Jump to content
The Corroboree
  • 0
ubza_1234

what the hell is that white [email protected]

Question

this lil guy was picked with this white stuff on it. Normally i wouldnt worry about it, but i'm worried abour the dreaded paralizing white mould!

So guys, whats the go?

post-4552-0-60251800-1305190100_thumb.jp

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

10 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 0

when in doubt chuck it out

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

I agree with Quill, it's not worth the risk.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Paralising white mould?! What the hell is that?!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Possibly just bits of the veil?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Paralising white mould?! What the hell is that?!

my mate didnt dry his shrooms propperly. It grew a mould on it but he didnt see it so he ate it anyway. Next thing he knew he was draggin his arms and legs around like a zombie, partialy paralized from the neck down. No long term damage but he said it wasnt fun. Later his mate said, "oh, btw dont eat those shrooms, they have mould on tthem" "ya... I know..."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Subs are notorious for causing temporary paralysis and spasms. It could just be the subs that caused this...Alternatively, perhaps the other cases of paralysis are due to small amounts of mould. You could be onto something. Who's up for some bioassays :devil:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Mushrooms when exposed to sufficient humidity will revert back into tertiary mycelium. A good mould test is to get a cotton bud, or in this case something not coloured white and wipe the believed to be affected area. If the colour rubs off onto your cotton bud then it's mould and it's sporulating.

Could you get a better picture of the mushoom cap? Unfortunately your thumb is the focal point of that photo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Distracted is right. And subs, being woodlovers, are known to occasionally have paralysing effects. As far as I've read, there's no unanimous theory for this phenomena. One suggestion is high baeocystin levels. There's mould on numerous things you'll eat today (bread, fruit, rice, cheese, nuts etc; all in varying degrees), and it generally doesn't lead to paralysis. If anything, it's usually nausea and gastro that follow the consumption of large amounts of mould.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

the paralysing effects occur in all wood lovers exclusively and Id suggests its probably caused by a semi-neuro-toxic metabolite of their lignious substrate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×