The Corroboree
Rabaelthazar

Why did we lose our fur?

I was pretty cold last night and snuggling in bed doing some introspective thinking and my mind wandered to the question... "Why did we lose our fur?"

Assuming we did evolve from an earlier form of primate, what do you think was the evolutionary reason for us shedding our fur? I have to admit that I certainly like the look of a hairless female, and my wife doesn't even really it when I go a week without a shave, but at the moment, with the temperatures dropping, I wouldn't mind a nice thick coat of fur.

Any thoughts?

Bahaha. Good question. Some people do have more 'fur' than others though, and I've never understood why men are so attracted to hairless women, most people are repulsed at the sight of hairless dogs hahaha!

Until society gets over their bald fetishes tho, I guess i'm resigned to removing any unwanted fur like the majority of western females :P

Edited by meeka

Meeka, do you think women attracted to hairless men ? Speaking body hair. As time goes on, there appears to be more and more males who go the clean-shave chest and other body parts. I even saw a special in a shop last might next to the place we dined - MEN'S SPECIAL - CHEEKS & NECK $55!

Frankly I think it makes guys look a bit juvenile (not youthful - just like pre-pubescent boys), and I wonder if it's done out of some collective male vanity, or due to the changing tastes of the ladies. Or maybe one drives the other.

I'll keep my manly forest of chest hair, if that's OK with you pretty boys :) Altghough it hardly keeps me toasty in the winter, I'm bloody freezing right now !

my thinking is that as humans we began to not need as much "fur" after the invention of fire or maybe after the last ice age when the climate started to warm the less hairy humans adapted quicker. or maybe..... damn you Rabaelthazar now you've got me pondering :lol:

Bahaha. Good question. Some people do have more 'fur' than others though, and I've never understood why some men are so attracted to hairless women, most people are repulsed at the sight of hairless dogs hahaha!

Until society gets over their bald fetishes tho, I guess i'm resigned to removing any unwanted fur like the majority of western females :P

Edited for accuracy!

As for hair on men, I'm sure there are still women out there who go for the rugged masculine type too. Seriously, who wouldn't want to run their fingers through Tom Selleck's chest hair? There are certainly norms in society, but there's also deviation from those norms. I think it's best not to alter the way you look to appeal to other people, for the simple reason that someone out there will be attracted to you the way you are, and perhaps that person is more suited to you than the person who is attracted to the image you're presenting. Having said that, having a girlfriend, I don't have a huge amount of choice in the way I look. Having facial hair in particular would be nice for the winter, but doesn't go down too well at home, lol.

Lol what that comment, edited for accuracy? I initially used a made up word so I went back and edited. :lol:

Nah men should keep their hair on their head and their body any darn way they please as should women. I'd never tell anyone otherwise but maybe that's just me. Getting back to the fur question, why indeed are we relatively hairless as humans? Evolutionists please explain. :P

My wife refuses to let me shave my moustache. For much of the year I have a beard attachment too. She likes hairy.

Additionally, my wife seldom shaves her legs, pits and other parts. I like hairy.

You people and your hairlessness are a bunch of kiddy fiddlers in denial. :lol:

As a funny side note, I found these comments on some people's views of hairy women. Lol!!!

www.yelp.com/topic/los-angeles-men-would-you-date-a-lady-with-hairy-ass-cheeks

I had a few thoughts, but it kept coming back to the chicken and the egg thing.

I mean, we don't need fur because we have permanent shelters and wear clothes, but did we start wearing clothes because of a lack of fur or did we adapt our bodies after we started wearing clothes?

Again, did we have the need to build permanent, stronger shelters because we are more susceptible to the cold or did we shed our fur because our shelter technology made it unnecessary?

By the way, when I say I like hairless women - well, I am a bit fond of pubic hair (except when it gets stuck in my teeth) and I'm even ok with natural armpit hair... I just don't get excited about a woman with shag pile hair on her back and chest, you know what I mean?

Yeah I think I know what ya mean, R. Something like this, maybe? :lol:

Lol what that comment, edited for accuracy? I initially used a made up word so I went back and edited. :lol:

Lol. No, I mean I edited your comment in my quote of you, because what you said is a generalisation that isn't always true.

That'll teach me to skim posts on forum eh ballzac, although old habits do die hard. :blush:

For a moment there I thought you were psychic :P

It's a good question. Fire would probably have played a role, but it seems moving from the forest and to the plains was an important turning point. Perhaps fur was unneeded in the heat of the African savannah, although by that logic, all animals that inhabit the African savannah should be furless.

We shouldn't underestimate the power of sexual selection too. For all we know, it could be entirely due to sexual selection! If our primitive tastes were for more hairless individuals and those traits were consistently selected for, then over several generations, hairiness would have been bred out.

Personally I like hairless women (and hairless or less hairy men are definitely more attractive too). There's something very attractive about a completely unhindered view (by hair) of a beautiful pussy. Also, not having pubes tickling my face is great. But with that said, I have nothing wrong with hairy snatches, pits or legs. After all, variation is the spice of life, right?

• Like 1

You people and your hairlessness are a bunch of kiddy fiddlers in denial.

It took me a few seconds of confusion to realise that didn't mean children playing fiddles :P

My girlfriend doesn't like it when I shave, though now I amuse myself by shaving unexpectedly and having her moan about it for 10 minutes. I don't mind either way, shaven is cleaner seeming, smooth, but unshaven feels natural, it's how you're meant to be eh? If I had to pick though, I probably would lean towards shaven. A little bit of OCD on my part.

I would think with the development, that the clothes came on after fire, initially during cooler weather only, and as we utilised them, the need for hair died off. It seems ridiculous to me that any animal would evolve to become less adapted to its climate, requiring it to wear the skins of other animals and build homes to keep out the weather.

EDIT: Humm I didn't think of sexual selection. That could have played a rather large role...

Edited by Sheather

It seems ridiculous to me that any animal would evolve to become less adapted to its climate, requiring it to wear the skins of other animals and build homes to keep out the weather.

I think it's likely that we didn't evolve to become less adapted for our environment, rather we lost our fur in hot climates, then extended our range to cooler climes where clothing was needed. Then came the cultural need for clothes, to cover our genitalia, even in hot climes where clothing is not necessary.

Bahahaha. Blame google. :P

Ah, evolutionary biology... just my thang!

The most plausible explanation I have seen so far for human 'hairlessness' has to do with the fact that we apparently evolved as persistence hunters. It explains our very fancy thermoregulation via sweating, our bipedalism including our (comparatively) huge buttocks and legs, our use of verbal language and visual/written symbology, and basically why we have such large brains.

Personally, it would take a very convincing alternative theory to sway me. Aquatic apes? Naaahhh...

On hairlessness fetishes - erk! Like Marcel says, there's more than a little element of attraction to pre-pubescence in that, even if it is buried in cultural reinterpretation. I like a girl to have her secondary hair, and if she is brave enough not to shave her legs, all the better.

I guess I'd baulk at a hairy back though, and I do get the teeth thing...

shifty.gif

• Like 1

why did we lose it?

Well the Beta version had it, but the fur didn't do well with the focus groups so there was a massive recall on the furry models (pandemic flood) and then the new less furry models were propagated.

We never had hair (im talking pre earth history), we are re settled extra terrestrial beings and i never met a hairy alien.

The hair we do grow is due to their genetic cross breeding experiments over time, the whole planet is just some et experiment

Edited by El presidente Hillbillios

If we are to accept that the first homosapiens lived on the hot plains of Africa (as fossil records might suggest) then the outbreeding of furryness would have been due to extreme heat of a sun beating down on the savannahs.

A theory that was thrown around in the science community about 10 years ago is that the first homosapiends led a semiaquatic life, and the lack of fur was for better performance underwater They also suggest the almost 'webbing' aspect of our skin between our fingers supports this.

As for Tom Selleck's soaking crotch, I didn't immediately gaze at his buldge in fascination for minutes when finding that page, honest. :blush:

I think anyone who spends time reading up on the so called junk DNA, should see that DNA manipulation is a very real thing

I like tripsis' theory on attraction the best.

A big alpha male thought that a freak woman who was born with less hair was more attractive than other hairy women, so he bred with her and killed the others he thought didn't look as good. Generations and generations go by, selective breeding by subjective attractiveness takes place and eventually there are very little homonids covered in hair.

As for why we shave our hair off now and put clothes on... I feel that's our need as a society to distance ourserves from our animal heritage, to lie to ourselves and say we are better. The sheer thought that we are the same as animals repulses us so much that it doesn't even enter our head as a posibility. So we spend extra time grooming ourselves to distance ourselves from our past. Turns out all we're doing is running away from ourselves and our depression from losing touch with ourselves surfaces in unexpected ways such as schizophrenia and psychosis for example.

But that's offtopic and has no real factual basis with reality...