The Corroboree
qualia

what to do with those little foam

i got an xbox through my uni for some work and the box it came in has thousands of those little foam bead things,

i wan't to get rid of them but not sure how to do it properly, don't just want to put them in the bin

cheeers,

Depending on the beads, some will dissolve when exposed to water. Good on you for thinking about the environment.

they may be the ones made from starch - which you could just water them into the garden ( give them a lick and see i they stick together) or they could be polystyrene - which you can hold onto until you need to pack a cacti cutting or something similar and send them to someone else ;)

if they are the starch ones , lick them and stick the ends together to make little people. ( I used to do this instead of working when I 'worked' in retail. )

whaddya know they do dissolve in water, huh

synchromesh, do you live in oz?

thanks everyone

Edited by qualia

You can eat the starch ones.

This is something I used to do when I worked in retail to kill time.

Not terribly delicious. In fact, verging on horrible but I've actually found them packaged in a foil bag, seasoned with MSG and paprika and sold for 70 cents in an asian grocery.

So... you could even turn a profit if you put your mind to it. If I remember the name of the packaged snacks overnight I'll repost tomorrow.

If you've got UV paint, you could soak them in that, thread through them with needles and make strings of sick-looking floating things to dangle anywhere you enjoy psychedelic voyages.

`

Edited by Magicdirt

The school that my kids go to have an after school/occasional care building were they run different activities to entertain the kids over the holidays. One year they did a winter theme with shit loads of polystyrene ball everywhere....Of course, they were never cleaned up properly and are still lying around and will be forever. #^~*^#~+

so frustrating hey. water bomb fights are one although i'm not sure what's the deal with rubber stuff, does some of it have plastics incorporated? rubber degrades right?

i don't think the global human consciousness has really come to consider the implications of plastic.

as a picker up of rubbish, i actually detest most of all the plastic that quickly breaks down into little pieces. you go to pick it up and short of using a shovel and collecting a kilo of topsoil, there's no hope, that mcdonalds coke lid is part of the wider environment now.

Yeah, balloons aren't so bad, but the latex does become a sticky mess upon breaking down . What about chewing gum, that stuff sticks around for a while.

i don't care if it takes 20 years to break down, i'd fill the environment with degrading stuffs if it meant less eternal plastic.

what are some plastic-y seeming products that aren't eternal/plastic? balloons? condoms? cornstarch shopping bags (like the ones target uses) and shipping filler. what about styrofoam?

Edited by ThunderIdeal

are they hard lil bead like things? you could make a poop load of hacky sacks :)

what are some plastic-y seeming products that aren't eternal/plastic? balloons? condoms? cornstarch shopping bags (like the ones target uses) and shipping filler. what about styrofoam?

I don't think that there are many unfortunately. I actually cant think of any off the top of my head.

Just now have googled Styrofoam to find out what the difference is between Polystyrene and Styrofoam. The word Styrofoam is actually a trademark for the Dow company.

http://univfoam.com/...-vs-polystyrene

And are Styrofoam products t bad for the enviroment.... http://greenliving.l...the_Environment Yep!

Edited by Amazonian

Get out of here you fucking suit!

:wink:

Hey, nothing wrong with making a little money on the side while saving the environment. I also sell "save the whales" t-shirts, printed on 100% natural polyester.

The snack I was thinking of was this one (not asian after all, by the looks of it):

http://parthenonfoods.com/stobi-flips-150g-p-2037.html

Somehow, the facebook fan page managed to get over 25,000 likes. All comments are in another language though, so it is possible that each fan has simply signed up to make complaints about how revolting flavoured packing material is.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Stobi-Flips/50679251751

^mmm, salty cardboard in a bag, so full of nutrition.

what are some plastic-y seeming products that aren't eternal/plastic?

I have thought of another one. Coreflute/fluteboard. Its just like plastic cardboard. Even if you get the UV treated one, it still breaks down over time.