The Corroboree
niggles

McDonalds to offer cash to musicians for in-song advertising.

McDonald's has offered to pay top hip hop artists to incorporate the 'Big Mac' into their song lyrics.

According to Advertising Age magazine, the fast food chain will pay rappers up to £2.80 ($5) every time a song namechecking the burger is played.

McDonald's said the US deal reflected the appeal of hip hop to young people.

However, critics said the tie-up was "deceptive" given that the songs would appeal to children, for whom obesity levels have become a major concern.

Food for thought

A whole string of products has enjoyed huge success in the United States after rappers started dropping brand names into songs - although not for marketing purposes but bling boasting.

Among the happy beneficiaries were brands like Courvoisier, Gucci, Dom Perignon, Bentley and Porsche.

Artists who have 'referenced' well-known products include Jay-Z, 50 Cent and Snoop Dogg.

Advertising Age said that McDonald's would not pay an artist upfront but that they would be rewarded based on the airplay songs received in the United States.

The company will have the final say over the appropriate lyrics but the singers will retain artistic control over how they are incorporated into the track.

McDonalds said the initiative was in line with its 2003 global marketing campaign aimed at 18-34 year olds, which launched the slogan 'I'm loving it'.

"Each McDonald's market has the freedom within the 'I'm lovin' it framework' to design programmes that best resonate with customers, in this case a McDonald's USA concept designed to reach young adults through their music of choice," said spokesman Walt Riker.

"How it develops remains to be seen."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/4389751.stm

I cant see Im a big hip hop fan, but this is fucked.

yo,

honkin on ma glass pipe smokin some crack,

my favorite crack addict food is a mcdonalds big mac

• Like 5

let them eat big macs

let them eat big macs

thats £2.80 McDonalds owes you.

Oh wait you gotta get on the radio first.

Dammit! I bin singin' little red rooster for free all this time? shit!

• Like 1

There was a catchy song doing the rounds on triple J just a few months ago that dropped Starbucks in the very first line of the song.

Something like this...

"You and I buy Starbucks abd drive around all night"

I seriously wondered if it was product placement. Wish i could remember how the song goes now.

Anyone else remember it? Starbucks are pretty notorious for product placement.

Edited by Halcyon Daze

EDIT: I WAS WRONG!

He says You and I buy star maps, it's written on the typewriter...

Shame...

But you can see how easily they could have made dirty cash out of this!

Maybe Star Maps bought him lunch. lol

Edited by Halcyon Daze
  • Like 1

Normally I'd be all like "well if McDs and some 10th rate musician want to spoil their names, then I say go for it." - but I have the strong feeling that nothing would get spoiled, unless you count how sour I feel about stupid sheeple taking over the planet.

Jeepers...

can i just ask what it that snoop was selling in that vid?

not that i'm saying he's not a sellout, and not that i'm saying being a sellout is necessarily a bad thing,

exploiting idiots is an art that has a fine tradition throughout the ages,

edit: that is to say being a sellout fits perfectly with his hustler ethos, so i guess, he's not a sellout at all.....

Edited by qualia

Last Updated: Tuesday, 29 March 2005, 11:27 GMT 12:27 UK o.gif

But still amusing :P

haha that burger rap, EXTRA CHEESY!

an alcoholic mate of mine used to be obsessed with that video and would watch it constantly and show multiple people

i dont really seem him much any more...

My price would be 500k. For 500k I would have McDonald's tattood across my ass. Actually I would do it for 50k if I couldn't get my price higher. Within the minute.

OR I will become a famous rapper.

A one hit wonder and Im a retire in nam.

Dr.Dre if your reading please pm me.

Or McDonalds. Preferably both.

Dont be hatin'

And back off snoop dogg. My best ever lucid dream involved snoop jumping over my back fence to escape the cops and asking if I wanted to get high and rolling ME an awesome blunt explaining the whole way how to roll a blunt with all the snoop dogg twang and slang.

Awesome artist and performer if u ask me.

Must be a great businessman as well and OR we'll managed. Jeez guys dont be hating on snoop sheesh. That's like bagging jOhnny cash or Hendrix.

Edited by incognito

Dont be hatin'

And back off snoop dogg. My best ever lucid dream involved snoop jumping over my back fence to escape the cops and asking if I wanted to get high and rolling ME an awesome blunt explaining the whole way how to roll a blunt with all the snoop dogg twang and slang.

Awesome artist and performer if u ask me.

Must be a great businessman as well and OR we'll managed. Jeez guys dont be hating on snoop sheesh. That's like bagging jOhnny cash or Hendrix.

hahaha rolling blunts with the big dog.

My friend had a dream where the whole Oh Sookie song he does above was about her and she was wooed to say the least.

Im seeing a giant M on slash's hat.

Have you heard many recent interviews with slash? He comes across as a very likeable, Polite, knowledgeable, worldly human being. No shite.

It may just be me, but every Starbucks coffee I've ever had has tastes like shit. And I always order the biggest mofo coffee o ne can buy, and I've been lumped with a giant, hot shit coffee that I have to dump somewhere.

I've been rorted three times now, I. Never going back. Coffee is my drug of choice.

I would like to endorse the bills beans franchise. That's an awesome coffee. I'd do a couple of hours a week there for free just to learn about coffee and to make something that is quite honestly better than heroin. I'm sure if u google them ( bills beans) u will get what I'm talking about.

Bills beans please get in touch If u like the feel of that. The feeling is mutual.

AND our local Bills beans (an hr away) has THE most spunkyest and nicest young ladys and gents working the coffee machines. Fo'shizzle!

My fab snoop dogg song is the one he did with the neptunes? Smoke with me? Fucking awesome song with good speakers for a Sesh. Can't post a utube link from my phone :(

Edited by incognito

And while we're talking coffee franchises, the Gloria Jeans operation is affiliated with the Hillsong youth cult.

Support your local indy coffee shops, people ! Corporate, homogenized cafe culture is for pimply little girls in short shorts who listen to Lady GooGoo (or Brian Houston)