The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Slybacon

Essential Firefox Add-Ons

I recently set up a new laptop and re configured firefox with some add ons for a more optimum experience. Here is some of the things I changed and the Add-Ons I use.

Open Options/Privacy

Disable history.

Tick "I dont want to be tracked" option

Also tick"Suggest Nothing in the Location Bar

Options/Security

Block Reported web Forgeries

Block Reported Attack Sites

Warn Before a website tries to install Add-Ons

Un tick Remember Password

Options/Content

Block Pop Up Windows

Dis able JAVA (turn on when needed)

Essential Add-Ons

No Script

Add Blocker Plus (plus pop ups)

Ghostery

Better Privacy

Show Ip

There is heaps more you can do, but as a minimum I run with these. I hope this helps some looking to set up a more secure browser.

~Boom

• Like 4

Cheers for that mate been looking at more security addons.

Non security wise I recommend mouse gestures, cooliris preview, tab group manager.

I use IDM to manage downloads unless it's a movie or tv show then I use jdownloader :)

I use Ad Block Plus and Ghostery, they're so useful. Will definitely put show IP on the list...

I find essentials include Tree style tabs (if you use lots of tabs, makes it much easier to navigate), Download Statusbar, and TinEye reverse image search (Lets you right click an image and search deep web for matches - helps for finding source). Multi-row bookmarks bar is pretty essential for me too.

Only other I use atm is Fire.fm, which is a last.fm toolbar, very easy to use and helps find music you like :)

Nice Idea for a Thread, Sly. I always wondered about the countless Add Ons but was to lazy to look for it on the Internet. :lol:

whats the purpose of using the first options (under "Open Options/Privacy")

unless you have a shared computer these shouldn't be an issue, the values are stored locally anyway,

i know at least on safari theres an option to turn off autofill forms from address book, i remember reading an old version of safari this option created a back door for hackers to get your personal info, so yeah, autofill forms maybe want to turn off if you're paranoid,,,

Greasemonkey.

Makes life so much easier rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

whats the purpose of using the first options (under "Open Options/Privacy")

unless you have a shared computer these shouldn't be an issue, the values are stored locally anyway,

i know at least on safari theres an option to turn off autofill forms from address book, i remember reading an old version of safari this option created a back door for hackers to get your personal info, so yeah, autofill forms maybe want to turn off if you're paranoid,,,

If its a home computer and its not shared then its not totally necessary. I still do it on my desktop tho as its good computer hygiene. If its a laptop and you travel with it, then its absolutely necessary in my opinion. You don't want some nosey officer making assumptions about your browsing habits. This happens in some countries.

not really essential, but nifty little things nonetheless

lastpass -- saves all your logins and passwords, useful so all your passwords don't need to be the same. you can configure heaps of different privacy settings if you share your comp with other people.

xmarks -- backs up all your bookmarks onto their server. when you lose your hard drive, you realise how fucking annoying it is to havelost something so simple as your music playlists and web bookmarks.

better gmail 2 -- script that makes gmail prettier for you. i no longer use thunderbird as my mail server, i was taking too long to load if i had too many e-mails saved. just have a keyboard shortcut that loads a new window and auto-logins into gmail

stumbleupon -- select your interests and click a button, and it'll randomly find you a website/youtube click that you like. good for when you've got 5 mins to spare and are bored.

youtube mp3 -- download a youtube video clip as an mp3 file. last resort when you can't find a pirated version of a particular track :P

Flashgot.

Which reminds me, when I updated Firefox I lost the FG icon in the lower right corner. Anyone know how to retreive it? Or do I have to reinstall?

WD it may not be compatible yet,check you add on tab and search the vendor site for a possible update.

If its a home computer and its not shared then its not totally necessary. I still do it on my desktop tho as its good computer hygiene. If its a laptop and you travel with it, then its absolutely necessary in my opinion. You don't want some nosey officer making assumptions about your browsing habits. This happens in some countries.

Agreed Sly with the first post regardless(as essentially it is "shared ;)" I use the same stuff and well ^^^^^^ there are also hot spots if you are on Wi-Fi *SLAP* USE hardwires you sheeple!!!!

Heard of WiFi Fog?

Other than that Download Helper :rolleyes:

just exploring around found this:

http://www.eff.org/https-everywhere

probably a good idea in some circumstances, encrypts your google searches too, unfortunately needs the website to implement https, woulod be if the corroboree had that, but not sure how difficult it is to implement,,,

• Like 1

great list , any of you use fox tab multitab viewer ? oi use it lots makes cycling through open pages easy to manage imho

i just downloaded skipscreen, apparently it lets you bypass waiting times and download limits for filesharing sites. i'm using it with tor right now and have several free dl's on the go at once, so give it a shot if thats your thing.

awesome qual, this is handy for me and my naruto obsession, awesomer still if it gets rid of phish things... god damn i hate them so much

Edited by chnt

just be warned it doesn't work that well with some sites. it worked before but now it's stopped.

i'll give it a go anyway.