The Corroboree
gogogadget

needed tbm advice

hi all, i've started 15 seedlings of the tbm cacti and had a few questions if anyone could help out it would be much appreciated, i started them via the takeaway tek like every cacti i grow, when now they are hitting the plastic and the stems are pink, is this normal with new tbm sprouts, i was also wondering if i need plastic humidity dome for this var like with willys, i have taken off the plastic wrap for a few hours until i figure this out, do i just prop up plastic with sticks and re-wrap? i don't want to kill this batch as they are going strong, Regards, Ando

ps. sorry no pics my camera shat itself.

i've started 15 seedlings of the tbm cacti

Seriously? Wow, I didn't think they flowered. Cool.

Can you go into detail about what you meant by TBM? I find it hard to believe that you are talking about the penis plant.

abandoned

Edited by dworx

well all criticism aside, that's what it said on the packet, i guess we will know when they grow up, i just trade and plant, no bullshit here, more info you say, i really cant think of anything else i could add apart from how old they are and that is 2-3 weeks.

Edited by gogogadget

Unless TBM means something else as well, they are not TBMs, and if you bought seeds that were claimed to be from a penis plant then I think you got ripped off. Not to say that they might not turn out to be really nice cacti, but things should be labelled accurately.

may have been a monstrose columnar form of bridgesii. keep us updated on their progress1

If not within oz, maybe there is a clone overseas that does flower, although I hjave never hear of it. Do u mean Trichocereus bridgesii mostrose?

Yeah, if it's legit it would be very interesting indeed. But, though it would be a nice clone to have, it is worth questioning whether offspring would necessarily possess the same deformity. Even if only one in one-thousand did, it could produce an amazing variety of different mutations.

i am still learning and yes it was named (Trichocereus bridgesii monstrose), i thought it was the "penis plant" i think from reading your posts it may be different?, that sucks but none the less i have some awesome offspring, cranking away, i think i'll plastic wrap them again as per other cacti i have seeding as we speak.

ps, sorry for any mis confusion if any.

Edited by gogogadget

i got them from a trade on the ethno thread, im pretty sure it was a replacement trade, but i know it was a traded seed, not bought from a store, so in thus case it could be anything but i was very much hoping it was as i mentioned.

cool, hopefully they are the real deal. Only time will tell. Keep us updated with some pics

they could easily be TBM seeds of a form that does flower, and only one form has been reported to be reluctant to flower.

pics or it didn't happen :P

Yeah a pic would be nice, I've been searching for ages and never found even one TBM flowering pic.

i think we may have crossed wires, these are seedlings 2-3 weeks old, but certainly when i get a new sd card i will update pics perhaps i can get noshi to bring his camera down on the weekend.

I was talking to Archaea :wink:

We don't mean yours silly, we mean any picture of a flowering TBM.

hahaha philo.

What's up with the vivid red colouration? I have red coloured cacti seedlings but not to such extremes.

yea i know, here is a pic of my willy right next to them and some ss02 x yowie, one sec.

ps, they dont get 2 much light perhaps 5 hours of diffused light but never had a problem even have leaf cuts sprouting, very wierd.

http://imageshack.us/g/13/img0090xk.jpg/

Edited by gogogadget

they could easily be TBM seeds of a form that does flower, and only one form has been reported to be reluctant to flower.

If only one form has been reluctant to flower, perhaps you'll post pics of all the other forms flowering?

If they could easily be TBM seeds of a form that does flower, does that mean those flowers are self fertile?

• Like 1

I don't have any photographs of TBM flowering.

I was told that only the so called clone B has not been observed flowering but that the other forms do when they get large enough.

the person who told me this is a commercial grower of cacti and said they had seen TBM's flower.

Also a large number of bridgesii plants have an on and off monstrose habit.

I've seen this occur in seed grown plants.

There is no reason to have so much doubt and distrust, it could easily occur.

Edited by Archaea