The Corroboree

Inoculating a grain jar with a mister spray bottle ?

Just wondering if this can be an alternative to a oyster spore syringe ? After pressure cooking the jar open the jar lid and inoculate the grain with a mister spray bottle rather than a spore syringe.

Could this be done ?

Would it be better of worse ?

Cheers guys

I'd imagine you'd be introducing a few vectors for contamination that you wouldn't have with a syringe. Taking the lid off is the first one and then you'd create a convection current around the mist as you sprayed it.

But who knows it could work in a sterile environment ie a flow hood if you have an autoclavable mist sprayer to do it with.

• Like 1

Where would you find an autoclavable spray bottle?

i think if you did it under extreme sterile conditions it would work but there would be so many nasties try using a live culture with h202 if you were going to try it

sterility would be your major issue, also for this to work you wouldnt have vermiculite on the top of the BRF which acts as a backup filter for nastys coming though the lid.

now experimentation is an awesome thing, so go ahead if your really keen - but then again you would probably be a lot more successful experimenting with other techniques.

Also you should really only run experiments after you have the basic TEK's down pat as this will give you tons of knowledge so you have a better feel for where there is room for experimentation.

I tried it by glueing an aquarium hose with a needle to the bottle. I guess because I didn't PC the set up, everything contaminated.

They do make an auto injector that can be PCed. You can set it to 1cc-5cc and its only $20USD. Sorry but I don't have a link.