The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Wanderer

Any late blooms out there for subs?

Hi all, just wondering if anyone out there has been finding any subs lately.. I live in Southwest Vic and this time last year was still getting some late flushes of subs, but over last few weeks have had no sign of them...

I've been expecting it..

due to an early and short fruiting season for subs

and crap all next to nothing for everything else.

I saw one tiny Amanita fruit this year.

And not even 1 agaric or lactarius..

But nope, no late subs from this end.

How about ovoids ready for spring?

they are out there as long as the weather remains nice and damp, best to look around grass patches where they morning mildew collects and waters the mushrooms in my opinion. however they will just be found in exponentially decreasing ammounts. as i said, they are out there if you search hard enough for them, but it might be alot of work for little reward sort of thing.

SA's finished I think, even the 40+mm in the last week doesn't seem to have enticed any.

I guess they didn't appreciate the dry spell inbetween.

How about ovoids ready for spring?

You growing a patch?

Edited by tripsis

You growing a patch?

It's just got me thinking u know. How we wait for the seasons. And watch them so closely.

Natures watching us too. Destiny of other varieties has spread all kinds of life in all kinds of places.

What if a short, early season of one kind.. was really just spurring some urban shaman to drop their study-spores

accidentally and perpetuate life, riding another cycle. Its reverse, interdependent evolution or something :S

But then one would first want to be clear on the implications of that.

It would feel like a huge responsibility..and whatever is thought can be proven..

but wouldn't it be cool?

And then if you considered subaeruginiascens, I think you could potentially have the same woodchip areas fruiting many times per year..

You know it's funny you mention this, my favourite patch, which i first discovered last year, was fruiting these very special mushrooms in one area alone. I got them identified as subaeruginosa by people in the know, however, they were very different from the generic subaeruginosa. generally the normal subaeruginosa has the caramel-ish brown top. these ones i were finding had a very distinctive dark brown top, that dried out to a strong golden colour, at first i thought they were 'ovoids', but they don't grow in my city as far as i am aware. and they were short and stumpy with thicker stems, and the bluing reaction would occur much faster. i am sure they were a psilocybe, and i noticed that they were alot more potent also (but maybe that is just psychosomatic).

The interesting thing is that, this season, the same mushrooms were no where to be seen, in the exact same patch, at the exact same time. all season i was waiting for the patch to start fruiting, and there was nothing springing up! much to my dismay. it got me thinking that possibly the powers that be had stopped sporing the particular area, or something had happened inbetween the time from the last season to current to destroy the patch. Because they were definately different to the generic subaeruginosa, and i had never seen anything like them before in pictures of mushrooms from my city.

Edited by dosileflynn

Mud, it is thought that oviodeocystidiata is synonymous with subaeruginascens.

I saw a random one near mount dandenong a few weeks back but now mushrooms of any kind are pretty rare. I did see a yellow bellied glider last night though and man that was awesome!

Ovoids in Australia? Really?

I saw a random one near mount dandenong a few weeks back but now mushrooms of any kind are pretty rare. I did see a yellow bellied glider last night though and man that was awesome!

You are very lucky to see a Yellow Bellied Glider - it is not easy to do so.

They are incredible - I have a family of them living near my house. Their Donald Duck-like calls are most enjoyable.

Ovoids in Australia? Really?

why not?

The conditions have to be there at some stage in the season.

I takes more than perfect conditions for a particular species to turn up. If there are competitor fungi and fauna they won't establish. If the conditions come in the wrong timing and sequence they won't have the same effect as just simply correct temp and moisture levels. And if the spores ain't around, they ain't around. Otherwise I'd be collecting Boletus edulis in Oberon every year, and there would be truffles under every oak in Tassie. Not that I'm saying there aren't any Psilocybe oviodeocystidiata/subaeruginascens in Australia; it's just that I have only ever heard of them in the context of North America.

That's awesome if they are around though. From some pictures I've seen, they look like pretty handsome little mushrooms.

I think mud is implying cultivation of them here.

Oh, and Zen, you are very lucky to have seen a yellow bellied glider! I would love to see one in the wild.

I think mud is implying cultivation of them here.

Ah. Of course. Excuse my thick skull. :BANGHEAD2:

dosileflynn: I hear you, I found a patch once similar to what you describe, I used to find heaps there then all of a sudden one season they disappear for good, could be from other people destroying the patch or who knows maybe other reasons.

subaeruginoscens myc is here and established, but no fruit yet :(

dosileflynn: I hear you, I found a patch once similar to what you describe, I used to find heaps there then all of a sudden one season they disappear for good, could be from other people destroying the patch or who knows maybe other reasons.

Most likely reason is that they have broken down all the available subrate, and used all the nutrients they need within that given area.

Although new material may be added to the top, you will find that added material may need a season or two to be broken down by primary decomposers to a level sufficient from the mycelium to access the nutrients its after. my experince is that they will break down the subtrate at a far quicker rate than new material can be added.

i've seen it happen time and time again to various spots.

but other fasctors may be at play too. a change in the water table, or sufficient abuse by people collecting, if the area is well known. and i suspect animals may also have an effect if they are digging the area up.

Cheers, Obtuse.