The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
apothecary

wiki

Hi.

Thought I'd start a new thread because the old one was clunky and full of useless posts by me.

Just thought I'd update on the situation.

Basically, I suck. I feel really guilty because I haven't contributed anything to the community in a while (except some whining) and have basically just been running around doing my own thing.

For example, smogs made seedring.org integrate quite nicely with the wiki, and I've basically left it alone so god knows how many link have been clicked that went nowhere, and the two probably didn't make the impact they should have (I blame me).

That will change. What I've realised that running around and doing my own thing is nowhere near as rewarding as giving whatever I can to the community.

I have some other projects I want to start up, but for now the wiki is priority #1.

Whoever owns the username FunkyFungus (Rev I'm assuming), thankyou for the chunk of info you put up. It was a bit messed up syntax wise, but it's still great info.

That's it for now. Expect a lot less whining from me and a lot more of the good stuff.

EDIT: Some people have asked for the url, which is www.ethnobotanica.org/wiki

[ 24. May 2005, 10:58: Message edited by: apothecary ]

Well, I've contributed small amounts where I could. But unfortunately I am still at the stage where half the posts on the forum are still teaching me something new. So, I'm not really the guy to be contributing HEAPS to the wiki.

It's a great idea, and simple to use, so I really do hope some more people get in on it?

Trout, you out there? hehehe. :D

Like to forget about actual funded, legitimate research projects for a little while? Maybe just go grassroots, and forget about trying to feed yourself for a bit?

(Yes, that was wishful thinking) :)

edit: Hey Apo, everytime I go to check the wiki, I can never remember the URL. Could you include it in your post above?

Maybe we can get a link off one of the main SAB community pages?

[ 24. May 2005, 07:04: Message edited by: Benzito ]

i'd love to contribute! but unfortunately all the stuff that i know others know that litrtle bit xtra and can post a more detailed description so ill leave it to the more knowlegable of u lot :D

psycho - many poeple just like to add and correct. so post your stuff and someone will come along and improve on it. that's the nature of wiki. It's the getting started bit that seems difficult, so if that is your contribution then you are miles ahead.

i thought i would take the time to say thanks apoth for all the work you have done

:)

Me too me too thanks apoth!

I haven't contributed cos I know less than you think :)

Thanks are not needed.

Darklight, you at least know how to do a tissue culture, which means a lot. I don't think many people know how to do that.

should wack that tissue culture thread up there darklight. apoth is there a way to start new headings ie for a plant that isnt there or a faq about solvents etc, or do we havta get you to do it.

Nope you just hit edit wherever you want it to go.

For example, want a new category on the main page, hit edit, and add one in the same format as the others.

Click save, the link will show up as red. Click the link and it'll ask you to edit it :)

so say i want to add a new procedure how do i do it??

do i go to chem procedures and click edit?

then type it in and save changes or wot?

thanx

aaron

so say i wanted to do a write up o f a lotus procedure would i click on edit in traditional uses? as it's not a traditional way of uysing

thanx

[ 25. May 2005, 01:46: Message edited by: psycho0 ]

psycho0, you just click the edit link up the top of the page.

It'll show you the text of the entire page, and you can see how it's structured.

For example, you go to Nymphaea spp., click edit up the top, then go down past

== Traditional Uses ==

Blahblah

and you add

== Performing an extraction on lotus ==

Put your info here

Then click save, and it'll be automagically added to the table of contents.

If you don't understand how to use anything guys, the best way to learn is to simple click edit on a similar page and see how it works. Next to the Save button at the bottom of the edit page is an "Editing help" link that explains the wiki markup.

Don't be too afraid of breaking things, because I can roll back all changes made or at least fix things up :)

[ 25. May 2005, 01:58: Message edited by: apothecary ]

thanx mate!

ill try to add something soon!

aaron

i just added a little on xtract ing lily/lotus

hope u enjoy it! :D

apoth, why not put up a test page where shy people can practice?

I thought that was the point of posting guidlines :(

Some people have already edited that page to figure it out...it isn't my fault if people don't read the line that says "Read this before posting!" heh :P

teonanacatl:

should wack that tissue culture thread up there  

Yeah I did think about it, but it is a shitload of work... a wiki to itself, and I don't have time, sorry. If anyone wants to have a go at running thru my TC posts here and putting that in, it will answer individual questions but not be enough to provide complete information as a wiki really does