The Corroboree
Heffa

Sniffer Dogs & Dex - Your Experiences

Hey all, i've been asked a few questions by friends, family and acquaintances previously and have never been able to complete straight answers.

The first one is in relation to drug detection or sniffer dogs and what actual substances they can detect.

Now this seems to be quite variable from methamphetamine, to GHB, to PCP and even LSD, with the obvious one being cannabis. Now this thread is not about getting a list of drugs to find loop-holes, nor is it about ways to hide one's stash from these super-noses, but it would be great if some of the members here would be able to share their experiences from friends of friends or information they are aware of in relation to sniffer dogs and their rare finds [specifically the substance detected, (or) the substance undetected, location or circumstance (nightclub/train/festival), and outcome or reflection on scenario].

(Research suggests 73% of people identified by the dogs are not carrying drugs and most drugs detected are small amounts of cannabis FROM HERE)

Any and all stories would be incredibly appreciated and should be really interesting.

In my experience, whilst walking to a festival, there were probably around 200-300 police outside the event and i noticed around 20 sniffer dogs on the way in. The police were obviouly on the prowl and i witnessed many people being singled out simply because of the wey they dressed or were presenting themselves. I noticed one guy getting pulled aside and since i was alone at the time, i leaned up against a fence with a cigarette to onlook. This guy was 'detected' by a dog and the officer pulling him aside grabbed a cigarette packet out of the man's pocket, pulling him toward a tent. The guy emerged 30mins later when my friends finally showed up looking quite shaken and pale and sat down near where i was standing. Feeling bad for him, i went over and offered him a cigarette which he happily accepted and we got talking.

Turns out that the dog had sat infront of him as he was walking and as neither the police officer or the dog was looking at him, he tried to side step it, which the cop noticed and immediately grabbed him (The poor thing was probably just tired being out in the middle of the day). When he was taken away this guy was given an ultimatum - Leave the premises with the police to be searched and interrogated which would take the "rest of the day" or comply to a full search in the tent and if clean, return to the festival. Being innocent and wanting to attend the festival he complied. All his belongings were taken appart including his cigarettes, phone, asthma inhaler, wallet and lighter. Once taken apart, the items were placed in a tray for him to recover, he was then made to remove all clothes minus underwear, was patted down and made to shake his boxers.

The guy was pretty distressed and finally was subjected to a drug test before allowing him to continue to the festival.

This brings me back to my next inquiry in relation to the roadside drug tests. Just wondering if there is anyone out there that has experienced one, whether or not they tested +ve or not and some stories of friends of friends that have tested positive, even false positives. Have not heard of anyone that has gone through one at all really, apparently they are quite expensive ($75 a test) and there are stats that claim there are a high number of positives (cant remember citations).

Finally, and this is a long shot. Anyone out there know of an ACTUAL experience where Dexamphetamine and other Amph derivatives (duramine, pseudo, etc) have been detected by a roadside/random drug test? There are a lot of opinions and assumptions out there that dont give much evidence. So i thought an experience would be best or even info if someone can link me to something i have not already scouted.

Thanks heaps all and hope to hear some interesting stories. :worship:

Edited by Heffa

scary world, terrorise innocent people, i view this as a form of abuse and terrorism.

i have a story about swim.

a couple of years ago, swim was hanging out with a friend and they each had a bong or 2, a little while later, swim's room mate who had not had anything,

asked the other 2 if they would like to come for a drive with him, just down the road because he was gonna get some shitty fast food.

the 2 guys decided to go, so the friend sat in the passenger seat and swim sat in the back behind the driver, the drive was only about 5 minutes long,

and at the last set of lights before the destination, an undercover cop car put it's lights on, directly behind this car.

so the room mate pulls into the kfc/hungry jack's car park area and parks just outside, in plain sight of everyone.

swim and his friend were like what the fuck, this is fucked, why is this happening..

2 cops approached the vehicle, a man and a woman, the man said to the room mate that they were detectives,

and that when they entered the car's number plate into their computer, the owner came up as an old lady.

with the age of the 3 guys being around 21, they obviously didn't fit the description to any degree, and this is why they pulled the vehicle over,

they also stated that there have been many car thefts in the area..

the reason for this misunderstanding is that the room mate's car was actually his grandmother's or something like that, hence the discrepancy.

after this explanation and a showing of the room mate's license, it seemed everything was fine, except..

while this was all happening, swim was really freaking out, he was trying to act as normal as possible, but this was a difficult time for swim, not only was he stoned,

and had red eyes, but also he was going through many issues at this time, and one of those issues were insomnia, so that added to his "undesirable" look, bags under eyes,

tired looking, etc, he also suffered from anxiety, particularly social anxiety, and at the time severe depression, so this combination made it very difficult for swim to look casual/normal.

as the previous paragraph was happening (the conversing), the female cop, was walking around the car, looking into it very suspiciously, like they were obviously guilty of something,

she approached swim's window and looked at him, and then tapped on the window, then when swim looked at her she told him to wind it down.

once down, she asked swim why he looked so nervous, and a bunch of similar questions, including if he was high,

swim didn't really know what to say, and found it hard to communicate due to previously stated issues,

he did manage to say he was really tired due to not having slept and that he wasn't nervous, but the female cop decided to take it further and asked swim to get out of the car, even though

the male cop was gesturing that everything was fine and she didn't need to pursue anything.

swim got out of the car, meanwhile both kfc and hungry jack's had many people outside watching this whole ordeal, which made swim feel extremely uncomfortable, and embarrassed.

the female cop talked to the male cop, then the male cop approached swim and asked swim if he had anything on him, the thing is, swim had 2 dexies on him in his pocket, but swim

also had a prescription for these dexies, though the prescription was only on the bottle which was back at his house. he told all of this to the cops, the male cop then said he

was gonna search swim and told him to take everything out of his pockets. feeling very humiliated at this point, swim took everything out of his pockets, including the dexies, plus his wallet, phone,

and a few other non-important items. these things were handed to the female cop who searched through them, while the male cop then said he would pat swim down.

the male cop then proceeded to frisk swim, the usual routine, patted him down from chest to legs, and pockets, etc.. while this was happening, the many people around were all staring at swim,

who was feeling so humiliated, like this was the most humiliating thing that has ever happened to him, he wanted to cry, he felt so pathetic.

swim noticed that while the cop was patting him down, the cop seemed to be pushing swim, as if to check his balance, swim felt that the cop was trying to push swim over,

and if he succeeded, swim would be accused of being high, and would be taken to the station for further interrogation/testing etc. fortunately for swim, even though due to his issues,

mainly the fact that he was stoned, and was also sleep deprived, which would equate to poor balance, swim in fact had very good balance, due to a natural ability, but also due to the fact

that swim had been training martial arts several times a week for the past several months, swim did not fall over, rather he could easily resist the cops force, without hardly tensing or anything,

plus swim had a fairly narrow stance, which made balance harder, swim was determined not to move, and didn't need to move his feet at all, swim felt that this reason alone saved him on this occasion.

the cop finished frisking swim, then began telling him that although swim had a prescription for dexies, swim needed to carry the prescription with him at all times when he wanted to have dexies on his person.

swim explained to the cops that he did not want to take the whole bottle around everywhere will all his pills inside, and for this reason did not have the prescription on him, the cop understood his position,

but stated once again that even though this was the case, swim should still carry the bottle with him in the future, swim agreed and then all his belongings were returned to him, including the dexies.

after swim had put everything back into his pockets and entered the car, the 3 guys all sat there in silence waiting for the police to leave, once this happened, the room mate started the car and drove off,

the friend asked the room mate if he was still gonna get food and the room mate said "fuck that". swim was so relieved nothing further happened, but still felt so humiliated, ashamed, embarrassed, depressed, miserable,

and angry that this had happened, he felt so violated, but he couldn't do anything so he tried to forget about it, and that was it.

so yeah, pretty bad story hey.

]The guy was pretty distressed and finally was subjected to a drug test before allowing him to continue to the festival. [/color] [/quote]

why would they be drug tested? i thought it wasn't against the law to be under the influence of drugs?

several years ago, at prodigy's sydney gig at the hordern, a mate of mine was searched by a sniffer dog. the reaction by the dog was instant and the cop actually remarked at how strong the scent was.

the funny thing about this is that earlier in the afternoon, i'd been looking up the maximum amount of LSD you could be busted with and still not get a serious charge, and he decided to carry just under this quantity in his wallet. however, before the concert, he happened to knock over the bong and spill some bong water on his foot.

so when the sniffer dogs stopped him for a search, i was in utter shock and expecting him to get massively pumped for this acid that he had in his wallet. they patted him down, made him empty out his pockets and even WENT THRU HIS WALLET, but for some reason they failed to find the acid. to this day i cannae believe his luck, and it's definitive proof that jeebus is most certainly one seriously trippin foooooo'

if cunts are gonna be carrying serious shit on their person, then they'd most certainly do well to steer clear of mr billy bong thornton.

As some of you may know I am prescribed dexam at 60 mg/day. I have been drug tested multiple times whilst driving.

I have never tested positive and when enquiring was told that the test definately does not detect dex ! To cover myself i do have a letter from my doctor permitting me to drive whilst under the influence though.. It may not be detected at the roadside but if there is a serious accident of some kind then a more comprehensive test can be undertaken that will detect it's presence.

As for sniffer dogs... I have passed a few in my times with a pocketfull of d5 and as of yet have gone through unmolested. Does not mean they can't detect it, just that they didnt. I remember coming back from melbourne after a considerably large bender, and as i was going through the metal detector ( still offtap ! sweating, sunnies - looking in fine form B) ) and as i went to go empty my pocets of change and keys about thirty dexies spilled out of my pockets and scattered everywhere ! I shit myself and quickly started to profess my right to be in posession of them... but they did not even check to see what exactly the pills where i was carrying. Im still shocked to this day. I think his words were... " just pick them up and keep moving mate.. its only a domestic flight :scratchhead:

So there is a summation of my d5 experiences heffa. Hope that helps shed some light for ya

Thanks for the story chnt, it is definitely unreasonable to carry a bottle around at all times, it may be possible if they came in boxes to have a labeled box in your wallet or something and i know plent of people that just put a ritalin box in their purse and wallets. I for one, carry an empty bottle in my car and backpack but wonder if it has to be up to date? as they are only valid for a month before i buy a knew lot. But i really dont want to have to wake up every morning, put on my pants and check - wallet, phone, puffer....current, labled dex bottle.

Faustus, they didnt mention why but im assuming they wanted a reason to remove him from the festival. With a positive drug test they could remove him from the festival for 'public intoxication' from when he stumbled to avoid the dog.

Massive :P laughs :P about the bong water, the most pungent of cannabis smoking aids :) I can think of some people who would be barking and clawing his leg, after smelling it miles away.

That would have been intense watching law enforcement trawl through the wallet, he must have had the blotter paper in the design of a bank card :lol:

Thanks for your info and accounts too Tipz, hell funny about the domestic flight :) :) :)

Interesting to know about the RDTs, although there have been allegations at Bluelightthat different states have different test kits or something? The Qld flier denies being able to pick up pseudo for example while here Bluelight says Vic does pick it up?

There is actually heaps of info here on illicit drug detection in general here - drug detection testing AU.pdf

I havent gone through it all yet but on a search for dex i did read that: "Where a screen is positive for three classes of drugs—opiates,

benzodiazepines, or amphetamines... In all three classes of drugs, there are substances either available

over the counter or on prescription that can trigger a positive result... even legally available drugs can be misused and drug testing techniques can rarely, if at all, distinguish between legitimate and illegitimate use."

Cant see much on RDTs but its interesting all the same....

drug detection testing AU.pdf

drug detection testing AU.pdf

Can't give you much information regarding rare finds or what drugs the dogs are trained to detect but can offer a couple of stories.

About a year ago I was in the pub (Sydney Northern Beaches) one Wednesday night when some cops come through with a sniffer dog. Two of the people I was with had a small amount of cocaine each on them. One of them hid the bag under a coaster on the table whereas the other one became nervous and tried to slip out the back door. Outside the back door were more police who then subjected him to a search and found his drugs.

Another evening going into a concert in Sydney a mate got pulled over for a search after being detected by a dog. He admitted to having a pill in his pocket and went to pull it out only he couldn't find it. Thinking it had been lost he was very convincing and the police searched him and let him go. 20 steps later going into the concert the pill fell out of the bottom of his pant leg!!!

The way that you react to the police dogs is also a big giveaway and the police are watching not only the dog but also your reaction. So stay calm.

i have a couple of stories,

A couple of years ago at one of the big sydney music festivals. One of my friends was carying one pill tied in a balloon on his tongue in his mouth.

He was a big stoner and constantly smoking bongs, had the last one abour 15 mins before entering the eventt. The dog sat infront of him he stepped sideways to avoid the dog and the cop immediately grabbed him quite violently. The cop then grabbed him by the throat before he could swallow the pill. He tried to spit the pill into the lake on the side of the path but unfortunately came up about a foot short. Another cop came picked up the pill and marched him off. He was strip searched and charged, told he was banned for life from that event. We got him in about 15 mins later LOL. Later received a two year bond

Another friend was setting up at the same festival but a year later. Again a pretty big smoker. Was stopped and strip searched every time he entered the site, even just on setup!! I think it was a total of three or four times all up! He never carried anything and was all good. Kinda liked tieing up the cops time with them achieving nothing

Both encounters have been a fault of the bong IMO. A few other incidents through the years at train stations have also kinda confirmed this

Someone who probably isnt me when he used to sell pills was down south at leavers and was told there was going to be masses of dogs at the leavers 'events' (shitty council run alcohol free concerts) went without any to sell and got there only to find a couple cop cars out the front and no dogs and every second person asking for some! So he got his mate to drive him back to the accomodation to pick some up in exchange for some shouted pipes. On the drive back his mate missed a turn and slammed his brrakes on and turned around only to be facing a cop car, they pulled them over and b rethoed the driver, fail espesially seeng on ps and zero is a fail they asked the other bloke if he wanted to take the car but he replied nah I'm drunk too so they gave both a lift to the station, he had a chance to dump the 20 + pills but after just having pipes was over confident and hopped in the back of the divvy van. On the way they were discussing eating a bunch or dumping out the window in very quiet voices but just ended up holding them. The driver went inside for a couple hours (being busy coz of leavers) and the first bloke stood out the front, two dogs went past this time but nothing more than a nod from the handelers, maybe they smelt but coudnt be fucked coz the shift was over! They weren't the best pills but two would still fuck you up so I don't know what happen there other than luck!

Sorry not to do with dex last poin nor is this one but to do with testing and dogs

Ive failed piss test before (just dip test before getting my real one to make sure i had been off weed for long enough) and failed for opiates all i had was cold and flu tablets 3 days before.

Also my mat had been smoking all arvo one day before going to airport to pick his girlfriend up and took the bong and chop with so he could smoke on way home, got to airport early so had a few cones in the car then went inside only to walk straight upto a beagle! *oh yeah theres sniffer dogs at airport* dog didnt stop nor did he bring anything inside but he still felt pretty stuid haha

Edited by coryWA

Also had been ...... going to airport to pick my girlfriend..... got to airport early.......then went inside only to walk straight upto a beagle! *oh yeah theres sniffer dogs at airport* he didnt stop.

It was probably a fruit detection dog. I always see them in Perth airport.

Edited by Bread Filter
  • Like 1

******?????******

Sorry to be a forumnazi but Cory please refer to the posting rules in particular rule one:

1) Do not incriminate yourself or others.

Just a heads up :)

Edited by ErraneousHerbalist
  • Like 1

Yeah sorry cheers mate

You might want to edit your post and ask Erraneous to edit the quoted part of your post he posted. I edited the quoted part of your text that I posted.

You might want to edit your post and ask Erraneous to edit the quoted part of your post he posted. I edited the quoted part of your text that I posted.

Done.

It was probably a fruit detection dog. I always see them in Perth airport.

i forget what drug dogs are used at airports. something smaller maybe? beagles are indeed for fruit and whatever. beagles are adorable.

Out of 3 real canine searches (ie non fruit sniffin dog .came right up to my person and backpack snooping n sniffin around) 2 in aus one miami airport.Dogs never sniffed out my prescription dexamphetamine. .

edit plus 2 times in DR airport.

Edited by Hendry

Out of 3 real canine searches (ie non fruit sniffin dog .came right up to my person and backpack snooping n sniffin around) 2 in aus one miami airport.Dogs never sniffed out my prescription dexamphetamine. .

edit plus 2 times in DR airport.

How did you know they were non fruit dogs? In Australia the detector dogs are usually behind the scenes going over your baggage. If a dog was sniffing around your backpack in the luggage collection area of an Australian domestic flight then chances are it was a fruit dog.

Also the dogs are usually only trained in one substance. The police even go so far as to dress guard dogs up as detector dogs and use the handlers experience/observation skills to "positively identify" you as carrying illegal substances.

Edited by Bread Filter

The last three times I've been in a airport i have been chosen "randomly" for the drug/explosives swipe test thingy. Profiling. . .

• Like 1

The last three times I've been in a airport i have been chosen "randomly" for the drug/explosives swipe test thingy. Profiling. . .

The ION scanners have the capacity to scan for drugs but the machines you are talking about, (past the metal detectors), are only used for explosives detection in Australian domestic airports. It will trigger if you have been handling sparklers, and christmas bons bons.

So they thought i was a terrorist? Phew

So they thought i was a terrorist? Phew

They'd pick out something like every 5 or 10 people that come through. I can see what your getting at though, one of my teammates used to get scanned every weekend before we got on the plane and he swore it was profiling.

Also the dogs are usually only trained in one substance. The police even go so far as to dress guard dogs up as detector dogs and use the handlers experience/observation skills to "positively identify" you as carrying illegal substances.

Would that be a legitimate enough reason for the officer to search you? or would it be similar to a random bag/body search on the street where they ask you, but you are allowed to refuse?

Would you be sure enough of your statement to go as far as refuse the search based on the possibility that the dog isn't a trained detection dog (if you didnt think it was or the dog didnt specifically single you out)? I wounder if they could get the authority to detain/arrest you for incompliance if they did use the aformentioned tactic of 'experience/observation skills'

Hope I dont come across as provocative, im just trying to get a full picture :blush:

Would that be a legitimate enough reason for the officer to search you? or would it be similar to a random bag/body search on the street where they ask you, but you are allowed to refuse?

They are currently using it as grounds enough for a search. You are not allowed to refuse a bag search these days as they just say we have reason to believe you have "xxx" in your bag. That is all they need to search you whether they have been given information or not.

Would you be sure enough of your statement to go as far as refuse the search based on the possibility that the dog isn't a trained detection dog (if you didnt think it was or the dog didnt specifically single you out)? I wounder if they could get the authority to detain/arrest you for incompliance if they did use the aformentioned tactic of 'experience/observation skills'

Hope I dont come across as provocative, im just trying to get a full picture :blush:

I don't believe that would be sufficient to refuse a search but I am not a legal person. There is no way of proving that a police dog is actually a guard dog and even if you could the Police would lie to suit their story.

As I don't use drugs and am never in possession of any I wouldn't refuse any search that is going to tie up police resources. Just don't give them your name before they search you. They are only allowed to record your name in their field list after they have found you to be in possession. Unfortunately the first thing they do is take your ID and record it. Know your rights.

I wounder if they could get the authority to detain/arrest you for incompliance if they did use the aformentioned tactic of 'experience/observation skills'

Definitely. It's been done before.

Edited by Bread Filter
  • Like 1

Great, thanks for that Bread, and everyone else for that matter! please keep them comming. I've pretty much got what i came for in relation to the dex and roadside drug tests but all these stories about the dogs are great!

Thanks heaps for your contributions, and like i said, if youve got a story, please tell! :)