The Corroboree
Sallubrious

A bit of a dilemma

I might be a bit quick to post this here, but there is a lot to be said for collective intelligence so it will give me time to consider my options.

I ordered some Loph seeds from an ebay seller almost a month ago and so far nothing has showed up. After being reassured they'd been sent by the seller I took the plunge again and bought a second lot of seed from the same seller (I really wanted the second lot and the price was right so I couldn't resist). The second lot of seeds haven't turned either after another 2 weeks.

I've checked the sellers feedback and from what I can see he is reputable and always delivers so I don't doubt that seeds have been sent. I can only assume they have been lost or stolen in the mail. :BANGHEAD2:

My dilemma is this.

I paid through paypal so my transaction should qualify for their buyer protection scheme and if I make a claim through them I should eventually get my money back.

The only problem is that as far as I know Lophs generally aren't allowed to be listed on ebay and I'm not sure if seeds come under this banner as well.

If I make a claim through paypal I might fuck it for all the others that want to sell or buy Loph seeds because of the attention that the investigation will draw to it.

I don't want to let it drag out too long as I think I only have 45 days to make a paypal claim, but I don't want to fuck it up for everyone.

Thoughts ?

Hmmm, one lot going missing you can understand , but 2 ?!

If it was me, depending on how much I was out of pocket, I might forget about it. But if it was more than like $25- 30 , I would probably ask the seller to help me out . I wonder if the item discription can be changed after the sale on EBay.

Bit of a dilemma SallyD... Yes.

:)

Try and negotiate with him. He might send you a couple freebies which is better than nothing. You may have to be a champion and settle for a compromise.

I got a new tripod this way, after the original one was missing a few key parts.

• Like 1

my thoughts are - fear not... tipz is going to be back selling bulk loph seeds at his old prices very soon :P

( p.s) i dont believe there are any restriction on the sale of seeds )

• Like 3

If it is a product that falls outside of Paypal's protection scheme, as these are, then you will not be compensated.

Hmmm, one lot going missing you can understand , but 2 ?!

If it was me, depending on how much I was out of pocket, I might forget about it. But if it was more than like $25- 30 , I would probably ask the seller to help me out . I wonder if the item discription can be changed after the sale on EBay.

Bit of a dilemma SallyD... Yes.

:)

It wasn't a big sale Amz but it was over 50 bucks, I have informed him and he says he will resend the seeds, but I'm still waiting......

The second lot I ordered after contacting him to enquire if he'd send by registered mail but he talked me out of it. So if nothing comes soon I will take full credit for being scammed.

If it is a product that falls outside of Paypal's protection scheme, as these are, then you will not be compensated.

So aren't seeds covered by paypal ?

or is it just some loophole ?

I once bought a flash memory card from trademe (ssite similar to ebay in nz) and it never arrived, so i contacted the seller, who had very good feedback and he assured me he had sent it. I waited and it didn't show up, so I contacted him again and he said not to worry he would send another one out via express post. A couple of days later I got an express post envelope, with a flash memory container, and no flash card. The bag had not been tampered with, and I asked the seller what the story was and he promised andf assured me so politely that he had sent it, and it must have been styolen in the mail. I told him I thought he was a worthless low life and he could go to hell.

Never had any other problems like that before or since, but it made me realize there are definitely people out there who are happy to scam you and then lie nicely about it to your face.

anyway gl, hope you get it sorted, but sounds kind of dodgy to me, especially if he talked you out of registered post (what reasons did he offer?)

Edited by chilli
  • Like 1

It wasn't a big sale Amz but it was over 50 bucks, I have informed him and he says he will resend the seeds, but I'm still waiting......

The second lot I ordered after contacting him to enquire if he'd send by registered mail but he talked me out of it. So if nothing comes soon I will take full credit for being scammed.

So aren't seeds covered by paypal ?

or is it just some loophole ?

Sounds like the guy didn't want to give his address out.

Straight seeds are covered by Paypal's protection policy but Lophophoras are not

I would try to open a case under the paypal protection policy. Most of the times, these guys decide in a second and dont really know about the botanical names they are dealing with. But is it possible the seeds were intercepted? If it was an international letter, chances are they were confiscated because Lophophora is a CITES I protected species.

Edited by Evil Genius

please tell me you did not buy some of those ridiculously priced loph seeds ive been seeing on ebay

tipz and i will both be back with a good lot of seed soon to go around for all id just forget it one of us will sort ya out for a good price :)

that go's for anyone else looking for loph seed

keep your eyes peeled the for sale threads will be coming soon ;)

my thoughts are - fear not... tipz is going to be back selling bulk loph seeds at his old prices very soon :P

( p.s) i dont believe there are any restriction on the sale of seeds )

The last time I read the rules there was a restriction on importing any mescaline producing cactus seeds from overseas. However, I was free to buy them within Australia.

yay more loph seeds, gosh i am a greedy bastard surely the 50 odd seedlings i have are enough... pshh who am i kidding GIVE MEH MOAAAAR!!!!! factor me in around 250+ seeds when you get them please.

My place is going to be interesting in 1-2 years time... going to be pricking out a few thousand cacti LOL.

• Like 1

anyway gl, hope you get it sorted, but sounds kind of dodgy to me, especially if he talked you out of registered post (what reasons did he offer?)

He told me he sends them padded in envelopes and that no-one else has had any trouble. He also told me he'd compensate for any problems

Sounds like the guy didn't want to give his address out.

Straight seeds are covered by Paypal's protection policy but Lophophoras are not

The seeds were listed as button cactus so I might have a chance, I don't remeber seeing the genus or species listed in any of the listings, just the sub species or reigion was listed.

I would try to open a case under the paypal protection policy. Most of the times, these guys decide in a second and dont really know about the botanical names they are dealing with. But is it possible the seeds were intercepted? If it was an international letter, chances are they were confiscated because Lophophora is a CITES I protected species.

No they were a local sale sale from my state where they are legal to own and trade (as far as I know). The postie has just been and still no seeds, so I think I will lodge a paypal claim.

please tell me you did not buy some of those ridiculously priced loph seeds ive been seeing on ebay

tipz and i will both be back with a good lot of seed soon to go around for all id just forget it one of us will sort ya out for a good price :)

that go's for anyone else looking for loph seed

keep your eyes peeled the for sale threads will be coming soon ;)

I think they were overpriced but not as much as some I've seen, one of the orders cost $30 for 100 seeds which was an auction where I was the only bidder, I think he was expecting them to go for $50 or more.

It wasn't one of those ones that went for over $20 for ten seeds.

I might get some more from you myco, I'll send you a message about the last lot I got from you.

yay more loph seeds, gosh i am a greedy bastard surely the 50 odd seedlings i have are enough... pshh who am i kidding GIVE MEH MOAAAAR!!!!! factor me in around 250+ seeds when you get them please.

My place is going to be interesting in 1-2 years time... going to be pricking out a few thousand cacti LOL.

kohres cacti....

cheap as

kohres cacti....

cheap as

i worry when i visit that site, i am happily plodding along adding things to my cart which is all of a sudden at nearly 1,000 dollars. *sigh* i think i need to make some more money first

SallyD, remain polite to the seller and if nothing arrives in a few weeks, just ask him/her for a refund. If they have built a good feedback rating so far, they won't take the chance of having that ruined. Feedback is everything, I will not buy from someone with poor recent feedback.

I wouldn't open a paypal dispute for such an amount, I have heard of people having their linked accounts (credit card etc) frozen by paypal while the dispute continues. And you can't exactly call up paypal to argue with them. Just try finding a phone number or physical address, it's ridiculous. But clever of them, pricks.

Edit: And don't wait until the 45th day to sort this out. I gave an overseas seller the opportunity of resending after the original parcel never showed. I contacted them when the second one hadn't showed either, but over 45 days had passed, so no big surprise that they ignored me and made no further contact or attempt to rectify the situation. And as 45 days had passed, the opportunity for me to leave negative feedback had also passed. So just had to let that one go.

Edited by Alice

I might get some more from you myco, I'll send you a message about the last lot I got from you.

No worries I hope there wasn't any problems With the last lot I sent you

I expect people to tell me if there's any problems so I can correct it :)

I wouldn't open a paypal dispute for such an amount, I have heard of people having their linked accounts (credit card etc) frozen by paypal while the dispute continues. And you can't exactly call up paypal to argue with them. Just try finding a phone number or physical address, it's ridiculous. But clever of them, pricks.

It is easy to contact Paypal. When I log into my account I click on the contact us link where I am given a free call phone number that is answered right away by a customer service agent. They also have a decent live chat feature.

Hahaha

No worries I hope there wasn't any problems With the last lot I sent you

I expect people to tell me if there's any problems so I can correct it :)

No, no probs myco, it's all good mate.