The Corroboree
Sallubrious

New Zealand Earthquake

I just what to say that my thoughts and prayers are with our friends in New Zealand.

With you on that one Sall. My in-laws are in Christchurch. We have just spoken to them. They are alive, unharmed but shaken to the shithouse...literally. Apparently everything in their houses were thrown out of cupboards and smashed on the floor. Some structural damage of course,but they are alive.

Looks like you made it back at the right time Tripsis. And what about you centipede, your in Christchurch aren't you?, you OK?.

Globally ,Floods, fires, earthquakes, cyclones, am i missing anything? The Wrath of the Earth.

Edited by Amazonian

for real, they seem to be copping it a bit over there at the moment,

hope everything turns out

:blink: fucking hell i just heard about this on the radio.. sounds quite bad

Amazonian: Nah I'm from a different part of the island. Good to hear your family are alright.

There is alot of damaged building and from what they have been showing on the TV it looks like a demolition site in some places.

Indeed, I was back in time, but then, I was nowhere near Christchurch either. Sounds pretty intense! will be interesting to hear the stats when they come out.

I hope the people of Christchurch are going to be able to rescue all those trapped in rubble. From the sounds of it (I've been watching coverage since 2pm) - it's looking like this is FAR worse than any of the prior quakes. I wish I was down there and could help. I didn't donate money last time, but I will this time.

Edit: since seeing the new death toll (and number of trapped individuals), I'm even more shocked than before. This earthquake has been absolutely devastating, and it's shaping up to possibly be the worst natural disaster NZ has ever seen.

Edited by bluntmuffin

Just terrible to see. My friend rushed over to my place to tell me put the tv on! And we sat there watching it in shock and disbelief. :'( Initially they had live un-edited coverage and it was just terrifying. Feeling really sorry for all those affected over there right now. Just terrible.

I've not seen any of the footage as I don't watch TV. Is it that bad?

On the news just now, 65 confirmed deaths..

On the news just now, 65 confirmed deaths..

shit really? it was only 6 point something on the richter scale yeah?

People trapped in buildings, crushed in buses/cars, some buildings literally fell apart. Its just terrible, they are still looking for trapped survivors and trying to get people out. Its heartbreaking watching all the distraught people on the news coverage. :'(

shit really? it was only 6 point something on the richter scale yeah?

yep was a 6 point something but it happened only 5km below the surface,so it was much worse than the 7 point something september quake.looks fucken full on!

`

Edited by Magicdirt

New Zealand Quake Causes Massive Glacier Break

Published February 22, 2011

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2011/02/22/ne...-glacier-break/

CHRISTCHURCH, New Zealand -- The earthquake that struck Christchurch has caused some 30 million tons of ice to break off from New Zealand's biggest glacier.

Tour guides at the Tasman Glacier in the Southern Alps say the quake caused the ice to "calve" from the glacier, forming icebergs in the terminal lake.

Tourists of Glacier Explorer boats say the icefall caused waves of up to 3.5 meters in height which swept up and down the lake for 30 minutes.

The glacier is about 120 miles from Christchurch on the west coast.

The powerful earthquake struck Christchurch on Tuesday, toppling tall buildings and churches, crushing buses and killing at least 65 people.

just read a newspaper headline in the fush 'n' chup shop said ''feared 100's dead''?... i hope my sista in wanaka is okay...

I saw those first few hours where they were showing unedited footage - fucked up, broken bones and shit. That dude with the broken leg talking to the media as the building collapsed some more, then that chick with the broken finger asking for someone to cut off her wedding ring. Loading people into cars because they ran out of ambulances, I can't imagine being part of the emergency response when so many people have been injured. I think the emergency crews have done an absolutely fantastic job so far. Especially when the communications network was down at the beginning.

Glad we moved back to Perth last year.. I have been complaining about the heat, but this really helped put things in perspective.