The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Zen Peddler

Is it normal to feel mild euphoria from coffee?

Normal is pretty hard to define but I can't say I've ever felt it. Neither has anyone I know, unless they don't recognise or don't talk about it..

How stronger coffee you have? I have mine 2 heaped coffee and 3 sugar, can't say I get euphoric off it, could be because I'm zombied out whenever I'm drinking them lol

I just assumed mild euphoria was one of the effects of a strong dose of caffeine.. but I imagine maybe it is more noticeable the less frequently you drink it.

• Like 1

i thought thats why people drank it? i always get a bit pepped up when i drink coffee. if i've had a strong one, i definitely feel a mild euphoria, nervous energy.

agree with chilli that i'm sure if you drank it everyday it would cease to have these effects. moderation everyone! we don't want no coffee heads out there wrecking the place!

• Like 1

Yes thats normal. Coffeine blocks the intake of adenosine in the brain what leads to an additional production of Adrenaline and dopamine.

• Like 1

My first thought was "isn't that why everyone drinks it?"

I don't drink coffee, but I do feel euphoria from green tea (tyrosine enhances it, normal serotonin levels ensure it's less edgy)...I take breaks from tea periodically, otherwise it loses its magic :)

Probably different people define euphoria differently

• Like 1

"Buzzed", sure. That's the caffeine hyping me up slightly but that's about it. Even on large doses of pure caffeine I don't feel euphoria. Might just be me :P

I've been euphoric from stupid/epic doses of caffeine when I was younger, compressing a sentence into each word so no-one could understand me, not that it mattered to me whether they could understand me or not, I FELT FUCKING AWESOME.

Then after I came down every single sensation all over my body caused my head to hurt. Every foot step gave me a headache...

I only did it a few more times after that till I stopped.

Never got euphoria from any other dose besides extremely reckless doses that i wouldn't recommend.

I've been euphoric from stupid/epic doses of caffeine when I was younger, compressing a sentence into each word so no-one could understand me, not that it mattered to me whether they could understand me or not, I FELT FUCKING AWESOME.

Then after I came down every single sensation all over my body caused my head to hurt. Every foot step gave me a headache...

I only did it a few more times after that till I stopped.

Never got euphoria from any other dose besides extremely reckless doses that i wouldn't recommend.

Curious, how much are we talking? 5g? More?

Im talking a very strong iced coffee but i even get it from tea or normal coffee. I wonder whether its because i have such bad hypotension at the moment that it just makes me feel better. That or ive got fuck all dopamine and its the only time it comes on?

Are there dopamine precursors one can injest?

So i take if caffeine shoots of the dopamine and adrenalin but the adrenalin stays on after the dopamine wears off? And serotonin modulates the strength of any comedown edgeiness?

Since ive been on acetylcholinesterase inhibitors ive found I can much better tolerate caffeine for what ever reason. Weird...

As a kid we did reckless doses of berocca. having ten is actually quite a bad idea. Our hearts all felt weird.

Edited by Zen Peddler BlueGreenie

10 berocca? crikey mate that's a might amount of b vitamins. i can't be sure about a definite answer to your question, but i do know caffeine like any other drug causes an almost incomprehensibly complex cascade of electrochemical activity in the brain, i'd be wary of attributing it's effects to any one particular mechanism

Are there dopamine precursors one can injest?

You mean tyrosine??

some old quotes from this forum:

Stims flood the synapse with dopamine and adrenaline and provided you have plenty reserves of both you will get euphoria. however, if dopamine is a little low then the euphoria can easily tilt towards anxiety and aggression. Having high serotonin levels at this point would counteract the anxiety somewhat and the aggression greatly.

[ http://www.shaman-australis.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=20854 ]

&

jitters from coffee is due to an imbalance of adrenaline and dopamine. ie, if you don't release enough dopamine then the adrenaline makes you jittery, however if you release both then you get energy or even euphoria.

So, when you got a new job with higher pay and your life was looking good you would have had a massive increase in dopamine release. Hence, when you drink coffee you now get the energy/euphoria rather than the jitters. Just watch out if you ever lose the job or if life starts stressing you out, you might find your jitters returning.

salviador recently posted about how tyrosine turned his caffeine jitters into euphoria. it's a simple concept, but not well known.

[ http://www.shaman-australis.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=10294 ]

Out of context but I think it's obvious what's being referred to

So for me, most of the time, a little day to day euphoria = tyrosine + a triple strength green tea (has theanine also)...every now and then I drop a little GABA into the tea. (for some reason GABA tastes like pineapple to me?!) However, there was a period where I stopped responding to any caffeine at all, despite breaks, was really depressed & fatigued (relapse), etc. I couldn't understand why that was happening, so I bought No-Doz for the first time to try to figure it out- still nothing....took high dose EPA/DHA for a few weeks, and all the dopamine stuff returned to normal. I've mentioned this before, but thought I'd offer it again for other people with dopamine-based depression.

Curious, how much are we talking? 5g? More?

2x 10 teaspoons of instant when i was 16

so, maybe 1.6 grams to someone who barely has any tolerence to caffeine.

5 g of caffeine is a toxic dose and is approaching a fatal dose depending on body chemistry.

1.5-2.0 g of caffeine is still pretty bad. Back when I was a teen I took doses around that mark and experience pronounced euphoria and auditory and tactile hallucinations.

Stick to the 80-300 mg range for best results. I get mild euphoria from a really nice espresso or two especially if it is an afternoon one.

Edited by mira

I think I read on erowid that 600-800mg is an OD level of caffeine?

Ive certainly topped that over the course of a day, my body can't really handle any more then about 250mg at a time.

:edit:Looks like the dosage entry has been changed, I read that a good 4-5 years ago but here's what they got now:

Oral Caffeine Dosages

Threshold 10 - 20 mg Common 50 - 150 mg Strong 150 - 400 mg Heavy 400 + mg Lethal 3-20 grams oral (estimated, see below) LD50 (Lethal Dose*) 192 mg/kg in rats Onset : 5 - 10 minutes

Duration : 1.5 - 5 hours

Normal After Effects : up to 24 hours

Edited by Jonstn

I like caffeine but i hate the crash. I can drink a fair bit of it now im on new medication by i still find that I crash from it and feel worse than before i had it LOL

Speaking of overdosing: hxxp://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/banker-kills-himself-with-caffeine-pills-755004

Average 81 kg male has ~5 L of blood so 367 mg/L means 1.8 g of absorbed caffeine. My pharmacology isn't that great so I don't know how much caffeine you'd have to take to hit that blood concentration.

My "Oops, I filled this capsule a little too much" dose is around 1.5-2g and that's as much as I'd go. It's a very brutal up with a very quick but equally brutal down-to-just-above-where-I-started.

i was going to suggest that you check your blood pressure but it seems from your response that you have hypertension. I also have hypertension resulting from a damaged kidney. The damage stimulates some nerve that releases adrenaline. If I don't take medication I end up wound and tingleing all over with adrenaline. Caffine does the same so I have given it away. Can't see the point in taking caffine to raise my blood pressure then medication to lower it again.

Edit. Changed hypotension (low blood pressure) to hypertension (high blood pressure).

Edited by rahli

Totally normal - you are no more retarded than most of us (in this instance anyway :P). It's why caffeine fuels most of us every day!

I nearly always get the high, especially from a well-made espresso-based cup. Pretty much no come down too. However, too much makes me clammy and smelly and too little gives painful headaches!

I've become a total addict in 2 yrs, going from none at all to a minimum of 2-3 each day.

i'm surprised you didn't know about tyrosine zen considereing all of the threads here about it and your constant questions about energy, coffee, stimulants, etc. i can't recommend tyrosine enough, as long as one looks into tryptophan as well because half a week on only tyrosine and i have trouble sleeping.

there is always l-dopa which sounds even sketchier than 5htp for serotonin. something i will look into one day.

anyone heard of shroomtech?

I know about tyrosine but I am concerned it will mess with norepinephrine levels more than anything else. was hoping instead for a mystical dopamine receptor agonist :)

The adrenalin thing with hypotension is weird - I know what you mean. Caffeine seems to boost the BP but then when it drops again your left with extra adrenalin and lower BP once again. Im hoping to find something that keeps my BP up for longer and gives me dopamine for longer. Adderall??

best thing ive ever tried for hypotension is acetylcholinesterase inhibitors but they have the side effect of fatigue :(

• Like 1