The Corroboree
myco

loph with spines

so i got a bunch of lophs a few days ago from another great member :)

a few are labelled and a few are labelled as mix

one of wich has spines on it i've been doing some research

and as far as i can tell jourdianna is the only loph wich has spines

is this true or have i not done enough reading ?

sorry no pics i can take some if it helps :)

oi myco....some of the exact lophs i think you are referring to of mine also have the craziest spination i have ever seen, so much so they were actually making me question wether they were lophs....i also came to the conclusion they must be jourdiana if they are lophs, and may even be the columar ones that whisperz had the other day! Youve just helped cement my thoughts....mine were also the mixung or 'mixed' variety. All of these original came in one order from one member on here from one reputable trader in Germany i beleive!

Ill take some pics tomrorow....out of the 6 i put on pere, 4 of them have crazp spines (way crazier than most tricho seedlings), and the other 2 are still going bonkers...for a man who turned his hand to grafting litte more than 6 months ago, my lophs love me.

EDIT: Show me yours and ill show you mine ;)

Edited by 2Deep2Handle
  • Like 2

yeh i know where those seeds came from :)

i was thinking the ones marked mix may have been seed come from that same vendor

i probly should check with the person i got them from and see if he can tell me where the seed came from

if he even grew it from seed himself im pretty sure he did

from everything i have read it seems jourds are the only lophs wich have spines

are you saying it could be a turbincarpus cross?

that was the only other thing other than a jourd i had read about lophs with spines

or do you just mean it could be crossed literally with anything ?

do you just mean it could be crossed literally with anything ?

Bingo!

mixed means mixed. :wink:

Read Michaels post in the linked thread.

What do you guys make of these?

wtf.JPG

pereskopsis-grafts.jpg

grafted-peres-lophs.jpg

wow they are crazy 2deep im not sure if mine looked anything like this when it was smaller

at the moment mine looks fairly normal but has a couple of very short white spines coming out

should be very interesting to see wat yours look like as they get larger

ill stick up a pic of mine tommorow :)

Edited by myco

Nice grafts 2Deep

Did they start out like the small one in the first pic. Very strange I have had spiney ones but not like that they have trich spines :scratchhead:

Cheers

Got

so when you buy a bag of 'mixed' loph seeds, are they a mix of cross bred loph genera cactus plants, or a 'mix' of most anything?

how would anybody know what it is you have growing?

sure will be interesting to see what develops from your grafts 2Deep.

Nice job btw!

I'd think the seed's labelling was mixed up rather than the seedlot mixed or else the mix was seeds other than lophos. It will be interesting to see them grow larger but I'm curious why Lophophora was believed to be a part of the parentage?

Nice grafts.

Edited by trucha

2deep, I can explain what happened here mate.

two people here recieved a pack each of in excess of 500 seeds sent accidentally instead of the promised pack of 100 'LW mischung'.

what happened was whilst counting out seeds for about twenty large orders I spilt both the loph mischung and trich mischung ( mischung meaning mixed ) and they all mixed together. I accidentally sent those on as well as the promised packs of 100 LW's, so you would have recieved 2 packages instead of just the one you were expecting.

I have been trying in vain to UTSE to find a post i put up trying to inform the recipients of what had occurred. Mainly so the seed was not traded further and disseminated through the community incorrectly labelled. ( i kind of thought if a member was expecting 100 LW seeds as a giveaway ( i think it was a freebie ) ) and recieved two seperate envelopes.... one labelled LW - with a hundred + seeds inside and then a seperate extra envelope unlabelled with over 500 seeds they may have said something. Im sure if i keep digging i will find the said post.

Anyway, I am now certain you were one of those recipients.

So what you have there are unidentified tricho's ( mischung from kohres ) and the mixed lophs from the same vendor.

Sorry about the mixup.... but i did attempt to notify whomever it was. At the time i was sending out so much seed i i kind of lost track of who got what.

anyway, It is good to see some of the seed I have sent on doing well. You must have a fair collection of seedlings now :wink:

(edit) - can anyone recall the post im talking about ? i cant find it :BANGHEAD2:

Edited by tipz

the labelling wasnt mixed up and they are'nt a mix of different cacti seed

the seeds are a mixed L. Williamsii seed from a reputable vendor that is wat they are sold as

ahhh that explans that tipz hahaha

i thought those things looked a bit to trich like the spines are huge :)

2deep, I can explain what happened here mate.

two people here recieved a pack each of in excess of 500 seeds sent accidentally instead of the promised pack of 100 'LW mischung'.

what happened was whilst counting out seeds for about twenty large orders I spilt both the loph mischung and trich mischung ( mischung meaning mixed ) and they all mixed together. I accidentally sent those on as well as the promised packs of 100 LW's, so you would have recieved 2 packages instead of just the one you were expecting.

I have been trying in vain to UTSE to find a post i put up trying to inform the recipients of what had occurred. Mainly so the seed was not traded further and disseminated through the community incorrectly labelled. ( i kind of thought if a member was expecting 100 LW seeds as a giveaway ( i think it was a freebie ) ) and recieved two seperate envelopes.... one labelled LW - with a hundred + seeds inside and then a seperate extra envelope unlabelled with over 500 seeds they may have said something. Im sure if i keep digging i will find the said post.

Anyway, I am now certain you were one of those recipients.

So what you have there are unidentified tricho's ( mischung from kohres ) and the mixed lophs from the same vendor.

Sorry about the mixup.... but i did attempt to notify whomever it was. At the time i was sending out so much seed i i kind of lost track of who got what.

anyway, It is good to see some of the seed I have sent on doing well. You must have a fair collection of seedlings now :wink:

(edit) - can anyone recall the post im talking about ? i cant find it :BANGHEAD2:

I got you man:

http://www.shaman-australis.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=30135&st=0&p=337689entry337689

hey myco,

that being the case, were the mixed loph seed I got from u lophs or trichs?

the seed came either direct from you tipz....100 from myco *(they havent gone down yet)....25 from entity (a couple grew) and about 40 from doodabides.....was doodabides the one u were thinking of tipz? i would lvoe to get to the bottom of this....as i didnt actually plant that many this season....only really lophs..or what i thought were lophs anyway...

I thought they may have loph parentage, as thats what they were given to me as, and so far ive had no reason to beleive any of the seeds ive been sent were not what they were stated until now :(

EDIT: and 25 from Texacana too....

EDIT: Now i have to try and find out if all my loph seed are actually little lophs or not :(

EDIT: one time i think cactuscarl sent me some, and you re-sent them? as something went wrong on his side of things? with posties getting em all or something>?

I never received 2 parcels within a month of each other i couldnt identify though...i wouldhave said thanks for the extras if that were the case ;)

All good....will be interesting to see what the become, but im now slightly cut that i only have 2 lophs in my collection now :( one little 2cm lw on his own legs, and my graft in the grafting comp pics that is about 1.3cm now!

I need a heat mat to get sowing

Edited by 2Deep2Handle

None of wat I sold was the seed with trich seed in it

I never got any 500 paks from tips

all the seed I sold was definately the L. Williamsii mix seed :)

• Like 2

Looking at your pics - What are the blobs in between the scion and the peres? I haven't done a graft yet - I have some peres from cuttings that I'm waiting to take root - and some LW planted from seed that I'm waiting to be big enough to try. Looks like a little brown bead or blob on the first pic - especially noticable in the bottom right? Is that a 'scab' form the graft that happens when it 'takes'?

Looking at your pics - What are the blobs in between the scion and the peres? I haven't done a graft yet - I have some peres from cuttings that I'm waiting to take root - and some LW planted from seed that I'm waiting to be big enough to try. Looks like a little brown bead or blob on the first pic - especially noticable in the bottom right? Is that a 'scab' form the graft that happens when it 'takes'?

when you first graft them they get stressed and change to a dark red brown colour... then the bottom part of the graft seems to keep that colour well at least that is what i have noticed with the one graft i have done xD

They won't always change color like that I've got plenty I've done which were done from seedlings no more than 2 weeks old

And probly no bigger than a mm and they have kept their green color :)

I have had ones go that colour though so i guess it just depends how stressed it gets

Oh really! So my LWs that I have already, that are just a little bit smaller than a tic-tac could be grafted now?! Some of them actually look like a fat grain of rice, but a little shorter - the largest I have would be about 5mm across... I was under the impression that they had to be about the same diameter as the peres?

On another note - I bought some cacti from tripsis (thanks m8 they're awesome) that are about the size of my thumb, and have roots already and are doing well (Pach's - Psycho0's and all sorts) - if my LW's are 3-5mm - can i just whip the top of one of those and graft away?! (I'm containing my excitment, if i can do it now, I'm leaving work and heading straight for my garden!)

yup you shouldnt have any problems with grafting them :)

heres some of mine some of these are about a month old to so they were even smaller when grafted

gallery_7473_420_45112.jpg

gallery_7473_420_28072.jpg

• Like 3

so here is the loph in question guys wat do you think ?

gallery_7473_420_583984.jpg

gallery_7473_420_23883.jpg

• Like 2

OMG! :o

Well I know what I'll be doing all weekend!!! Thanks for the pics - very helpful. Nice loph myco! No idea about your original question though, as may be gleamed from the above, I'm a newb to cacti :) I did learn the hard way though, that peres spines are !@#$'ng ouch! Also, looking at your pics - I may have planted some of my peres upside down... :blink: