The Corroboree
PhoenixSon

Native fingerlime flowering

Grafted fingerlime throwing out flowers

Pretty sure it has red fruit and green skin, forget which variety tho :)

Hoping to get some fruit, will update when i do...

post-4338-0-66142000-1345541270_thumb.jp

Will try to get some pictures of the davidsons plum flowers aswell, they look like a moss...

avagoodone

H

post-4338-0-66142000-1345541270_thumb.jpg

post-4338-0-66142000-1345541270_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

mines just about to flower too, flower buds swelled this week. Mine is rainforest pearl and I suspect yours also

sounds familiar can't wait to taste some more fruit.

Cauliflory and Ramiflory are most common in tropical plants.

I went through a major cauliflory craze years ago and i'm finally starting to see the fruits of my labor.

Check out the tasty jaboticaba fruit

http://www.daleysfruit.com.au/fruit%20pages/jaboticaba.htm

And for a nice ornamental check out the native daphne Phaleria clerodendron

There are literally thousands of such plants but most hate frost.

• Like 1

Mmmm, fresh jaboticaba. Not the shop stuff, the fresh stuff, the good bits of the taste and smell don't seem to survive much past harvest

Hey is it just me or does anyone else find eating the fruit straight off the tree has a markedly relaxing effect?

Fingerlime: vegan caviar :)

• Like 1

nice. can anyone tell me why it is i have had no luck taking cuttings of finger limes? tried rooting compounds (bought along with willow also tried asprin) in soil, in water and in water with air pump etc. no luck. im sure Darren from herbalistics takes cuttings like the one i bought but my cuttings never work.

i realy want a few finger lime plants.

btw, limes are a plant i seem to struggle with.

Have a jaboticaba next to the davidson plum,

only a wee bush not expecting fruit in less than 5

native to south america?

Hunt out some markets ghosty for grafted finger limes you'd be surprised how common they are now..

it doesnt sound as much fun as trundling through the bush doing things my way =P but yeah, it might come to that.

i know with the grafts they tend to use bush lemon stock... if that helps...

yeah, I'd try grafting if I were u. In the wild there is lots of variance apparently. Search for the best tasting fruit and graft them. U could prob graft to any citrus tree, just but a few from ur local nursery and graft to them. They are on rootstocks and most tree's do not mind being multi grafted or having a mid section graft (ie, the lemons grafted onto a trifoliate rootstock for example, then graft onto the lemon, u don't need to try and graft onto the rootstock. This way u can rework old fruit tree's into more productive or prefered varieties without needing to rmove established fruit tree's. The large already established rootsystem also means that the reworked grafts will grows alot faster than if they were grafted to small rootstock in 4L pots for example.Grafted finger lime plants are available commercially, mainly the rainforest pearl variety, but i believe there are others too. Use a vernere graft for citrus, it's very easy.

http://www.ces.ncsu....l/grafting.html

This is similar and posibly a little easier.

Fig-35-Side-grafting.jpg

Edited by naja naja
  • Like 1

jaboticaba, you people beat me to it, i had a specimen flower and set fruit after ~5 years, kept in a pot.

some fig trees flower and fruit aswell, out of the trunk and larger branches, they look awesome.

here a pic of my mates fingerlime in flower, it's the only one in flower at the moment, they got 4 plants, but the bigger ones haven't flowered yet. they are grafted onto trifolia, which is the most common methode.

i took many cuttings, but they are a difficult cutting, like all citrus.

but i think i can increase strike rate by using, either water shoots, or young juvenile growth pattern cutting material.

i don't think the trifolia stock does anything good to the fingerlime, i guess, seedlings and cuttings would be better (australian roots, for an australian plant!), they use grafting on trifolia only because, it suits the probagator.post-70-0-08643400-1345687907_thumb.jpg

edit: the white fine dust you see is wood ash, from the wood fired pizza oven.

fingerlime_flower.JPG

fingerlime_flower.JPG

Edited by planthelper

I have 1 on own roots and one grafted, the grafted certainly handles my climate in SW WA better than the non grafted. But I have read that ungrafted are prefered in their natural home ranges.

Rottstock selection and trialing certainly needs to be tested out with this species more. Diff rootstocks effect the amount of spines on citrus and it'd be great to find one that made these guy's less spiny.

Edited by naja naja

i took some cuttings of my friends fingerlimes today!

because this is a new cutting for me, i don't know what type of cutting and what season is the best.

i have tried once before, and can say that fingerlime is a very tough cutting in every sence.

it's tough to strike, and it is a tough cutting!

i have some cuttings in 100% humidety since i guess 7 months or so and they still look fine, but have no roots.

so no problem with damping off, which is very good news.

i think spring cutting will have a greater chance of striking, than my summer cuttings.

aswell this time around i tried different shapes of cuttings, 3 to 4 nodes with tip cut off, 6or more nodes tip cuttings, and some heeled cuttings.

i only removed the bottom leaf, because my first trial cuttings did not show any moisture loss problems.

here are my pics, i use the label as a dibbler, so i don't push off the hormone.

the icecream container, with a sheet of glass on top, was placed in a warm enviroment, now the waiting begins.

post-70-0-02810900-1345887149_thumb.jpgpost-70-0-01285800-1345887231_thumb.jpg

note how i got today's date wrong, lol.

fingerlime_cuttings1.JPG

fingerlime_cuttings2.JPG

fingerlime_cuttings1.JPG

fingerlime_cuttings2.JPG

Edited by planthelper

maybe trial some rockwool cubes..

be good to propagate some plants..

be interesting when you start striking cuttings

know someone close by that has another native lime, but not a finger lime, will grab some photo's if/when i get to see it.

be interesting if the fruit is any good.

How does the finger lime compare in taste to your ordinary tahitian lime? What sort of recipes would they be suitible for?

^^ seconded haha...what do they taste like? I'm considering growing them just for the cool-plant factor, but I've never had the pleasure of trying the fruit before.

Edited by gtarman

I think it is about how the pulp cells stay whole and look like caviar. They are used by chefs alot for the presentation value. I have yet to have the pleasure of tasting one, but have my fingers X'd for getting atleast 1 this year from my own bush for tasting.

• Like 1

They taste really nice. When the little caviar cells pop the mouth fills with limey goodness..

• Like 3

I hope you get some fruit spacemonk.

Does anyone know if you could bud graft from the finger lime to a lemon tree?

Not a T bud graft ( i think its called) but when you slice the bud of and graft that

Edited by DeadStar

How does the finger lime compare in taste to your ordinary tahitian lime? What sort of recipes would they be suitible for?

the tahitian will win juice wise but the fingerlime as said before is like caviar you can take the top off and dump in your beer.

caviar_lines.jpg

perty sure QLD DPI was producing/propagating a few different types at one stage.

it's "novelty" is mainly why it's sought after, but it flowers a couple times a year so its pretty fit for QLD IMO. Depends what your after juice or fruit.

i rekon they'd be the bomb in lemon lime and bitters