The Corroboree
tipz

trading rep

one of the main reassons i decided to stop lurking in the shadows is for trade purposes ( and networking with people who hold a similar interest )

Is there any way a system for rating trade reputation can be integrated or is it all through word of mouth and would it perhaps be too hard to police or maybe create an opening for public conflicts over transactions ?

abandoned

Edited by dworx

all trades from others where i have have been the purchaser have been sweet ! no complaints.

But i get ya point ! i suppose time and doing the right thing is the best way !

i dunno man i like the idea of feedback, similar to ebay. personally i know of some traders who are perenially unreliable, and don't think they should continue getting away with being shoddy just on the assumption that they may 'come good'.

• Like 2

Ive noticed in the past that some members have created threads in the chill space (i think it was that or the trade forum) getting people to rate them as a trader and to lay out any discrepancies that might have happened. I also like the idea of rating (if its deemed suitable), I'm fairly active as a trader and have all my trades fulfilled within 2 weeks, i guess its only reasonable to want the same service B)

If you have done some trades and would like it to be more well known that you are a good trader, you could always do something like this:

http://www.shaman-australis.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=28565&st=0&p=312962&fromsearch=1entry312962

I for one would not hold back either pos or neg feedback if someone asked me to rate them publicly.

abandoned

Edited by dworx

Late trades are all good with me - three weeks and ill start asking, but shit happens and any late trades most members will throw in a few extras to compensate.

As long as there is some form of communication its all good. Maybe ill start a thread in the chill space similar to spacemonks ! its just if every member were to have to do it we would have hundreds of similar posts.

Ill go chuck one up and see how it goes ! Ive only been here a short amount of time but must have completed nearly fourty trades ! ill go do one now.

this is what i was going to say tipz, except i will go even further in my leniency and remember that if things are busy, someone may not even check their messages for 3 weeks or more (assuming people are as bad at time management as myself). however if people perpetually say 'oh yeah i forgot, i will do it by the end of the week' but then leave it for ANOTHER 3 months then yes, i think they should be labelled unreliable, no matter what their personal circumstances. if they were to explain these then i'm sure most would understand, but not communicating anything for months at a time and continuing to break arbitrary promises again and again does not inspire confidence. so others should have some idea what theyre getting themselves into.

Edited by frank

i like the idea of some soft of "trade rate" ... i have finally (sorry guys, u know who u r) finished all my trades and feel that a "trade rate system" would have ensured i didnt forget as often as i did..

All trades complete though! :):BANGHEAD2::bong::BANGHEAD2:

Also, im not the kinda person who posts often, so, Group:2 Helps abit there, but, something is needed to assure other members WE (we = new members who have traded AND purchased but still have low post counts resulting in mistrust from other memebers) dont just put up the $...

Edited by FungiFriend

what DOES the members2 part mean?

There is no separate ratings feature that could be used for this and in any case it could easily be abused [eg by shell accounts].

I like the idea of having discussions about someone's reputation. That way it is possible to address particular issues. for example if a trader gets a bad reputation because he takes risks such as sending overseas where many parcels just don't arrive, then this should be possible to be explained rather than there being an anonymous poz/neg.

However, the last thing I'd want is for the trading forum to get swamped with "do y'all love me" kinda threads like one that was posted recently. These threads need to be in a separate place. So how about we set up a subforum in the trade space which is strictly for reputation discussion only? That way if someone wants to post about someone else or if they want feedback about themselves, this can be posted there. That way comments will have a date and a source which makes it much more meaningful. And it might also make people less timid about asking for the rep of a trader they are getting worried about, ie it might prevent some of the logn term scams we've had in the last year or two.

And if someone posts about someone who already ahs a thread then the threads can simply be merged to keep things tidy.

As this would fall within the responsibilities of the trade forum mod or a separate mod for that subforum we would need to discuss that with him or whoever it will be.

Comments?

• Like 2

Hi Torsten, i think having them in a sperate forum is a good idea. This way, people dont need to browse through a 50+ pages Thread in order to find a certain name. Also, they can check within a few minutes if its a reputable member or not. And a Thread gives members the opportunity to explain whats going on in case someone writes something less nice. Its possible that trades dont arrive because of customs or because the postman makes a mistake. In cases like this, people still have the chance to explain. So yeah, im all for it. bye Eg

Edited by Evil Genius

I think a trading rep thread/subforum could get waterry pretty quickly.

I can imagine that after a while, you'd need to wade back through a number of pages to find what you're looking for.

We have a comments section on our profiles... if we want testimonials, why not ask people we've traded with to give us a quick thankyou that way. If I trade with someone I'm not regularly in contact with, I always check their profile as a starting point and chekc their posting history to get an idea of who I'm dealing with.

If I were to see half a dozen positive comments from other people on the forum that I know, then I'd feel more comfortable going ahead with a trade. Similarly, if there were negative comments I would be hesitant. This way, we can take some sort of control over our own reputation by requesting other leave feedback (similar to ebay). The information would be public but only viewable by going to the person's profile.

hmmm... just realised one issue - we can delete comments so negative feedback won't hang around. Based just on positive feedback though, it would be a simple and effective way to display trading rep without having to create a new dedicated section.

i dunno man i like the idea of feedback, similar to ebay. personally i know of some traders who are perenially unreliable, and don't think they should continue getting away with being shoddy just on the assumption that they may 'come good'.

i agree.

If you have done some trades and would like it to be more well known that you are a good trader, you could always do something like this:

http://www.shaman-australis.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=28565&st=0&p=312962&fromsearch=1entry312962

I for one would not hold back either pos or neg feedback if someone asked me to rate them publicly.

The whole section would be clogged with the threads though (unless there was a seperate subforum or something)

There is no separate ratings feature that could be used for this and in any case it could easily be abused [eg by shell accounts].

I like the idea of having discussions about someone's reputation. That way it is possible to address particular issues. for example if a trader gets a bad reputation because he takes risks such as sending overseas where many parcels just don't arrive, then this should be possible to be explained rather than there being an anonymous poz/neg.

However, the last thing I'd want is for the trading forum to get swamped with "do y'all love me" kinda threads like one that was posted recently. These threads need to be in a separate place. So how about we set up a subforum in the trade space which is strictly for reputation discussion only? That way if someone wants to post about someone else or if they want feedback about themselves, this can be posted there. That way comments will have a date and a source which makes it much more meaningful. And it might also make people less timid about asking for the rep of a trader they are getting worried about, ie it might prevent some of the logn term scams we've had in the last year or two.

And if someone posts about someone who already ahs a thread then the threads can simply be merged to keep things tidy.

As this would fall within the responsibilities of the trade forum mod or a separate mod for that subforum we would need to discuss that with him or whoever it will be.

Comments?

Torsten, it should be possible to add a new section to the Users Profile near Recent Status, Updates, About Me Topics, Posts, Blog, Gallery. It would just need to be a comments page similar to the built in one except called "Trades" or something. I am not familiar with IPB addons but i am sure there would be something to add new tabs to the user profile.

Although if you are prepared to add a subforum that would work easily, i.e. searchable etc

Edited by DarkSpark

these all sound like really great idea's, but, i remember reading somewhere in regards to false ID's..

Perhaps these "sub-forums" and what not could become visible once your group status is updated by various trades via already x-group status members? ... :unsure:

*goes back to his dark corner and waits*

Edited by FungiFriend

A trade rep thread was started before, I think by someone but it ended up falling over I think, I haven't noticed many new posts to it at least?

Yep. That would have been me.

http://www.shaman-australis.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=27710

I still support some kind of rating system though probably not the one I originally proposed. Something similar to the ideas expressed towards the end of the thread would be a better idea.

Peace

Muskrat

muskrat - first time I've seen that thread as it was posted in the wrong forum.

I am hesitant to do any mods to this software because mods are not supported by tech support and I don't have the time to do the uprades myself anymore. So I prefer to use whatever facilities are available within the core software.