The Corroboree
pete34

The Only Way to Stop Illegal Immigration

watch out for the cunning tricks the illegals will try to take over our cuntry, soon there'll be an army of anchor babies, if that day comes we're all fucked.

Edit: lets stay on topic, IMIGRANTZ IZ RUINZ MIENZ HAMBURGERZ

Sorry man... I forgot what we were talking about. :blush:

Pete had obviously stimulated my consciousness to such a degree with his insightful rhetoric that "I got lost".

OK Sorry, so what where we talking about...oh yeah, hamburgers. Now I remember.

Edited by space cadet 101
  • Like 2

Put it this way, if America was bombing the shit out of Australia and the Muslim minority was forcing everyone to obey some extremist laws that you strongly disagreed with, wouldn't you try to get your family out to somewhere where everyone who wasn't a redneck treated you with a modicum of respect and didn't want to kill you?

Try to empathise with these people, Pete, try to see where they are coming from and why, and then try to imagine what you would do in their situation.

• Like 6

Why so much anguish over those poor bastards coming here to escape from a life elsewhere which for many of them was a living hell ?

When they get here they integrate into society and life goes on for us as normal.

Why not focus on the contracted workers that Reinhart wants to import to circumvent Australian values and rights ?

I say if they are coming in & the status quo of the citizens that already live here stays in tact, then who really cares.

But if they are coming in with the specific purpose of undermining the values fought for by generations of trade unions then we'll all end up back in the dark ages before you know it.

Reinhart & the like are ushering in an age of corporate despotism that has the potential spiral out of control, why not try to stop that instead?

• Like 5

Put it this way, if America was bombing the shit out of Australia and the Muslim minority was forcing everyone to obey some extremist laws that you strongly disagreed with, wouldn't you try to get your family out to somewhere where everyone who wasn't a redneck treated you with a modicum of respect and didn't want to kill you?

Try to empathise with these people, Pete, try to see where they are coming from and why, and then try to imagine what you would do in their situation.

Well said whitewind...but I seriously wouldn't waste my breath mate.

I have to agree with eatfoo, I think pete is just trolling.

You naughty lil troll pete... :wink:

Edited by space cadet 101

i'm sure if the "christian majority" in australia were being routinely beheaded for no reason other than their faith they'd change their tune.

i'm sure if "middle australia" had their sons and daughters (babies too) executed for a propaganda war, they change their tune.

i'm sure if rape was used as a currency on "australian battlers", they'd change their tune.

if the "silent majority" had their suburbs razed to the ground because the neighbouring suburb shared a different point of view, they'd change their tune.

the media has a big role to play in the ignorance about asylum seekers, some of their "reporting" has be nothing but lies. daily telegraph and ACA/TT come immediately to mind. why people believe any shit coming out of them i'll never know.

Edited by qualia

If I was a genuine asylum seeker I'd try so damn hard to make it to a safe country. And I reckon I'd make it too, the only problem would be the wife and kids getting us caught.

Poor buggers. Give 'em a fair go, we have towns drying up all over this country.

That's so funny !!! I generally think the other way - my husband would slow me down !!! But that was when I was with my ex-husband. My current one and I would have no problems at all. And as for the kids, well of course that would be mine and my husband's responsibility and thus would be fine too. That's just the way we roll.

Edited by Chrissy Star

and watching the media and politicians play concern troll with asylum seeker deaths but then turning around and arguing for indefinite detention without charge really fucking shits me. and watching both leaders take that hackneyed sombre tone then acting like fucking two year olds makes me want to punch a wall.

• Like 3

pretty glad i never glanced at this thread until now until then i assumed the 'only way to stop illegal immigration' would be to make immigration easier, legal. i feel somewhat less-informed after seeing this. thanks pete.

• Like 4

@pete, You owe me a silver dollar! I don't believe what I see on the news. Pay up Aussie!!

@Bulls you might of won your bet to.

I doubt he is a man of his word thought, just a shit stirrer.

It looks like petes run away since Torsten has told him to fix his mistakes, I'm still waiting for my apology.

Be a man pete (are you over 18?) admit you let emotion get in the way of logic & say your sorry.

I thought the moderators made the rules & set the guild lines & I think they do a great job. Its sad to see people disrespect & ignore the people that keep this site running

• Like 2

I'm confused...I thought we were talking about hamburgers.

Does this thread really deserve the attention it's seeking.

We are all members of the human race...The End.

Pete: your people were immigrants at sometime too, and were seen as illegal by someone down the line. Besides this basic fallacy (since you're so into 'logic') you lack any basic compassion which conflicts with the peace and love crap you spout elsewhere, not to mention your neolib anti authoritarian views. You know very little about the topics you take on and offer ridiculously vapid solutions like 'lets turn the boats back' or 'poor countries should be better'. These statements are totally unhelpful and unintelligent. Your racist view that Australia should be kept for australians is countered by the entire history of the nation. If you want to vent your frustrations on immigrants, save it for the stormfront rally.

Illegal immigrants are people who have fled a shitty situation (created not by them but by states and capitalism), at great personal cost, to try to find a better one. If you can condemn trying to find a safe place to live and work you're a heartless prick.

• Like 8

The only way to stop illegal immigration? Make it legal

Apologies for the blatant cut and paste from a political party website, but the only current solution is a political one which the main parties are a bit loath to put forward but might support if it comes from a lesser party. I actually don't support an increased intake - we should take in all those who are currently waiting, yes, but the money should go towards diplomatic solutions to help prevent the problems in the first place. Whatever, it's got to be better than letting the poor fuckers drown.

28 Jun 2012

We need to take action immediately to save the lives of desperate people coming to us for protection. Our proposals would give desperate people across the region less reason to board dangerous boats and can be adopted immediately.

The Greens have brought forward proposals in the Senate to act immediately to save lives.

The amendments would give desperate people across the region less reason to board dangerous boats, and the Prime Minister and Opposition Leader can agree to move forward with this action to save lives and help people immediately, without legislation.

• Immediately increasing funding to the United Nations High Commission for Refugees by $10 million to boost the capacity to assess asylum applications;
  • Increasing Australia's humanitarian refugee intake to 20,000 a year and resettling 1,000 people from Indonesia and 4,000 people from Malaysia;
  • Codifying and abiding by our obligations to provide safety of life at sea; and
  • Immediately establishing a multi-party committee to develop a fair, safe and legal regional framework and enter discussions with the Indonesian Government.

What we should be doing today is bolstering protection for people in desperate situations, not undermining it. The last thing we should do is cast people back into danger under the pretence of acting in their best interests.

There are more than 8,000 desperate asylum seekers in Indonesia, and only two people - two - in the whole country employed by UNHCR to deal with their cases. UNHCR's annual budget in Indonesia is only $6 million, and has been cut since last year.

Australia needs to support UNHCR to do its vital work in Indonesia; that way, people seeking asylum will have a clear and safe pathway to resettlement in another country. Right now, the so-called 'queue' to be resettled from camps in Indonesia is 76 years long; clearly, the lack of hope in the current system is a major factor pushing people to board dangerous boats out of desperation and fear. An immediate increase in UNHCR funding of $10 million from Australia will increase their capacity to assess asylum applications.

Desperate people will always risk their lives in boats if they feel they have no other option. Australia only takes 60 people, on average, from Indonesia and Malaysia each year. If Australia announced today that we would take several thousand people from Indonesia and Malaysia, and gave a clear commitment that we will give them a safer pathway to a better life, there would immediately be far less pressure to get onto boats and risk their lives.

That's why the Greens are proposing an immediate increase in our annual humanitarian intake, and resettling 1,000 people from Indonesia and 4,000 people from Malaysia. Together, these bold steps for desperate people would give people languishing in camps or without legal protection a safe pathway to come to Australia.

Indonesia does not have the capacity to rescue people who flee into the seas to the north of Australia. Some of their ships are not able to withstand heavy seas - the most dangerous conditions for people seeking asylum by boat. Australia needs to make clear today, across all our services, that our obligations are to provide safety for life at sea.

Our ships must be clearly instructed to respond to people in distress as soon as their distress calls are detected, and not wait until they are in the water.

The Greens have been calling since the beginning of this debate for a mature, multi-party approach across the Parliament. We want to sit down with the Government and the Opposition to develop a real and effective regional solution, which is underpinned by the Refugee Convention relating to the Status of Refugees and the related 1967 Protocol.

• Like 2

incorrect

discussion about immigration is important man

I agree it's very important.

I got a cold shiver when our fed Labore gov told us recently that we needed the army to rapidly turn some islands above Australia into prison islands/concentration camp islands/detention centres.

Island prison camps built for Australia based on the obviously false premise which goes something like:

The "boat people" refugees (fixed :) )are a threat to us because:

• some are terrorists :wink:

• we don't like foreign types and a huge swathe of the Aussie populace seem to enjoy pretending they don't understand the simple fact that most of the huge ethnic enclaves that they hate in the suburbs are created by legal immigration.

A lot of people bought into the false hope that federal Labor would help us to address the spiritual damage the Libs inflicted on us with the "children overboard" scandal et al but it seems so politically uncool at the moment to be against racism, hence the cold sweat I experienced when they used the cover of the Olympic closing ceremony to tell us about the urgent need for prison islands to be built by the army in our name.

I think the idea of turning an island into a prison is abhorrent to anything good in our societies collective nature.

I don't think there is a real need to build the prisons but I think doing so will cause us real harm.

Edited by Sonny Jim
  • Like 1

Earthlings should be able to travel anywhere on Earth they want i would have thought... apparently not !

Edited by BentoSpawn
  • Like 2

I empathise with them, but the whole integration thing isn't that simple.

This is interesting:

http://www.immi.gov....ew-arrivals.pdf

Then you have the likes of Ayaan Hirsi Ali, Salman Rushdie, etc. expressing their concerns over unrestricted / open immigration policy in Western countries.

Edited by SYNeR