The Corroboree
Torsten

Position available at Wandjina Gardens

Position available at Wandjina Gardens. 4-5 days/week [your choice], Thur - Mon [occasional weekends off if needed], 9 to 5, flexible holidays. Position includes all aspects of cultivation and propagation, nursery maintenance, some customer service, webstore updating, seed collection, and garden maintenance.

Applicants should have a keen interest in ethnobotanical plants, their cultivation and traditional use. Extensive prior gardening and plant experience absolutely essential, but commercial nursery experience not required. The work can be both physically and intellectually demanding. Good spelling and an understanding of botanical names is essential.

You should be efficient and able to work both independently as well as part of a team, while being able to follow instructions when required. Independent problem solving and ability to seek information [eg online] is essential. Good memory and fast learning are also important.

If you think you have what it takes then please email me your CV *URGENTLY*. This must include the following details: School education, all TAFE education and traineeships, all previous jobs for at least previous 4 years [including times worked], all skills obtained by other means, licenses & permits [incl car, bike, truck, machinery, chemicals, etc],

Please make sure to provide details of computer skills and plant propagation skills regardless of how they were obtained.

Include your full name, date of birth, residential address, email address, phone number [mobile preferred] and two character references [ex-employers preferred, but not essential].

I like to read CVs full of facts, dates and details. No padded essays please. Do not lie as we will immediately terminate any employee who is in any way dishonest !!

This position requires a high level of experience and a fast learning curve even for the most skilled applicant. It is not suited as a first job fresh out of school or university as we expect a high degree of self management and work ethics.

There is no deadline for the CV, but we will start try outs from tomorrow, so the sooner we get it the better your chances of getting the job.

Contact me via PM to get email address.

• Like 6

experience in dealing with pesky channel 7 reporters is also highly valued :)

• Like 3

my god damn dream job

:wub:

Edited by solomon
  • Like 2

experience in dealing with pesky channel 7 reporters is also highly valued :)

If you can say "fuck off - you're trespassing" then that's good enough for us ;) [that is our official media policy and always has been]

• Like 5

Hey T where do we send or email the resume to?

Dam wish I lived over in your state

Hey T where do we send or email the resume to?

Contact me via PM to get email address.

Shame I live so damn far away, I'm in need of a job and working at Wandjina would have been awesome! Good luck to those who apply :)

I was off a mind you wouldn't be hiring from this community again ? Wouldn't hiring locally be better for local economy? Truckloads with kids with Hort experience around you guys yeah??

Incognito - casting the net wide this time, incl locally, Facebook and here. This is now no longer a casual style fill in position, but a serious career path for the right person. The 'local enonomy' thing doesn't really make sense, cos whoever gets the job will still be part of the local economy - even if they moved up from sydney or across from broken hill. I don't have to advertise for local people because I already have many CV's from them collected over time.

Fair enough. So u will be paying super?

yes, absolutely. bit of a scummy question as you know full well that we generously backpaid any super we missed at the time.

why are you even in this discussion? it's not like you are going to apply for the job, so i presume you're just here to cause trouble?

damn, I'd almost move state for that. :drool2: :drool2: :drool2:

• Like 1

I'd almost move country for that :D

I am absolutely gobsmacked that after years of hearing people dream about getting a job here, I have received not a single enquiry from this forum. Not a problem as we have other applications, but I am just very surprised.

• Like 1

I am absolutely gobsmacked that after years of hearing people dream about getting a job here, I have received not a single enquiry from this forum.

It does sound like a dream job, but as a few have said, unfortunately....just too far away, plus i would have to home school my kids?! I reckon you would make a good teacher/babysitter Torsten ...*considers applying for the gardening job at SAB, :wink:.

I hope you find the right person for the job the first time around.

:)

Edited by Amazonian

I would say it's because most people here are hobby gardeners and are a bit intimidated by the 'extensive' skillset required by applicants. It's also a pretty big life decision to pack up and move to Mullumbimby (or nearby), and something which most people wouldn't want to rush into, so they are probably passing up the opportunity as it looks like you want to fill the position ASAP. That's just my take on it anyways mate. And on the plus side, at least you don't have to sift through piles of CVs from a bunch of dreamers :) .

• Like 1

The job description is aiming pretty high, but that is the skillset required to work here, not necessarily the skillset required to start here. A fast learner with a passion for the field, the right character and work ethic will very quickly fill the requirements by learning on the job. we specifically aren't looking for people who've been in nurseries for many years as we just have to untrain so much - we do things very differently here. Someone who has been growing lots of different plants for many years as a hobby is much more suited to what we want.

As for time constraints, I need to decide on the right person asap, but the actual start date is a bit more flexible [weeks, but not months].

I've got the feeling it is the weekend work that's putting people off. Too many doofing plantheads, LOL.

• Like 1

The work can be both physically and intellectually demanding. Good spelling and an understanding of botanical names is essential.

You should be efficient and able to work both independently as well as part of a team, while being able to follow instructions when required. Independent problem solving and ability to seek information [eg online] is essential. Good memory and fast learning are also important.

Please make sure to provide details of computer skills and plant propagation skills regardless of how they were obtained.

tort, i think i can answere this gobsmack...

sab members/lurkers are either well employed somewhere else, or they lack most of the requirements you are looking for.

i think for example plant probagation, is an artistic virtue, and sientific knowledge is only aiding this process.

many good probagators and you had maybe a few of them (i think mandr....), can't maybe spell proper or have other let downs.

the people here are simply very honest towards you, and don't want to bite off, more than they can chew, at least thats what i think.

i had to attend a surprise visitor, and 3 post were added in the mean time, pls excuse me if i covered the same ground.

• Like 2

My spelling is fine, my computer skills & abilities are great but I'm lacking in all other fields :P

Also, I agree with what planthelper said.

I don't think it's as much the weekend work as it is distance, uprooting lives/other commitments, high requirements for hobbyists, etc.

thought there would be more then a few peeps lining up for a job like this. whats the accommodation situation like up there? Very tempted to send in my CV although not having a license hurts me a bit.

accommodation is pretty good between now and october and then gets increasingly more difficult. Get in now and you're set for the year.

we're easy cycle distance from mullum town and mullum's major residential development, but rural accommodation is probably difficult without a car.

Torsten, I'm gobsmacked too. If I didn't have ankle-biters who would be heartbroken at losing their dad, I'd up stakes and move there just for the job. Weekend work doesn't phase me either - gawd, I've even been dreaming about the whole idea again. And I say "again" because I used to dream about it years ago when you first started.

Sigh...