The Corroboree
niggles

Poll: Whos a vegetarian?

POLL: Who's a vegetarian?  

73 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Its a question dude your answer cant be "GOD" ;) and it was just to provoke thought ??

Who are you to wave your finger?

Ya' must have been out your head.

Eye hole deep in muddy waters.

You practically raised the dead.

society dictates that when one purchases a can (or bottle) of Coca Cola (enjoy) with their or a known associates name on it, one takes a photo of said product and uploads this photo to facebook, tagging any appropriate people in the process.

i dont do that, i dont even drink coke (can you believe it?!) but even if i did i wouldn't follow the other steps (OMFG HE MUST BE CRAZY!!!)

similarly, i also dont talk about "god" like "god(/he)" exists in such a socially accepted way, i choose not to perpetuate social norms and pseudo-truths.

you may do as you please

• Like 1

Speaking of carnivorous animals, it is possible and not harmful to raise cats and dogs on a completely vegetarian diet. Actually, one of the longest living dogs in the world was raised on a completely vegetarian diet!

Here is some info for those thinking of doing it:

http://www.peta.org/living/companion-animals/vegetarian-cats-and-dogs.aspx

Thinking of this for when we get a dog, as some studies have found that a medium sized dog leaves a bigger carbon footprint than an SUV.. I am assuming because of the large amount of processed meat they are commonly fed.

• Like 1

I have been killing animals since I was 4 I think. Not for cruelty, infact the opposite. To feed carnivors under rehabilitation. I was always taught to do it with respect for the animal. Quickly and painlessly or not at all. Hunting rabbits from ike 10 and eaten many, the rest were fed to carnivors. cats and foxes to save our native animals, rats to save my plants, a .22 with rat shot and a torche strapped to the gun works wonders :wink: If they r in the torche beam, they are also within the pellet spread. I've gutted more animals of more species than I'd care to think, lab bred rats smell the worst. I went for the longest period where I only ate fish I caught myself, but now stick to locally line caught sustainable species. free range chicken, freerange eggs, free range bacon, lamb and beef. But I am living in an area rich with this produce, infact I don't eat lamb, but have just been given a frezer full of free range lamb, so guess I am eating lamb for this month. Can't let a life perish for nothing.

Love you naja!

The more i find out about you the more awesome you are

• Like 1

Yeah, I'm vegetarian. I'm not an extremist about though. I mean, if I have to choice between vegetarian and normal cheese, then I'd go for the vegetarian. But I wouldn't go without cheese because it wasn't vegetarian, I just don't eat meat. Basically because it's healthier, the way they treat animals in the commercial meat industry is inhumane and there simply is no reason to eat meat, you can easily get everything you need from other sources.

Have been, wish I still could but my iron and b12 levels shot to the shit. 

It really is a complete myth that you can't get enough iron from other sources, other than meat. Curry for example usually has 50mg to 100 grams, compared to the 3mg to 100 grams you would usually find in red meat. Even weet-bix or kellogg's breakfast cereals have 25% of your RDI of iron per serve, you just should be taking in heaps of vitamin C to help it absorb.

It's just a matter or me finding some good recipies to stick to.

I have found there really isn't any recipe you can't make by simply incorporating some good quality tofu instead of meat. Seriously, I make things like stroganoff, spaghetti bolognese and stir fries (which were some of my favourite foods before I became vegetarian) and they taste just as good with a good quality tofu instead of meat.

I want to start looking into Indian meals eventually, since it's like a country of over a billion people, the majority being vegetarian. So I guess they'd probably have a clue how to cook up a decent vegetarian meal, right?

Peace

Edited by jabez

Saw this on google news just after posting in this thread:

"The group planned the covert operation together, deciding where the workers would place pinhole cameras inside the abattoir to capture the beatings, the botched stunnings, and the hung animals - writhing in pain as they bled out.

...their video, broadcast first on ABC's Lateline on Thursday, showed sickening cruelty at the hands of abattoir workers, and pushed the state government to announce a review of the operations of all abattoirs in NSW."

http://media.smh.com.au/news/national-news/hiddencamera-reveals-animal-cruelty-at-sydney-abbatoir-2996390.html

I want to start looking into Indian meals eventually, since it's like a country of over a billion people, the majority being vegetarian. So I guess they'd probably have a clue how to cook up a decent vegetarian meal, right?

pretty much, daal is one of the easiest and cheapest meals you can make, dosa are fucking delicious and can provide an important source of protein for a non-meat eater. don't quote me but i think urad daal has the highest protein content of all the daals. chaana daal has been shown to actually reduce the effects of type 2 diabetes, let alone preventing it outright. even meat eaters should eat more legumes.

We have recently made a bird trap, and are catching Indian Myna to eat.

We have recently made a bird trap, and are catching Indian Myna to eat.

Watch out for the parasite nasties

abandoned

Edited by dworx

abandoned

Edited by dworx
  • Like 2

i was thinking of starting the no death diet where you cant eat anything you kill. So no meat, root vegetables, only leaves and fruit off plants that dont die as a consequence of your consumption. Some wanker will think its a great idea. Certainly a good karma cleanse

• Like 1

It really is a complete myth that you can't get enough iron from other sources, other than meat. Curry for example usually has 50mg to 100 grams, compared to the 3mg to 100 grams you would usually find in red meat. Even weet-bix or kellogg's breakfast cereals have 25% of your RDI of iron per serve, you just should be taking in heaps of vitamin C to help it absorb.

Funny you say that, I thought the same until I saw my iron levels after 6 months with no meat.

what about bread & yoghurt ?

micro-organisms are people too.

• Like 3

i was thinking of starting the no death diet where you cant eat anything you kill. So no meat, root vegetables, only leaves and fruit off plants that dont die as a consequence of your consumption. Some wanker will think its a great idea. Certainly a good karma cleanse

cool, recycling ancient beliefs is one of the best ways to earn a buck in western society, look at eckhart tolle. although now that oprahs off the mainstream you might find it difficult to reach the lucrative "middleclass housewives" market.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jain_vegetarianism

Funny you say that, I thought the same until I saw my iron levels after 6 months with no meat.

Well what other foods rich in iron were you eating?

Peace

I call myself vegetarian though I do eat fish very occasionally in small amounts for the protein, but it's so infrequent I ticked veggo. Technically I guess I'm a pescatarian. I actually try to have fish every now and then even when I don't want to, for the high quality protein, as all protein supplements I've tried make feel sick haha.

In terms of getting all the right vitamins and things like iron from a vegetarian diet, it can actually be really hard for some people even when they eat the right foods, as our bodies don't always absorb things properly or at the same rates. Vegan diet's are intense, from what I understand from talking to dieticians most vegans are deficient in some area, most often calcium, but I admire the dedication/discipline. I eat yoghurt and sometimes cheese, but I hate the taste of milk cause I'm a freak. Chnt looks down on me.

firstly, i apologise for my aggressive doucheyness, my passion tends to get out of hand a lot.

secondly the word "god" refers to a singular masculine entity and for this reason it is inherently oppressive, add to the fact that "god" is perpetuated most predominantly through oppressive religions such as christianity and catholicism, for these reasons i can never accept the word "god" as referring to some entity or concept, i feel a different word should be used and the word "god" should be made completely redundant save for people stuck in archaic and oppressive belief systems. it leaves a bad taste in my mouth and i hate it, people kill in the name of it, people believe the word of it as absolute truth, who wrote those words? who really knows what is absolute? (nobody can ever know)

thirdly, when you wrote "When God said", i was compelled to correct God with "god", because that statement suggests that "god" is absolute, and the rest of that sentence is a reference to the "god" that exists within the bible, ie the christian/catholic god. once again i apologise for my doucheyness, i wasn't trying to have a go at you, my gripe is with "god" and how socially accepted "god" is in society, i am anti-social norms, they are oppressive and conservative and they are bringing not only the human race down, but the whole world down with them.

my beliefs are fundamentally - no one can ever really know anything. so when people talk about "god" like "god" is real, i get annoyed, because no one can know if "god" is real or not, and within an infinite number of possibilities, the probability of the christian or catholic or islamic (or what ever religion's) "god" being true approaches 0%, ie they are most likely (overwhelmingly) completely wrong.

i love you and i hate "god"

Eggs also have all the essential amino acids that make a full protein fairy. But you probably knew that. Eggs are also high in B12, btw.

The way I've always understood it, is that being a vegetarian is a health choice. But being a vegan is a life style choice, since there really is no quality source of protein that doesn't come from animals.

I know it's harder for vegetarians to get iron, since iron that doesn't come from meat is usually harder for the body to absorb. But from what I've read, it's extremely uncommon for vegetarians who take special care of there iron needs and take a lot of vitamin C or whatever, to actually be deficient in iron. 

That's why I'd be very interested to know how a person who became deficient in iron after becoming vegetarians were making sure they tried to get enough.

Peace

fairy's mum's daal is the bomb.

i'm hungry too psylo

• Like 1

secondly the word "god" refers to a singular masculine entity and for this reason it is inherently oppressive

Dont push your beliefs onto me man!! If i want to believe God is female then that is my right and i shouldnt have to read about poeple saying otherwise!

But seriously, to say that god is inherently oppressive because he (according to you) is a singular masculine entity, seems to be jumping on the bandwagon of "social norms" far more then someone who simply quotes god.

you have a point.

but considering this - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_religious_populations

it seems that the most common view of god is that of a singular masculine entity, and also with god there is also goddess which is the female equivalent, do you see my point?

I certainly respect that idea! As another point of view though, as far as "karma's" concerned, death is as much a part of the natural cycle as birth and sex. I certainly won't be having a baby for every time I eat some meat... but I guess sex to balance that out isn't too bad an idea! lol