The Corroboree
basalamant

Psychadelic music recs?

Hey was wondering if anybody knows some good psytrance or hey, even general psychadelic music artists out there in the world from recent times that they would like to recommend me? It seems all the greats were around in the 90s and that was the prime of the day, but I DO know there are good artists out there, so it would help if you could recommend some here that'd be helpful :)

Psychedelic* Just realised I spelt that wrong, I always do that.

Edited by basalamant

Shpongle.

• Like 1

I like this track, trying to find more from the artist as we speak :)

ok look up,, grouch ,,tom cosm, bliss, bubble, hypnagog ,crazy ducks, positive thaught,, bubble ,eskimo ,, mr bill,, circut bent, electrypnose , green nuns of the revolution ,rampage, ovnimoon,switch, quench,pain killer, weblet ,taya , the list goes on theres hundreds of amazing artists our there their all got their own lil signiture in their music just some i can think of from top of my head hit me up i might write out a list from my folders :PP i hope this helps its not music its an art and a feeling and a train of thaught

I like this track, trying to find more from the artist as we speak :)

Yeah this is good. I'm so sick of modern goa being all the same; 170bpm, same build up, same structure, etc just not itneresting when you download 5 different artists debuts and they're all basically the exact same thing... This is good though, thanks a bunch :)

you should check out aphex twins analord series, some of the best little acids tracks i've heard,

Hey was wondering if anybody knows some good psytrance or hey, even general psychadelic music artists out there in the world from recent times that they would like to recommend me? It seems all the greats were around in the 90s and that was the prime of the day, but I DO know there are good artists out there, so it would help if you could recommend some here that'd be helpful :)

old psytrance is great but it really doesn't compare to newer stuff. what style are you into?

Shpongle.

i would have said shpongle too

I dispute the fact that psytrance is indeed psychedelic - more mechanised throbbing with weird samples every 8 bars. And so much of it was heavily derived from earlier stuff mainly from Rising High records for mine.

You cant go passed Syd barrett mate.

If you're willing to spread your wings, so to speak, and move to psychedelic music outside of the goa/trance/psy/electronic beats idiom, I highly recommend the following:

- Stars of the Lid (Just recently discovered them; they're a contemporary ambient-drone sort of band. Incredible!)

- Balmorhea (Contemporary ambient-ish band similar to the above, but less droning.)

- Olafur Arnalds (Contemporary Icelandic composer with minimalist-classical sound, but with an electronic edge.)

- Klaus Schulze (German Krautrock from the 70's and 80's: minimalist electro psychedelia old skool style!)

- Popol Vuh (German Krautrock from the 70's-80's. The soundtrack to Herzog's "Heart of Glass" was made for (at times intense) tripping.)

- Morton Feldman (American 20th century composer. If you haven't tripped to his "Rothko Chapel", you've never really tripped at all. As close to God as you'll get.)

- Oregon and Paul Winter Consort (70's world-jazz bands. A million cultures and influences all in one song 30 years before Sphongle's "Divine Moments of Truth".)

- Ghazal ("The Rain" is the best album. Minimalist classical Indian music with a distinct Persian influence. Beautiful and heart-stirring stuff.)

Good thread, by the way!

Popol Vuh

:)

edit

Psychadelic......don't know tho, more electtric

Edited by etherealdrifter

Psychedelic can be a diverse range of things, my friend.

I guess we do.

Hurrah!

:)

Try for Dark Nebula - Wierd sound generator.

I love that album. Melbourne DJ

Wicked Hayo is a like an out of control chaotic pulsing cartoon movie adventure in my ears.

Spoonbill is also local and very fun

Talpa! I love talpa. Its all squiggly with goblins and juicy noises.

All of those suggestions, of course, require high volume to get full appreciation of the soundscape :) it should be heard and felt, if not seen. Ever seen sound? Thats freaking loud!

If you're after Psytrance, I'd recommend checking out this entire album (Withcraft - Sandman), a bit different and really well produced. Well underrated.

If you're after good tripping music, these two albums are the bomb, especially when combined with animations with the volume on zero - I recommend Coraline!!! :wink:

Amon Tobin - Permutation

AIM - Flight 602

hmmm... not allowed to post three clips in one post? Anyway, you can check it out if you're interested.

Also.. If you like shpongle, have you checked out Simon Posford, and Infinity Project (also Simon Posford) Younger brother (also Simon Posford)?

Interestingly, I saw a documentry from the 70's on a tribe called the Kogi who apparently lived isolated from modern life, they referred to themselves as the older brothers living in harmony with the land, and modern man as the younger brother, who was running amok and going to destroy the world.

In the doco, they quoted a conquistador (Rodrigo De Bastidas 1460) arriving in South America:

I assure you That with the help of god I will let war on you in every place And in every way that I can And I will subject you to the yoke and obedience of the church And I will take your peasants and women and your children And I will make them slaves And I will do all the evils and harms which I can

Which also happens to be the words to track three of A flock of beeps.

I was amused.

Edited by niggles

a lot of playpus record is great,tsuyoshi suzuki-joujouka,track called aoki uru is a standout,on matsuri recs, i used to play a lot(used to be very involved in outdoor parties),blue planet corp on flying rhino,any oliver lieb(lsg stuff) and for some real early ninties the orb by the orb or orbitals brown album(samples outa that classic movie, withnail and i,"even a stopped clock reads the right time twice a day",dreamfish by dreamfish

personally i think psy trance tries too hard to be psy most of the time,too much going on at once,messy too mix,if you want a great trance jurney somthing like the first northern exposure mixed by sasha an digweed ,came out round 96 i think,bloody beautiful and not anywhere near as fast as yor average psy trance,a lotta good acid trance can be found on labels like smitten as well more minimal in style than psy,which as i said can get a bit over the top if you ask me,noom records for acid trance ,in particular the first one to 20 releases have some

belters and then theres the stuff by sven vath and various other artists on harthouse records and eyeQ records