The Corroboree
Bretloth

Possums eat peyote.

Hey guys, just noticed one of my peyotes has been raped and pillaged, with the tell tale droppings of a possum left behind. Sure as shit never figured a fucking possum would eat peyote, but there you go. Anyone have any strategies for getting rid of possums? I have no problem going full nuclear if that's what it takes, any advice appreciatted.

:angry:

Damn possum. I hope he bad buzzes about stealing and learns a valuable lesson.

• Like 1

Took some decent sized chunks out, little fucker would be buzzing for sure.

That sucks dude. Im not sure i have possum issues, put they have little orange markings all over some of the buttons, is that anything like the aftermath of a possum attack?

Little orange marks are probably sun burn related i'd say, possums take chunks out, rip pups off and have a nibble.. I'm thinking capitol punishment.

I have the same problem - they get onto my apartment's balcony and take big bites out of whichever of my prized cacti they feel like sampling. Little fuckers! They don't seem to actually eat them, they just take bites out to taste.

My solution has been to create enclosures for my most valuable plants using wire mesh. I'm also making wooden contraptions covered in wire prongs to attach to the poles supporting my balcony and which the possums must be climbing up. I have also tried to arrange my cacti so that the more valuable ones are surrounded by the extremely spiny ones (macrogonus, pilosocereues, grusonni etc). However, I have been amazed at just how capable the possums are of biting into very spiny plants (e.g., a large peruvianus with larg spines).

To be safe, I bring the extra special ones inside during the night time.

One thing I heard of on these forums is that using white oil can deter them. It was recommended that you apply it to the base of the pots, but I reckon putting some around the rim of the pot would be good too. I've yet to try this though.

Let us know how you go with it!

• Like 1

I don't know if killing the possums will work. It depends on how many trees can harbour possums where you live. If it's enough that another possum can move into the turf rather easily, then I would not bother killing them (as it will give false peace of mind, and the 'new guy' might move in when you least expect it and also eat the yotes).

I would go for chicken wire around the top in such a way that it can't fall off. I reckon something with maybe stiff bendable wire and a hemisphere of chicken wire would do the job. Not sure how it would look, but something that's sturdy, won't fall off (i.e. even if it got kicked around the lawn, the yote would still be inside it's 'cage'). And that you can remove easily (for up-potting without cutting the wire [hence wasting it]).

Edit: spelling.

Edited by βluntmuffin
  • Like 1

Leave him some bread, enough so that hes full ;)

• Like 1

Cheers for the tips guys, much appreciatted. Got em in a wire cage now, should keep them out, will see if I can get some white oil. Killing the little fucker probably wouldn't help, too close to the bush. Got an apricot tree full of ripe fruit, and it goes my fucking peyote..

possums take chunks out, rip pups off and have a nibble..

indeed they do, see here

I had a possum take keen interest in one of my acacia seedlings the bastard kept ripping the peat pellet out of the soil :angry:

If all else fails or you get sick of the wire just ask around for a possum trap, then take it far far far away (or utilise it for awesome possum pranks!!)

Damn possums!

• Like 1

I don't have possums but I have small mice or rodents of some form that LOVE taking small bites out of my lophs, basically decimated 90% of my seedlings, little pricks!!! :wave-finger:

Quassia chips repel possums.

You soak it water for 24 hours and then spray it around the plants.

They could still have a nibble and then they taste it and fuck off.

After that you leave a few chips around to keep the smell in the area.

It's hard to come by in Oz but a few places stock it or can get it in.

I don't know if it will work for an ethno possum though, he's obviously developed a taste for the finer things.

I'm pretty sure that possums are protected in Australia - at least where I live. In other words, I'm pretty sure its illegal to kill them.

Dont kill the poss. :o Just send them all to me. They´ll make a nice suit. :wink:

Edited by Evil Genius
  • Like 2

Exactly! And it would make a perfect match with my panda-baby-bear belt knuckle. :wub:

• Like 2

I'm pretty sure that possums are protected in Australia - at least where I live. In other words, I'm pretty sure its illegal to kill them.

Yeah, it is illegal to kill them! It’s also actually illegal to remove them from your property. Just leave the poor things alone, your in there territory, there not in yours.

Anyway, it doesn’t take a whole lot of creativity to be able to keep your plants and cacti safe, without hurting a possum for just doing what possums do. Try chicken wire.

Peace

If I kill it i'll pray to the great spirit thanking it for the possum, made it ok in avatar. Cheers for replies guys, much appreciatted :)

Got an apricot tree full of ripe fruit, and it goes my fucking peyote

:o It knowsssz :blink: surely no living thing could enjoy the taste ?

We have possums everywhere in my area... after reading this story and a few other similar horror stories from browsing the forums, I have decided to weld up a cage for my button cacti.

Your lucky he wasn't really hungry or up for a threshold experience Brett :P

Would have been shattered if it took the lot! Didn't love that plant for over 3 years for a fucking possum to get to eat it lol.. It'll pull through but lesson learned, will be building a permanant cage for em now ;)

I have a bird problem. Snails also take chunks out of my cacti.

I also welded a cage and put wire around it to keep the lizards out as they like to eat the flowers.

Put some shock wire...... hehehe!

I had some turkeys that ate my 3 peyotes once. Went into my greenhouse one day and one of the peyote buttons had been pulled out of the pot and was on the ground with a chunk taken out. Few days later I’d left the greenhouse open again (due to extreme heat) and went in there to see all 3 peyotes gone without a trace, lol, it was shattering at the time, but it’s all just part of the fun when you’re a gardener. btw, incase anyone’s wondering, none of them seemed like they were tripping. I mean, they were running around the yard carrying on like idiots, but that’s what they always did, lol.

Also, last year my dog (who was just a puppy at the time) got into my mini greenhouse and chewed up like 12 seedlings which were germinated from some very expensive seed. Lol, his a funny little fella though, so it was really hard to stay mad at him.

post-968-0-64716600-1322945031_thumb.jpg

Peace

Got to love it.

My dogs got revenge for you last night.

Woke up to find a dead possum partly buried between 2 Peruvian torches.

Should of got a photo. It looked pretty funny with it's head sitting between the 2 cacti in the pot.

Cacti 1 possum 0