The Corroboree
El Presidente Hillbillios

The SAB giant pumpkin growing contest

Their squash aye?^^^

lol,yeh mun :) squash,butternut pumpkin,pumpkin,pepon(πέπων)meaning melon (where the word pepon originally mutated into our english word 'pumpkin'

- it's all good.... although i'd expect larger pumps make easier canvases to work with yes.

Can't wait to see some pics of advanced growth entries.

keep pumping guys

• Like 1

I thought that was a culinary distinction, no?

Fruit is what they're called in horticulture.

Vegetable is what they're called in the kitchen.

basically. though i don't see why people have such issues with the fruit/vegetable distinction. there are just sweet and savoury of each, it's easy. apples are a sweet fruit. rhubarb is a sweet vegetable. zucchinis are a savoury fruit. potatoes are a savoury vegetable.

used to have chef housemate, insisted pumpkins were "vegetables in the fruit domain" whatever that means...

Edited by frank

To me it will be niether fruit, vegetable or berry. It will be a boat, hillbilly style!

Until it sinks, then it will be yabby food

• Like 3

I only planted Musquee de Provence pumpkin seed this year

I like your choice. Go heirloom varieties!

I thought that was a culinary distinction, no?

Fruit is what they're called in horticulture.

Vegetable is what they're called in the kitchen.

The concept of a fruit has a scientific basis. The concept of a vegetable does not.

rhubarb is a sweet vegetable

Rhubarb is sweet? I've only ever come across sour rhubarb.

basically. though i don't see why people have such issues with the fruit/vegetable distinction.

I was told years ago...that if it contains seeds on the inside, then its a fruit!?. Thinking about mushrooms though, we use the term 'fruit' ,like fruiting chamber.... but are they really a fruit of veg' ???

Happy Pumpkin growing. Pitty you all didn't start sooner, you could have finished the growing comp' off with a 'jacko'lantern' carving comp'.

:)

seed inside = fruit. other part of plant = vegetable. actually to be honest peas confuse me...they ARE the seeds. so are they a vegetable? also unfortunately, strawberries are a flower :P.

and yes tripsis, rhubarb is sour. but it isnt savoury! sugar cane then. there. sweet vegetative material. THREAD DERAILED CALL A FORKLIFT

Strawberries are not a flower. There's a flower before the strawberry forms. I think you're thinking of a fig.

Still, the 'other part of plant = vegetable' has no scientific basis. Not that that invalidates it, but it is a vague term as a result.

Bees have decided to make a hive in a tree between me and my outdoor seedling :( this'll make it interesting lol

Let me rephrase myself:

In science/botany/horticulture, there's no such thing as a vegetable. There are fertilised flowers, which are called fruit.

The idea of a vegetable, as distinct from a fruit, exists only in the culinary arts/gastronomy/common vernacular. Here the distinctions are based on taste and cultural habits. As such, these boundaries are variable through time and place.

Here's our 21st Century Delphic Oracle on the subject.

• Like 1

i seem to recall in botany class last year the distinction being made between the 'reproductive' parts of the plant, including fruit, and the 'vegetative' parts.

also you are right about the strawberry tripsis, i forgot about the flower. however since the seeds of a strawberry are on the outside, they are not called a fruit but something else...okay wikipedia explains as usual ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Achene ) that whilst a strawberry is called a fruit, the actual fruits are what we think the seeds are.

maybe it is confusing after all...

Ok so how do I tell the difference between my zucchini and pumpkin seedlings.

Which I freakin mixed up and forgot to label. I'm such an air headed Libran :P

PM me if anybody botanist-ey knows please, because the threads already run off the rails and down the river somewhere LOL

ill try and get pics of my giant pumps up soon, they have gone nuts with my top-secret growth formula.

cant wait to make hillbilly my bitch...again.

• Like 1

You guys talk the talk but can you walk the walk :P

Have you all planted out in the ground. Mine are still in pots and are gowing but not as fast as I would like.

Cheers

Got

mine havent done much, im getting worried!
cant wait to make hillbilly my bitch...again.

:lol:

Have you all planted out in the ground.

Mine are in and putting out some good growth.

One of mines in the ground, reported the other a few days ago, not much action at all yaaawwwnnnn

:lol:

Mine are in and putting out some good growth.

You might win with a 2kg pumpkin yet LOL

I'd better get more than 2kg pumpkins out of my plants!

bump

pics?

...anyway heres mine

drunken punkin

• Like 1

310766_2395746067409_1663691141_2352842_1323532038_n.jpg

Copped it a little bit from the massive amount of ferts in there. But recovering nicely.

Great idea and im in!!! but I only have QLD blues and Butternut pumpkins atm, might have to get some giant seeds :)

Bring on the pump kins :)