The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
dizzyanarchist

need help with finding some herbs

i am trying to find herbs to improve/help motor co-ordination and memory and preferbly easy to grow in a melbourne backyard.

i had a overdose on the datura last year im still having problems even slight visual blurs that usualy go with anxiety attacks every so often i need to start doin somethin to counteract it and just gettin good co-ordination and gettin some short term memory back would be good but dont want to go on expensive multivitaman usage

would periwinkle help?

As for herbs I'm unsure, there's surely some that will help. I do know though.. That piracetam can help with memory, motor function and it helps repair the nerves in your brain that are affecting your cognitive skills. I done some damage to my brain while abusing psychoactive stims and I believe piracetam has really helped! Just go on ebay and search for it dude. It's reasonably inexpensive.

Also do some study on it, lookup "Nootropic" on Wikipedia. I hope this helps you.

Edited by LikeAshesWeFade

I wonder if the herb Brahmi may be of any help?

Gotu kola (Centella asiatica) would be my first port of call.It is often available from garden stores for $3-5 a plant

here is a bit of info from:

http://www.herbsares.../gotu-kola.html

Gotu kola has been known for centuries, .... to increase brain capacity; and for longevity, often being called, the elixir of life.

A legendary saying, in reference to gotu kola was: ‘2 leaves a day, keeps old age away’.

In Sinhalese culture, they valued the herb to strengthen and revitalize worn out bodies and brains; eating 2-3 leaves a day to bring about a gradual return to health and strength, provided that the body is exposed to the sun, for a time, each day...

Many herbalists have called gotu kola: the finest of all herb tonics. It appears, they say, to have no equal in the treatment of general debility and decline.

... Gotu kola has been called ‘a pharmacy in one herb’, offering impressive benefits.

It is one of the most important, rejuvenating herbs in Ayurvedic medicine, particularly valued for: revitalising nerve and brain cells, promoting calmness and clarity, helping poor memory and lack of concentration, increasing meditation ability and to help balance the left and right hemispheres of the brain. Valued as a brain food, for improving intelligence and reflexes, it has been a herb students have used for: renewing mental alertness, clarity, and energy levels, without the ‘jitteriness’ some people may experience with coffee.

EDIT: i just had a bit more of a look through that website and there is some very valuable information, definately worth having a look yourself, as you can also search for the ailment you are trying to combat and it retirieves all the relevant herbs.

http://herbsarespecial.com.au/index.html

Edited by bogfrog
  • Like 1

I would say Brahmi.

"Effect of Triterpenoid Saponins from Bacopa monniera on Scopolamine-Induced Memory Impairment in Mice" Yun Zhou1, Ling Peng2, Wei-Dong Zhang3, De-Yun Kong4, Planta Medica, 2009; 75: 568-574

Abstract

Three new saponins, bacopasides IX−XI (1-3), together with their known analogues bacopaside I (4), bacopaside II (5), bacopasaponsin C (6), and bacopasaponsin D (7), were isolated from the whole plant of Bacopa monniera. Compounds 3, 4, and 6 showed nootropic activity when tested in the Morris water maze test and step-down test of scopolamine-induced memory impairment in mice.

• Like 1

Have a look at Noopept it's an analogue of Piracetam and is meant to be 1000X stronger, simply meaning you take far less. What is unique about Noopept is the fact that in animal models it has been shown to release Both NGF (neural growth factor) and BDNF (brain derived neurotrophic factor) both of these endogenus chemicals stimulate the groth of new dendrites and axons in the central nervous system. Lion’s maine mushroom also causes NGF to be released. Noopept is taken in very low doses, 10-20mg twice a day. You can order it of e-bay from Aussie distributors. The other nootropic piracetam analogues are also good. Try oxiracetam and pramiracetam, they are the two I use. You should take all of these substances (except Lions Maine) with a choline suppliment. Try either suppshop.com.au or cerebralsuppliments.com.au.

The noopept is definitly the real winner if it works in humans as it does in animals the effects last long after ceasing treatment and due to the low dosage the cost works out to around $38 per year. If you have any questions or want some more info on nootropics pm me.

Edited by Acacia King
  • Like 1

thnx for the help dudes im definately giving noopept a look into sounds interesting i was thinking about bacopa ive just wondered how easy it grow down here. gotu kola didn't think of using that i got a bag of it underneath my mates house from ages ago when i went through a stage of gotu kola coffees it was a nice mood lift if recall wonder how it ages. definately got a big respect for the brugs now such a good looking plant though i shoulda thought of brugs in the way of dont touch me im fucking poisnous instead of after all the warnings to from mates about it but nah is that a datura tree lets go trip. fucking curiousity killed the cat and nearly killed my mate and i by heart attack and suffocation

Sounds like you both had a close call...

I've tried Brahmi and it's a nice pep.

Are you interested in sharing some info about the effects? Maybe someone reading this might think twice before indulging in Datura if the facts are as brutal as they sound. Sometimes 'just don't do it' is not enough for some people. But tales of asphyxiation, bleeding out the ears, convulsions and choking on vomit can really help dissuade people form trying these things.

I know I wanted to try it when i was younger and am really glad I forgot about it before I got my hands on some plant material!

Hope you find some good herbs - please post your results on here as well, so that others with the same issues have some good advice to follow, if they didn't listen to the first :)

• Like 1

Are you interested in sharing some info about the effects? Maybe someone reading this might think twice before indulging in Datura if the facts are as brutal as they sound. Sometimes 'just don't do it' is not enough for some people. But tales of asphyxiation, bleeding out the ears, convulsions and choking on vomit can really help dissuade people form trying these things.

Agreed. Dizzy, if you are comfortable in doing so, a new thread outlining the outcome of your experiences would be a valuable harm minimisation addition to the community, so others might think twice about wrongly using plants of this genus.

• Like 3

it wasn't really vomit for me my mate and i had our throats close up about 2 hours into it they had to stick rubber hoses down our throats so we could breathe luckily enough i was in a coma allready at this point my mate had to ride it through i suffered a heart attack. i gather i got it worse off because of build up from the weekend before now i read it can stay in system up to 16 days. i done about the same dosing the weekend before with a white flower 25 flowers into water boiled down till it was nice and concentrated put more water in it and got it to 2 cups trying to just get rid of the vinegar flavor(dickhead) boil it down with vinegar that will get it all oops... the first weekend with white flowers no effect drank about a shot glass every couple hours until it got to about a cup and gave up and went to bed next weekend found a sanguinea done the same but first shot 5 minutes-10 minutes later my mate and i felt it and fuck did it come on rapidly we where in histerics in 20-25 minutes and then i was paralysed in a full concious body seizure talking to some dude in the corner of my eye at about 45 minutes telling him to fuck off lucky we had a trip sitter and got her to call a ambo 50 minutes into it 1:05 hr into it last thing i remember the ambo dude asking me what i takin i said datura he said whats that BRUGMANSIA SANGUINEA DATURA BAD SHIT they took me away left my mate for the tripsitter to end up restraining him and taking him to hospital as soon as he was getting respitory problems. 3 nighst in icu and 2 in the psych now i never takin it again but find my self spotting every tree smelling it from around the corner getting the shivers

• Like 2

this was easter time last year and i was a reall dickhead on the dosing after doin more research it the plant fascinates me and still fucking my head around time in the yellow submarine at the start of the year was shit as i found residual effects came back reall bad with 23 hour lockdown in a place with no fresh air and fuckloads of anxiety my heart races every so often now and i get the residual effects end up in a panick attack or a anxiety attack and it really fucked with my short term memory that i find my self remembering some stuff in a month i dont think diacytal opiate addiction before i went in really helped

bacopa grows well in melbourne...it just stops growing through winter. keep it always very moist

I hope you have some ongoing support, like a psychologist/counsellor that you get along well with

Gotu kola (Centella asiatica) would be my first port of call.It is often available from garden stores for $3-5 a plant

here is a bit of info from:

http://herbsarespeci...m.au/index.html

Gotu Kola AKA Pennywort is all over the place in QLD, I've found my tent atop of it several times in the morning after setting up in the dark.... I eat it everyday after my stepdad was preaching that it cured his 20+ year Arthrytis after eating 3 leaves a day for only 6 weeks!! He told me it has your RDI of Vits A,B,C and D.... Never really researched this, might check your link Bogfrog.... Cheers!

Wow....Fascinating!

"It was the life history of the renowned Chinese herbalist Professor Li Chung Yun, who lived to the age of 256 years (having outlived 23 wives) which made the western world aware of the true value of herbs for longevity. Herbs he recommended, most highly, were gotu kola and ginseng. He was born in 1677 and in 1933 the New York Times announced the death of this remarkable Oriental, whose life span had reached over two and a half centuries. The Chinese Government officially recorded his age. Professor Li, at the age of 200 years still gave courses of lectures for 28 weeks at a time, each lecture on longevity lasting 3 hours, at a Chinese University. Those who learned from him, declared that he did not appear older that a man of 50, standing straight, strong and had his own natural teeth and head of hair. Besides recommending life-extending herbs, his lectures gave clear-cut guidelines, for those who wished to enjoy a long life. He stressed; one should never be in a hurry ... take it easy ... take your time. He taught his students to sit as calmly as a tortoise, walk as sprightly as a bird, and sleep as soundly as a dog. He advocated avoiding extremes of emotion of all kinds, especially as a person grows older, as nothing drains energy from the body as rapidly, or disrupts the functional harmony of vital organs, as completely, as stress or strong outbursts of emotion. Daily physical exercise and deep breathing was important, as also was a simple, primarily vegetarian, diet; and on hot, summer nights, over-eating should be avoided (as it causes stagnation of the blood and lowered energy). On cold, winter mornings, extra quantities of nourishing foods should be eaten, to provide the extra essence and energy the body required, for keeping warm. It is said that in the Orient, where gotu kola is primarily regarded as a herb for longevity, there are many recorded examples of unusual longevity, attained by those who used the plant, regularly. Elephants seek out gotu kola as a favourite food. Could it be that the strength of the animal, the unfailing memory and its long life, are due to regular consumption of the herb? After Li Chung Yun’s death in 1933, numerous research projects explored the properties of gotu kola and undertook various trials, with wound healing, duodenal ulcers, to enhance memory skills, tumours, etc. In India, scientific documentation of clinical tests, by Dr.M.V.R. Appa Ras and his associates, showed increased mental activity of children in the trials. Fifteen, mentally retarded children were given a 500mg tablet of powdered gotu kola daily. After trials of three months, the children showed increased powers of attention and concentration, considerably above that of the fifteen children in the placebo group. Results also showed significant increase in IQ (4.6%), general ability, with improved behavioural patterns and expression, communication and co-operation. Biochemical studies revealed, gotu kola benefited the replacement rate of biogenic amines: the chemicals in our brains which act as neuro-transmitters, involved in learning and memory process."

• Like 1

I have a small brahmi plant here and can get more from the local markets if you want? i think he sells them for $3 or $4 each. Also i have dried gotu kola herb if you wanted to try that, i saw it was listed above.

Wow I'm definitely looking into gotu kola!! :lol:

refreshing summer drink:

Pennywort Drink

it's very nice to add a few drops of vetiver essence to the syrup, or use Shankhapushpi syrup, instead of the plain sugar syrup, for extra relaxing/cognition enhancing effect

Edited by coin

got a bag of gotu kola under my mates house just need to retreive it i got a couple things worked out atm i like all the info i been gettin i prefer the sounds of what some of u dudes are on about instead goin from doctor to doctor getting datura overdose whats datura its like wtf man i heard about it when i heard about acid the infamous d.o.a trips the fun trips and the horror trips ur a doctor haven't u heard about scolopalamine poisoning and hyoscamine some and only a couple seem to know a little bit about atropine it frustrates me

definately Brahmi.

and Shalaparni (Desmodium gangeticum) if you can find it. Pm me if you want some seed.

Yes, most Doctors have no idea, nor any interest in finding out more. I've asked, on behalf of acquaintances who have expressed a desire to 'travel', several GP's about contraindications with psychedelics if people are on regular medications, and they just sit there looking stupid. No interest whatsoever in even investigating, they instead say, 'oh that would be bad'.

Sounds like you've had quite a battle, mate. Your are doing the right thing in looking for non-pharmaceutical remedies to your issues. That's not t say that conventional medicine won't help you eventually, but until you find the right GP/Psycologist to help you, you may as well turn to mother nature.

• Like 1