The Corroboree
myco

loph with spines

:) cool i thought the pics might help give ya a look at how small you can graft em

haha dont worry i planted some of my peres upside down to hahaha

some if it was fine and actually grew roots

some of it just didnt do anything and the ends in the soil just started to rot :)

Hehe - glad to know I'm not the only one... Yep, there's definately half a dozen that are ready to go. The peres isn't doing too well, I might have to check that out. Might try grafting onto the top of one of tripsis's little beauties though. Will let you know how I go, if they take I'll be so excited you won't be able to shut me up...

• Like 1

Grafting small seedlings onto trich's is not as easy as grafting onto pere. The only way I had success was to graft onto very small pups. You might have more luck on trich seedlings but you would need to cut them right on the tip ie the new growth

Have a look through this thread http://www.shaman-au...pic=29622&st=75 you might find it interesting as most tried to graft as early as possible I think from memory my first ones were done at 9 days from sowing.

The one of mine that was grafted straight onto a pach failed the one on the pups all took really well.

Myco

This one is a bit like yours

post-4489-0-41068200-1336723639_thumb.jp

Cheers

Got

post-4489-0-41068200-1336723639_thumb.jpg

post-4489-0-41068200-1336723639_thumb.jpg

looks very similar got :)

funny thing when i glanced at the pup that emerged from the bottom of my first loph graft today

i noticed it also has spines :scratchhead:

you can actually see them in the pics i posted not long ago i didnt even notice at the time of taking the pictures

http://www.shaman-australis.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=29755&st=25

the grafted portion of it doesnt at all have spikes even its little tufts are very very small pretty much just spots not even tufts

Thanks Got - I'll check out that thread. I also have quite a few trichs grown from seed, some slightly bigger than others, but most smaller than a tic-tac. I wondered about doing the chop on those: seedling LW onto seedling trich... I'm keen as mustard to have a go - I think i'll find my healthiest looking peres and give it the chop tonight (and hope it has roots), might just try all 3 methods: LW on peres, LW on 'tip of little finger' size trich, LW on seedling trich.

I have some extra LW seed to plant tonight too so if i bugger it up (more than likely) I'll have some more to play with soon, keep forgetting to do it! Working late tonight... tick tock tick tock...

i grow my all my peres in a couple of big long pots

and i pull them out and repot to graft to them

so you could always pull some bits out to see if they have roots and replant them before you graft

ive never had a problem even doing it straight away

IndianDreaming there is a pinned topic in this forum (cacti) where you can download a great little grafting book written by one of the members here and also have a look at this video that Watertrade did a little while ago. Both of should of some help.

Cheers

Got

Rippa! I read the grafting comp thread at work whilst working hard... :innocent_n: Man thats some awesome work! I'll read the others and watch the flick.

Here's my peres, which has been in this pot for 3 weeks, it hasn't seemed to change at all, it looked like that when i got it. And my fat little LW, which is pink...? The the LW's have been in a humidity tent outside under the verandah, but it does get some direct light in the arvo, so i'm figuring they're not liking so much light and have gone pink?

post-11189-0-90567100-1336738841_thumb.jpost-11189-0-34353000-1336738995_thumb.j

I've also got these others - A mate had them and gave them to me, he said: "They're LW, I got them off a mate" but they were in a bag that was labelled 'Pachanoi' - So i have no idea which they are, and neither does he. At what stage can you tell? They do look greener and different than all my pach seedlings (which are all pink too), and the pach seedlings seem to have spikier heads... Is it too early to identify them?

post-11189-0-59571400-1336739485_thumb.j

post-11189-0-90567100-1336738841_thumb.jpg

post-11189-0-34353000-1336738995_thumb.jpg

post-11189-0-59571400-1336739485_thumb.jpg

post-11189-0-90567100-1336738841_thumb.jpg

post-11189-0-34353000-1336738995_thumb.jpg

post-11189-0-59571400-1336739485_thumb.jpg

First try! How exciting... now the waiting begins... I can't find my camera - this phone pic is the best i can manage at the moment.

post-11189-0-69940700-1336741529_thumb.j

post-11189-0-69940700-1336741529_thumb.jpg

post-11189-0-69940700-1336741529_thumb.jpg

just a post regarding 2deeps parentage... when I ordered seeds ofa tipz i only received one package, i just went back through old pms to tipz and i honestly cannot recall how many seeds i received, but it was definitely only one package. I was receiving a crazy amount of seed at the time from very generous members here at the time, so unless I thought the extra package was from somebody else, im honestly not sure...

looking at the seed I have sown from tipz they are all 100% loph, not a single trich around them.... 2deep, you may have received seeds from me that were from another source, not tipz as like i said, i was receiving 2 packages a day of cactus seed for 2 weeks during that period... I am assuming it is highly possible I passed onto you seeds that were originally mislabeled by tipz, that i received from a different member... I havent sown these seeds yet, only the lophs from tipz...

I know this doesnt solve anything RE parentage, i just wanted to let you know what my situation was at the time all this seed was getting thrown around...

d00d

I've also got these others - A mate had them and gave them to me, he said: "They're LW, I got them off a mate" but they were in a bag that was labelled 'Pachanoi' - So i have no idea which they are, and neither does he. At what stage can you tell? They do look greener and different than all my pach seedlings (which are all pink too), and the pach seedlings seem to have spikier heads... Is it too early to identify them?

post-11189-0-59571400-1336739485_thumb.j

By there appearance they are not Lophs. More likely - pachanois.

P.S. - Dont know the reason to graft Lophs. They are mature and big on their own roots in two years, grown in the right

conditions.

Edited by BBGONE

I have seen a lot of photos of loph's that have grown to 50mm in four years and flowering. I have also seen photos of loph's grafted onto pere flowering after 12 months

If a noob grafting hack like myself can get a loph to grow to 40mm plus push out a pup in six months from when the seeds were sown I can see plenty of reasons to graft loph's :)

Cheers

Got

• Like 1

Yep - Just hedging my bets, trying a bit of everything to see what works. So far watching the seedlings grow is fun but patient work, if i can give a few a little boost and get to see my first flowers I'll be stoked. I think I'll leave most on their roots for the long haul though. Anyone got a 20+ year old Loph grown on it's own roots? Pics?

@ IndianDreaming,

keep posting your results as I'm very interested as I also have some of tripsis little beauties & some 3week old lophs & have been thing about doing the same thing.

Also has anyone tried to graft the roots that are left from there little seedlings??

Cheers jox

I have seen a lot of photos of loph's that have grown to 50mm in four years and flowering. I have also seen photos of loph's grafted onto pere flowering after 12 months

If a noob grafting hack like myself can get a loph to grow to 40mm plus push out a pup in six months from when the seeds were sown I can see plenty of reasons to graft loph's :)

Cheers

Got

I saw Lophs. grown on their roots under lamps and fertilizing them reach 50 mm in 18 months.

They flowered after 14 months.

See my post http://www.shaman-au...showtopic=31895

The author reports, that after 2 years they are fully mature.

He grows them all year round, without wintering, and they periodically flower and give fruits with the viable seeds.

Edited by BBGONE

@Jox - No worries. Here's the first 2 attempts - LW.Caespitosa / Pachanoi x Psycho0 is the first one. LW.Huizache / Pachanoi x Psycho0 is the second.

post-11189-0-10210800-1336907314_thumb.jpost-11189-0-92162700-1336907322_thumb.j

They're so cute, it's hard to chop their little heads off... :blink:

post-11189-0-10210800-1336907314_thumb.jpg

post-11189-0-92162700-1336907322_thumb.jpg

post-11189-0-10210800-1336907314_thumb.jpg

post-11189-0-92162700-1336907322_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Yeah, cutting their heads off is harsh, but temper it with the thought that you're giving them bionic legs... Unless you fuck it up, in which case they'll shrivel and die. Lol.

• Like 1

@ IndianDreaming, they look good :).

has anyone grafted roots!

Indian Dreaming, you should think about cutting of the edges including the Areoles on your stocks as you might run into problems when the skin dries out. Havent lost a graft since i started doing that.

Yeah, have grafted roots, but you need an areole on it, else it doesn't do anything. I've got one going at the moment in fact... Pics to come later. (yeah, I know I say that a bit, I'll get some soon)

@Evil - Thanks, I'll give that a go on the next few. I've seen people doing that on the bigger ones. Hopefully i've left enough room that the edges won't interfere.

Can you graft onto the areoles sites? If I had a 1ft stock and a few 1cm LW's could I graft them around the sides? (...Indian dreams about the day his little LW's grow to 1cm+... :P ) (with bionic legs that might be quicker than expected...)

Edited by IndianDreaming

EG, I saw a friend do that with a largish pachanot also. He stuck a short row of riomizquiensis and scop seedlings down one side of it's tip and they took off. Its a really cool approach for jump starting seedlings and not dealing with glochids. Pereskiopsis does pump out the graft growth faster though.

Cheers

Got

My Pereskiopsis grafted lophos flower in average after 3-4 months.