The Corroboree
mooms

fish tank water

fish tank filters contain bacteria which convert ammonia(toxic to fishes) produced by the fishes to nitrite, then into nitrate. then every couple of weeks, before the nitrate levels get too high, i take 25-50% of the water out and replace it with fresh water. i am then left with 50-100 litres of nitrate rich water. there is also some nitrite, algae, trace metal elements, fish poo's, etc.

would this be good stuff to use in the garden?

I suggest you look into aquaponics. At any rate, it should be very good to use.

My link

I put all waste/change water from fishtanks into garden/potplants...so far nobody "complaint"

Edited by satyr
  • Like 1

ive just been pouring mine on my lawn! defs gonna start putting on the garden

When we had a big fish tank Id always use it on the vegie patch and it was great fertiliser. worked wonders. But if you ever to a Ick treatment with Methylene Blue be careful as it has potent effects on peoples body including depleting your bod of nitric oxide.

ive just been pouring mine on my lawn! defs gonna start putting on the garden

All mine goes on the lawn too.

Next time it gets mown I might experiment and pour the fish water on one part of the garden only and see which part grows faster.

Edited by OPP

When we had a big fish tank Id always use it on the vegie patch and it was great fertiliser. worked wonders. But if you ever to a Ick treatment with Methylene Blue be careful as it has potent effects on peoples body including depleting your bod of nitric oxide.

ah, good point. luckily i have never had ick, but i do have cichlids, and they love to beat on each other, resulting in nipped fins, gashes and the like. i'll use melafix or a home made tea tree oil concoction to treat them from time to time. not sure if this is something i want to avoid splashing in the garden.

Edited by mooms

It should be pretty good for the plants (and obviously no worse than plain tap water). Methylene blue is also apparently an MAOI (just an interesting thing I read), but poured onto plants shouldnt cause any harm if you eat the plants (I think it was actually used as medicine for humans and as an additive to various things in the past), because its in such low concentrations especially after its seeped through the soil and been diluted from watering. I think it also degrades in light (the reason the water only stays blue/green for a couple of days).

Melafix and tea tree treatments shouldnt do much harm either, and would definitely be safer than Methylene blue.

A bit off topic, but how does melafix and tea tree go for fin re-growth? I have a siamese fighter in a community tank with a yoyo loach that occasionally likes to nip, so Iv considered making up a tea tree solution as well.

A bit off topic, but how does melafix and tea tree go for fin re-growth? I have a siamese fighter in a community tank with a yoyo loach that occasionally likes to nip, so Iv considered making up a tea tree solution as well.

tea tree mix works just as well as melafix IME, and is far cheaper. just remember that the longer you leave the injury, the lower you chances are of repair. the fins will just scar and/or tear down the middle into 2.

i'll try and find the tea tree recipe. cant remember the exact ratio mix.

I never put any chemicals in my fish tank and I have large cichlids that are always punching on with each other. The trick is to have a blackwater aquarium, I put terminalia leaves and peat moss in my filter, as they decompose they release tannins into the water which act as an antibiotic. Also gives your water a groovey natural brown colour.

I can't get rid of the brown colour in my aquarium much to my annoyance. I have a lovely piece of driftwood that I bought that is still leaching tannins after over a year!!!

If I have pot plants that have gotten a bit dry and the potting mix becomes hydrophobic, I submerge the pot in the 60L plastic bin full of tank water that I siphon out when doing water changes and cleaning. Great for my bonsai in summer. The water then goes on the lawn or vege garden. Works a treat.

ive been using fish tank water on my garden for a while now works awesome as long the fish are getting fed decent quality food

ive been using fish tank water on my garden for a while now works awesome as long the fish are getting fed decent quality food

a realy good feed are compost worms, i feed them to my pet crayfish, and most fishy would go bonkers, over this life food aswell.

when i tried to grow lotus (and failed) i introduced duck weed into my barrell of water, aswell as very few little fishy, but lot's of other water critters aswell.

and although the fishy would not make much of a difference to the ammount of nutrients the water carries, this "green water" is my favorite hand watering water.

all i do is to top it up with tank water once in a while.

i like mulching, my pot plants with duck weed aswell.

tea tree mix works just as well as melafix IME, and is far cheaper. just remember that the longer you leave the injury, the lower you chances are of repair. the fins will just scar and/or tear down the middle into 2.

i'll try and find the tea tree recipe. cant remember the exact ratio mix.

i cant find the original DIY article which is really irking me because i was almost certain i knew where it was :BANGHEAD2:

anyway, i found another article that says 1ml of tea tree oil per 100ml distilled water(this sounds right). shake the hell out of it when you make it, and everytime before you use it. you realy have to shake it for about a full minute. one of the main differences between melafix and the DIY stuff is melafix binds all the goodies together.

you must have some happy lil critters ph

so the duck weed is good for the garden to hey... good to know

i've used it to feed my fish but never on the garden maybe ill give ill add some in to my water

a frend of mine just got some water llillies goin when i can get my hands on some seeds i wanna give em a go

Thanks mooms =] Ill have to give it a try.

I like the idea of duckweed as a mulch. It should contain a fair bit of nutrients too, which would get released as they break down.

Well a large scale plant indoor hydroponic grow system does use minnows or carp or telipia in circulating vats to add the nitrogen [fish shit]to the lets say a indoor tomato greenhouse./

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tilapia

telipia [tastes like swordfish].

[Tilapia serve as a natural, biological control for most aquatic plant problems. Tilapia consume floating aquatic plants, such as duckweed watermeal (Lemna sp.), most "undesirable" submerged plants, and most forms of algae.[22] In the United States and countries such as Thailand, they are becoming the plant control method of choice, reducing or eliminating the use of toxic chemicals and heavy metal-based algaecides.

Tilapia rarely compete with other "pond" fish for food. Instead, because they consume plants and nutrients unused by other fish species and substantially reduce oxygen-depleting detritus, adding tilapia often increases the population, size and health of other fish.

Arizona stocks tilapia in the canals that serve as the drinking water sources for the cities of Phoenix, Mesa and others. The fish help purify the water by consuming vegetation and detritus, greatly reducing purification costs.

Arkansas stocks many public ponds and lakes to help with vegetation control, favoring tilapia as a robust forage species and for anglers.

In Kenya, tilapia help control mosquitoes which carry malaria parasites. They consume mosquito larvae, which reduces the numbers of adult females, the disease’s vector.[23]

Tilapia also provide an abundant food source for aquatic predators.]

Edited by devance

I think tilapia are actually banned in Australia. Although they would be an awesome farm fish food source here.

Tilapia ( Tilapia mariae) swim wild at Hazelwood Power Station ( Hazelwood Pondage) in Victoria. There are quite a few other cichlids that have also been released into the warm, alkaline water, and have thrived and reproduced. In my experience, i have found Tilapia to be aggressive towards tank mates.

I have watered heaps of plants with fish tank water and haven't had any problems. :)

i would like to have an aquaponics setup with sturgeons and macrobrachiums and producing fresh water pearls on the side line. i love my home grown caviar! :)

koi would be my choice in nsw.

qld lung fish produces good caviar aswell, ozzi native caviar!!!

i would like to have an aquaponics setup with sturgeons and macrobrachiums and producing fresh water pearls on the side line. i love my home grown caviar! :)

koi would be my choice in nsw.

qld lung fish produces good caviar aswell, ozzi native caviar!!!

www.nytimes.com/2006/07/05/business/05caviar.html?pagewanted=all

[ELVERTA, Calif. — Peter Struffenegger inspected a female sturgeon freshly killed with a mallet as an employee slid the fish onto a table inside Sterling Caviar's fish farm during a harvest here. The fish, which weighed 30 pounds, was then slit open with one slice, the valuable roe inside removed, weighed and put into sealed Tupperware. Mr. Struffenegger and the other workers at the farm wore smocks and surgical-style face masks.]

Theres ways of havesting eggs without killing the fish.

Look at a trout hatchery.

koi would be my choice, but goldfish or varietys like the black molly or lion head or Celestial Eye Goldfish could be raised.

http://www.your-goldfish.com/celestial-eye-goldfish.html

Celestial eye goldfish or Choten gan[1] is a double-tailed breed of fancy goldfish that has a breed-defining pair of telescope eyes which are turned upwards, pupils gazing skyward.[2] When the fry hatch, the eyes of young Celestials are normal but gradually protrude sideways, as in the Telescope eye goldfish, and then turn upwards within a period of six months.[3]

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://blogs.discovery.com/.a/6a00d8341bf67c53ef014e8756a18e970d-800wi&imgrefurl=http://news.discovery.com/animals/blind-cavefish-dont-snore-110411.html&h=253&w=354&sz=165&tbnid=O6A7WIJ0sQAyjM:&tbnh=98&tbnw=137&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dblind%2Bcave%2Bfish%26tbm%3Disch%26tbo%3Du&zoom=1&q=blind+cave+fish&docid=SIWm6ihhUkqVRM&sa=X&ei=CkHGTuSQDsXmiALNy-D-Dw&ved=0CCYQ9QEwAw

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mexican_tetra

[borowsky and his colleagues, Erik Duboué and Alex Keene, discovered that the sightless form of the Mexican tetra (Astyanax mexicanus) needs far less sleep than its sighted cousins of the same species. Their observation of fish in the dark may shed light on human sleep disorders.

"In some ways, the sleep phenotypes of cave fish are similar to those of humans with sleep disorders," explained Borowsky. "They go to sleep, but only for relatively short periods, then they awaken and remain awake for relatively long periods."

BLOG: Alcohol Exposure Makes Fish Anti-Social

"The next job is to identify the genes which are responsible for sleep modification in the cave fish. They would be good candidates for the genes responsible for insomnia and other sleep disorders in humans," said Borowsky.]

Don't give a blind cave fish any alcohol!

But a real nice aquarium member as well as electric fish;

As noturnal

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_ghost_knifefish

http://aqualandpetsplus.com/Knife,%20Clown.htm

Edited by devance