The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
cmori3

Subs.. in Brisbane? *photo*

Question

Found a bunch of these growing in my backyard. They reminded me of some pictures of 'subs' which seem to grow in melbourne around now, however I have never heard of these growing in Brisbane at this time in the year. I did a pinch test and was surprised when the stem got extensive dark purple bruising.

post-10436-0-45847000-1338866378_thumb.jpost-10436-0-69795600-1338866681_thumb.jpost-10436-0-38257800-1338866763_thumb.j

Anybody wanna shed some light on these little guys?

post-10436-0-45847000-1338866378_thumb.jpg

post-10436-0-69795600-1338866681_thumb.jpg

post-10436-0-38257800-1338866763_thumb.jpg

post-10436-0-45847000-1338866378_thumb.jpg

post-10436-0-69795600-1338866681_thumb.jpg

post-10436-0-38257800-1338866763_thumb.jpg

14 answers to this question

Unsure what they are but undoubtably definAtely not subs

Strange, why are they bruising if they are not a psilocybe species?

I thought that was purely a psilocybin thing.

They could possibly a panaeolus sp.. I'm very rusty on my mycology, alas one thing I can assure is that they are not subs.

I believe many types of funghi will turn blue on oxidisation, does not meanthat they are automatically psylocybe mushrooms.

If your interested I would do some reading.

Edited by incognito
  • Like 1

Hard to tell but probably a Hygrocybe spp. Not active. Sorry!

Interesting. Yeah there's a few species I've seen that look similar so I can't be certain what it is.

there is a poster on poisonous fungi of queensland, made by some state government department. it has been on display at grovely tafe for nearly a decade at least and where perhaps there should be a picture and description of a cube, instead it has a sub.

*shrugs*

• Like 1

What colour is the spore print?

Only the base of the stipe seems to be blue. Generally all parts of an active psilocybe will bruise blue.

yes there are blue bruising inactives, but according to Stamets at least (as of 1996) no known poisonous species both stained deep blue and had a dark purplish chocolate brown spore print.

Still -- if you have to ask the question, it worries me that you are asking it on the net with blurry photos and no spore print. Is there someone in Brisbane who could help this fellow in person?

• Like 1

^^^

Paul Stamet's "Magic Mushrooms of the World: an Identification Guide" (1996) is a great read, really thorough and informative .

He covers the blue-bruising thing and pretty much the lot. I'm not very experienced with IDing myself though, so I can't tell you what those might be.

Still -- if you have to ask the question, it worries me that you are asking it on the net with blurry photos and no spore print. Is there someone in Brisbane who could help this fellow in person?

i'm from brisbane and i see these mushrooms around quite a bit.

they aren't subs, and nor should anything found in brisbane be considered a sub, unless there is compelling evidence IMHO.

Pictures or at least a description of the colour of the spore prints are very important in identifying shooms. There are species that look very similar yet have different coloured spore prints. If you want to have any chance of having a reasonably accurate identification you will need to show a print.

If you want to show that there is a mushroom growing outside of its usual environment, then providing a lot of high quality evidence of the fact is even more important :)

Use a spore print, if it turns black blue then your sweet...definitely not a sub...id throw it away hholmes