The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Zen Peddler

Writers block

its like rather than no ideas I have too many options - everything is in my head but nothing I create does it justice. its very frustrating. Six days off work and I should be utlising it but instead its all a downer... whether I write or I compose, everything just seems shit and no where near what it should be...

Nothing seems to help - caffeine makes it worse maybe, alcohol does as well, maybe I should just give up?

Chasing my tail endlessly here...

I think a break of a day or two could be helpful, try not to stress too much and just chill out a little bit. I don't think there are many reasons to give up, a little block least of all. Afraid I don't have that much advice to give, normally I will only write when it comes to me. Otherwise I'm a reader.

Maybe caring less I guess would help... but obsessing seems to be the way I approach it now days. usually works ok but its like you get so in to it you cant even tell whether its shit or good...

Good things take time. Great things happen all at once.

:)

Edited by βluntmuffin

`

Edited by Magicdirt

Yeah you have to tease out 2 factors: the generation of the idea, and it's subsequent being-messed around with by the internal editor as it tries to articulate itself.

I too have had writers block for many years, but in the last year I have written enough material for about 2 novels, and a book of poetry. The trick for me was not to find something that enhanced my inner creativity (PEA plus selegeline - dopamine/ NE dumping) but finding something that turned off the inner editor. Zopiclone works wonders for this, and is fairly readily obtainable as a prescription from your GP. I have heard similar reports of this effect from zolpidem, but it is shorter acting, and frankly I don't recall anything of the sort happening on Zolpidem. Interestingly, normal BZP's (oxazepam, temazepam, clonazepam) don't seem to share this effect, although I have a feeling that valium might. A bit of alcohol added to the zopiclone enhances the effect.

But you gotta be careful, otherwise the writing can come out too dreamlike or "theta-state-ish" near the end if you don't maintain a grip.

Hey Meanie, i´m a writer since almost 15 years now and i totally feel you. Actually, theres not that much you can do. When i dont know what to write, i just randomly pick the storyline that has the best marketing potential and work on the characterisation of the characters. You need at least 6 big pages of character details for the main roles of a novel or a book in order to avoid running out of material. They need a real background with real problems, mistakes, faults, etc. People love reading about the faults of others so thats always a great way to give someone depth. When im done with that, i work on great dialogues. If you are blocked, you can just randonly work on the most important conversations of the book. Writing is hard work and most writers have to work on their material like a craftsman. Firt you need your concpt. Like "Where am i and where do i want to go". And then you work your way around that.

Sometimes it also helps to read newspapers if you just want another touching or interesting story or sidestory. If its an interesting newsline, it can sometimes make a nice chapter in the book if you work it into the story. Whats your book about? Fiction or non-fiction? bye Eg

Edited by Evil Genius

No way man. Just start writing on Zopiclone and your style will come to you, I guarantee it.

asdfasdfdfsd

Edited by Teljkon

thanks guys!

My biggest problem is just having too much going on at once. Instead of one idea id walk into the room and try and work on ten at once and get totally confused, do none of them justice and then not being able to see the good stuff from the shite...

The way I seem to work is that I go through random periods of great output and then periods that are longer where i get stuck taking a to the next level or getting b to express the basic idea of a in a way that does it justice.

Here im actually talking about both writing in the literal sense and in terms of composing music. The other fault i have is spending months on something that one day I realise was never good in the first place and was just some self-indulgent shit that was pointless and then putting aside something that was much more promising while I just 'get crappie out of the way'. A bit obsessing about finishing things some times mainly because when i was young i rarely finished anything...

the other thing is because I seem to have lost teh ability to filter the shite from the ok, i tend to be overly sensitive to other's comments even when late i realise they are bullshit... Ginseng inspired me a bit, then some beers and a j.

Edited by Zen Peddler BlueGreenie

could always try a nice qat chewing sesh, i cant verify it but i remember reading somewhere that in africa/middle east one it was used for study and writing, the thing is its much like phets in the way that one while up may have grandiose plans and brilliant ideas, yet the next morning it was all mainly empty and shallow talk with no motivation left to actually pursue what may(or may not) have been good ideas at the time.

without drugs one could possibly use the sheldon theory. strangely it kind of works i feel too............the best ideas always come when the person is doing boring tasks like mopping/dishes etc.

yea writers block is a bitch, i bet some of the best writers of all time didnt even get pen to paper cos of the block.

i reckon alot of it comes down to self doubt, just put pen to paper anyway even if you think it shit content. if you write a page a day or even half a page a day then it only takes a year or so to write an average length book.

take these two books for example...............i just read ''the lovely bones''...............honestly it was just verbal dioreahh, its was pretty obvious to me the author just babbled and babbled and babbled.......and she sold a million copies of meaningless prose.

the best book i feel for an author to base his style on is W H Davies. man this guy was a beggar and his writing style was deemed as both simplistic but well constructed...read "The Autobiography of a Supertramp" for his unique, agreeable and basic writing style.

also lots of writers employ editors and ghostwriters if you wanna cheat....................all these imposter writers like Shane Warne and John Howard, pretty much any celeb just get some dude to ask them questions and they answers the questions and simply having a conversation is then edited and created into a book. i know this is a cheats method but i bet half the books out there were not even written by the author. dont you find it curious any B grade celeb suddenly has a book selling 50000 copies when they probably cant even name the vowels in the alphabet................ghostwriters.

if you do write a book it will just get edited to the doghouse anyway so it doesnt even matter if it doesnt make perfect sense.........the editors will just make sense of the rubbish and add and take out bits anyway.

the easiest answer is just to put pen to paper every day regardless of how you feel about the content, this will get you into the habit soon enough and it wont feel so alien to do so. worst case scenario 2 years later just pick up all your bits and print them, get an agent because most publishers wont even touch a copy without it being given by an agent...........see what they say, let them edit the crap outta it and make it look pretty..............hey presto you have a book.

sdfgsdfsdf

Edited by Teljkon

i would also take a stab at a brainwave generator for writers block.

the jury is out on if they really work or not, bineaural beats etc....after i posted last night i had a look around the net and there is a bucket load of specific writers block generators around.

i didnt link any cos they are easy to find and im not going to recommend potential rubbish but some of them looked quite interesting and with my limited experimentation with BG's some do seem to do something, im not sure what................after listening to one i suddenly got the urge to drive to the markets and buy a toffee apple (i dont do apples), which was very yummy.

so if logic doesnt seem to work................go the BG for a bit of trial and error.

hjkjhfjkfjkfhjdfkfhhjkfhjkfhjhfjkfhjhfkjfhjkfjhfjkhjhfjkjhfjkhjfhjkfjkhjkfhjfhjfhjkfhjkhkhfjkfhjkfhjkhkfhjkfhjkhfjkhfjkfhjkfhkfhjkhfjkkhjkhkjhjkffhkhjfhjkhfjkhfjkhjhjkfhjkfhjkfhjkhhf

i'm into spontaneity, and altered states of course.

who cares if it doesn't make sense, nothing doesn't make sense, in the right context or state of mind. (and/or, respectively)

be experimental, be minimal, employ post-minimalism - (anti-minimalism, complex-minimalism, i-want-to-see-the-clouds-fall-from-the-sky-i-wanted-to-see-the-sun-rain-into-the-mountains-i-wanting-the-stars-to-melt-and-form-one-big-homogeneous-landslide-into-a-lonely-puddle-of-murky-water-minimalism)

do anything you want, do nothing, be nothing.

Find an ending, but don't cheat, and don't you dare bring in a deus ex machina.

here's something i preparingness earlier (c. 2009): (see attachment) BoC unfinished story.doc(attainment)

qhnt()

edit: changed embedded video, not sure why but the wrong one was posted.

BoC unfinished story.doc

BoC unfinished story.doc

Edited by chnt

try something like piracetam. i find it's quite good for focus/creativity (but i drink too much so any good gets cancelled out pretty quick).

try something like piracetam. i find it's quite good for focus/creativity (but i drink too much so any good gets cancelled out pretty quick).

how would i go about getting some of this? gp? psych? what symptoms would i need to present?

thanks

i order mine over the internet. strictly speaking you need a prescription, but i got mine without. www.cerebralhealth.com/brainhealthsupplements.php is my current supplier.

more info:

www.longecity.org/forum/topic/43394-nootropics-thread-index/

thanks qualia, just ordered some.

can you tell me how long it generally takes to arrive?

best advice i can think of

bukowski_1%20%28Custom%29.jpg

about 3 weeks or so.

thanks man.

hopefully this will improve my studies.