper-activity, so for the first 10-15 days. I'll probably feel like I'm on top of the world. What happens after that is unfamiliar territory for me, but I'll do my best to keep people posted!

As an aside, I always have to roll my eyes when people announce a hunger strike and then less than a week later they are in a wheelchair, or "collapsing". Our bodies have evolved hyper-activity specifically to ensure that we have the physical energy and psychological alertness required to get to food in enough time to avoid major starvation.

It might needlessly be judging others harshly, but wheelchairs, or collapsing within a week is either a reflection of an inherently unhealthy person, or primadonna grandstanding. Certainly if I end up collapsing within the first week, I'll seriously reconsider my aptitude for fasting and perhaps look to take up a career in acting instead... :wink:

• Like 2

Pretty sure everyone here loves to grow plants....learn about them....and use them...full stop.....pretty sure that group of ideals in itself constitues what I and everyone else here beleive (amongst our other ideals(christian, muslim, atheist, and all the other idenditified religions) and therefore under greg's proposition, we will all be able to use transcendant compounds anyway, because we are all of the Corroboree religion.

Sad to see everyone arguing. Greg....I support what you are doing, but can also certainly see why some may be opposed to the idea of transcendant compounds only being avaible to selective religions. How are you going to define religious beleif's? As this is the biggest issue by far I think....

As an atheist in pursuit of altered states of consciousness, I really couldn't give a proverbial which way it becomes legal for me to grow my own drugs and use them, for no other reason other than I f@cking want to!

So sick of the man telling me what to do, and seeing my brothers and sisters argue as a result of it! :BANGHEAD2:

My choice is what I choose to do...and if im causing no harm it shouldnt bother you.

Your choice is who you choose to be, and if your causing no harm then your alright with me! - Ben Harper

Back to the Garden amongst the gnomes and fairy's!!

Peace

• Like 2

Hiyall!!

Tomorrow is the big day that the Hunger Strike kicks off! I'll be having a last lunch of psilocybe mushrooms at midday in the Bourke Street Mall and that will be that for the next 37 days.

I'm very nervous, slightly terrified and just a little bit excited by it all.

At this stage it is still very much a one man show, so any help, or assistance would be greatly appreciated.

I'd encourage everyone who is in Melbourne to come into town for a visit. I suspect that this is going to fray my nerves somewhat and a bit of moral support would be good.

Greg

• Like 1

I discussed Transcendent Compounds and the Hunger Strike with Nick of the Ensychedelia podcast at the Origins of Consciousness Tour.

My bit starts at 27 minutes, but the entire podcast is well worth a listen (as are all the others!).

http://enpsychedelia.podomatic.com/entry/2012-10-19T07_19_53-07_00

Sad to see everyone arguing. Greg....I support what you are doing, but can also certainly see why some may be opposed to the idea of transcendant compounds only being avaible to selective religions. How are you going to define religious beleif's? As this is the biggest issue by far I think....

It is sad to see all this division, but people feel strongly about the issues raised.

I discuss the "what" of religious beliefs here: http://www.kasarik.com/What-is-%22Religion%22-.php

As an atheist in pursuit of altered states of consciousness, I really couldn't give a proverbial which way it becomes legal for me to grow my own drugs and use them, for no other reason other than I f@cking want to!

So sick of the man telling me what to do, and seeing my brothers and sisters argue as a result of it! :BANGHEAD2:

100% correct. The world would be a much nicer place if it weren't for ignorant, authoritarian controlfreaks trying to tell us how to live our lives.

Especially when most of them make such a mess of their own.

• Like 2

All the best Greg

I intend to go down and say g'day at some stage over the next month or so and show some support (on a weekend)

Hooroo for now

All the best with it.

Hope it goes well.

But maybe you,Greg, should be consuming a

"Transcendent compound" every 2 or so days?

Enough of each to see "god"? & a different one each time.

Should give you sustenance mentally, Etc.

& I would be interested in your mental state at the end.

Don't mean to offend any one.

Just a thought! ;)

Thanks for all of the positive wishes. First day of Hunger Strike 2012. I started it at midday, with a last lunch of psilocybe mushrooms and was quite trippy (but still coherent) throughout the afternoon. I have considered taking some acid later on, but for the moment am keeping things simple.

Interestingly, I sent the major media outlets and Premier Ted a press release saying that I'd be tripping in the Mall, but nobody turned up. Not even the police.

This just reinforces my contention that Transcendent Compounds are a quagmire that the Victorian Government doesn't want to get dragged into. By formulating them as non-addictive, non-toxic and psychologically safe in appropriate dose, set and setting, I have effectively hamstrung any argument that they might bring against me. Sure they can argue that they aren't "perfectly safe", but that isn't anything that I've ever denied and whatever way you paint it, they are still way safer than alcohol.

Which is why over the next 36 days, I intend to drag them to the table and force them to recognise that that the use of Transcendent Compounds is an ancient and valid form of religious and spiritual expression and that they can only lose when faced with dedicated people, who are prepared to call their bluff. Success in the short term is unlikely, but in the long term, I think that it is fairly much guaranteed.

I still need considerable help on this project. I'm holding my own, but the extra horsepower from the help of others, would be really useful.

• Like 2

Good work Greg! This is awesome and I'll come down and see you when I can. I think you're making such a strong argument and the government knows it; their irrational bias and discrimination against these substances/plants is showing clear. I think success is guaranteed, but it always was. It's just a matter of time and energy now, but you're paving the way in terms of bringing this issue to public attention. How is it going? Are you having lots of interesting chats with people on the street? What's the vibe? Hopefully you can inform people about this stuff if they are curious, and also inspire people who are interested. Keep it up mate!

Greg,

I heard your interview on SNS and found this forum as a result. You pursuits are really interesting and you make some great points. Good luck with your endeavors. Hope you manage to raise some awareness.

good luck.

Hey Psylo,

I haven't got paypal, but I'll pick up a case of water for Greg when I'm heading in. Is there anything else you need Greg? I'll probably make it in tomorrow, seeya then! Keep it real!

Well I went to see Greg today. He's doing well and getting some good exposure in the mall. It's nice to see people read the sign and most are perplexed, but some are interested and have a chat. I was there for a great debate between Greg and a quite agressive/hostile couple who seemed to be projecting some other issues onto him, but Greg handled it well and I think it was a productive exchange. I also think a lot of people don't understand this stuff, and most people grow up with an idea about reality or what plants or drugs are, so they're hostile to begin with. But this is an important stage of getting these ideas out there; people will vent and be hostile at first. Even with the aggressive couple, I got the feeling that it was all just a bit overwhelming for them, but they don't really understand the issues. The guy even thought Greg is dismissive of aboriginal or native religions, which is just not true, but I think he wanted to believe that. Anyway, Greg is putting in some good work and I'll go in and see him again, I know some others have been in, and it would be great if more did too. Also if he can get some media exposure it would be great, I don't know if channel 31 would be interested, but they might.

• Like 1

Thanks for the water, Vine Voice!

End of day three of Hunger Strike 2012. Am very hungry and tired and a little light headed, but in good spirits.

I have been fortunate enough to have a steady stream of friends visiting, which has made it much better for both Saasha (the dog) and I.

The more the merrier, as it means that I can take more toilet breaks and therefore drink more water to stop becoming dehydrated. Also, the Burke Street Mall has a good vibe and having a variety of people around can only build a sense of community.

At the moment, I'm getting into the mall around 11am and staying till 7pm or so. My main issue is carrying all of the stuff in and out, as it is quite heavy (especially the A-frame). I already have a bad back, so it is hurting quite a bit now, although I did purchase a new rucksack tonight, which should make carrying things easier. Later on, when I am weaker, I'll probably end up sleeping there, but that is weeks away yet.

I might try some other parts of town, such as the Abbotsford Convent, but will try to keep people in the loop through the Facebook page and here as well. If you don't see a message, then I should be there during those times, unless something has gone wrong and I haven't been able to post a message.

Internet access is patchy, especially for long messages (I can't type much on a phone...). Now that I have a new bag, I'm going to try taking my laptop in, but its battery doesn't last that long. I'm doing regular video recordings on my phone and have put some of them up on You tube, under Greg Kasarik. They'll probably be a bit repetitive after a while, as there isn't really much to say apart from I talked to people and I'm hungry!

http://www.facebook.com/events/387789641289553/?fref=ts

Hey Greg. :)

With the 'A' frame.... What about putting wheels on it, maybe convert it to a trolley type thing and you can whack all your stuff on that and pull that along?

Anyway, best of luck. I might have to head into the city just to see Sasha again :)

:)

Edited by Amazonian

He might need a hand with someone taking his laptop and charging it from time to time also.

I keep wondering how I can support, and 'cans of food' keep coming to mind. Not quite grasping the nature of the protest LOL

VineVoice, if i transfer ten bucks to you via PayPal, will you pick up a case of water for Greg from a local supermarket before visiting him?

Greg,

I heard your interview on SNS and found this forum as a result. You pursuits are really interesting and you make some great points. Good luck with your endeavors. Hope you manage to raise some awareness.

good luck.

Thanks guys I really appreciate your support.

I am convinced that the Government knows that it is on a losing proposition with this. Moreso after this: http://www.vancouversun.com/Mulgrew+Drug+dominoes+begin+topple/7555366/story.html

I will win. The only question is how long it takes.

Hey Greg. :)

With the 'A' frame.... What about putting wheels on it, maybe convert it to a trolley type thing and you can whack all your stuff on that and pull that along?

Anyway, best of luck. I might have to head into the city just to see Sasha again :)

:)

I had thought of putting wheels on the frame, but I'm not really the handy man sort and I'm not sure how it would work out anyway.

By all means come in and see Saasha. Right now, she is the main attraction!

He mentioned a bit earlier he is going in during the day then somewhere else (home i guess) at night, but will probably end up sleeping there when he is too weak to set stuff up every day.

Good luck greg - although Im not sure i support your entire movement (at least the religious/spiritual aspect) its good to see someone actually getting out there and trying to do something, unlike the majority of us. Hopefully you can help get the wheels of change turning (finally)

• Like 1

I am travelling in and out each day as despite a few visitors I am still a one man show. Sleeping alone at night in the Mall is an invitation to be robbed or bashed.

As poisonshroom said, there will come a time when I am too weak to travel by myself and at that point I won't have any choice but to risk it.

I will be outside the APSAD conference from Mon 19 to Wed 21 Nov.

I may go over there today as well. Get in touch with me via facebook if you want to visit.

I am travelling in and out each day as despite a few visitors I am still a one man show. Sleeping alone at night in the Mall is an invitation to be robbed or bashed.

I thought putting yourself on the line for your beliefs was the entire point of what you where doing? There’s hundreds of half starved people sleeping on the streets of Melbourne every night. How do you expect to stand out if your not 100% dedicated to your cause?

Just saying.