The Corroboree
Sheather

Proper English

I wonder if many order the Chiz Burjer :lol:

Edited by mac

Huh! Thanks lickapop and ballzac :)

Ahh Engrish, haven't checked out that site in aaaages :lol:

As posting becomes more mobile, on phones and tablets and such, spelling will get more and more mangled.

Every time I use an eye pad my spelling and grammar is worse. I blame it on the touch screen with it's 2 part switching access and the automatic word correct. It is also impossible to scroll through text boxes to edit large posts without adding a heap of spaces with the return button to push all the text down then deleting them all out to raise the text below. I'd rather look a little silly then raise my blood pressure to stroke level trying to fix it.

Just edited an I that was supposed to be an I'd. Forgot to flick the key pad over to get the '. And took around 5 goes to touch the cursor into the right place to correct. Mangled I tell you!

Edited by rahli

Also just out of curiosity, when a word is in quotation marks, does the comma come before the final quotation mark like a fullstop does, or does it come after? E.g "Two," or "two", ?

why would you ever use a comma at the end of a quote?

I'm going to quote lickapop here with a semblance of an answer.

It would have been easier to text Sally and tell her she had nice tits and "how bout it lmao" as opposed to actually going up to her and complimenting her on wonderful looking mammary glands and if she would like to practice safe sex.

This quote here, should have a comma after the speech part, so in some cases I think it somewhat necessary. Probably more with talking of conversations rather than quoting people.

I would think it follows the same rules as the full stop, but not sure tbh.

As posting becomes more mobile, on phones and tablets and such, spelling will get more and more mangled.

Every time I use an eye pad my spelling and grammar is worse. I blame it on the touch screen with it's 2 part switching access and the automatic word correct.

I have the same problems with the ipod that i use just for a quick catch up . I am very hesitant in using it to add a reply as it has a mind of its own. So, now i can also use that as an excuse for my bad grammer. Thanks rahli.

:lol:

why would you ever use a comma at the end of a quote?

For the reason she did. The sentence has a comma in it (though it might survive without one as commas are becoming less common), but the comma is hers, not Sheather's, so it must occur after the quotation marks.

Do whatever the fuck you want:

Dont mind if i do...

here we go.

Let me start by saying that grammar Nazis are a personal hate of mine, just like people who miss use grammar annoys others, we are not going to war over our opinions and we are all entitled to them, so remember i respect your ideas about grammar so please respect mine, no matter how crazy they seem to you. (trust me you guys seem very very crazy to me ^_^)

.....Amusing, how a community of such open people still like to conform to such silly rules, granted if you have trouble understanding the person who "cant spell" then that sucks for you,

but most the time its still a form of English and is legible....

Nothing annoys me more then grammar nazi's!! Language always evolves..... Out with the old and in with the new.

The only time confusion will arise is when someone is trying to use "sarcasim" online... and that in its self is always asking for misunderstandings anyway.

the_grammar_nazi.jpg

Its a good topic, great thread, just dont shut down the opinions of other people, let it all be said, cause me personally i think all grammer nazis are idiots, just like i imagine they think i am one, just two different opinions no right or wrong.

I find the topic slightly offensive and trollish from the start, who says i must conform to your rules? Who said your rules are right? i doubt you even know were they come from..... and i doubt most of you even know what set of standards you should be following in regards to netetiquette or net-etiquette?? o_O .

But hey great topic, love it, just don't expect otherness to refrain from sharing there opinion with you, and this doesn't belong in bitches anymore then most the religion topics, no one should be silenced...censored or "cleaned up".

-vual

Edit:

If you use correct grammer on a phone you are a idiot, that is the entire reason for evolution to make life easier, why would anyone waist time using correct grammer on a text?? I dont know about you but my time is to valuable... hense the reason slang is developed.

(see i use "....." to build suspense!!!!)

Edited by vual

For the reason she did. The sentence has a comma in it (though it might survive without one as commas are becoming less common), but the comma is hers, not Sheather's, so it must occur after the quotation marks.

WAIT A MIN GUYS!! ARE YOU USING THE CHICAGO MANUAL OF STYLE?? or THE ASSOCIATED PRESS GUIDE???........

see how ridicules it is, what qualify's anyone here to teach English? How can we even be sure you are remembering the correct usage correctly??

A page number from a industry standard reference would go nicely with the assumptions.

Wait... by hers you ment her's right?? for she had possession of the comma??? <-- I know this is not true hers is always spelled hers, but it should be true, another example of how silly English is.

Edited by vual

fucking nice rant man and I agree that some would think your an idiot

not me tho(ugh) I think yer (your) onto (on to) somethink

piece V

Edited by lickapop

Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo.

Dont mind if i do...

here we go.

Let me start by saying...

I don't really see anyone being a grammar Nazi here. We're discussing 'proper' usage of English. I think it's fair enough that we're picking on each others grammar and asking questions considering that it's what the thread is about. The only people 'contributing' to this thread who are being negative seem to be on your side of the fence.

A page number from a industry standard reference would go nicely with the assumptions.

True

Wait... by hers you ment her's right?? for she had possession of the comma???

Actually, it's a pretty sweeping exception to the "apostrophe s" rule, so it's not as crazy (read "ad hoc") as a lot of other rules in English. And it makes sense for the fact that genitive pronouns don't always end in s.

Edited by ballzac
  • Like 1

.....Amusing, how a community of such open people still like to conform to such silly rules, granted if you have trouble understanding the person who "cant spell" then that sucks for you,

but most the time its still a form of English and is legible....

Oh yeah it sucks for the person who is informed of one thing and then finds out later it's completely wrong and there may actually be serious consequences from that misunderstanding. But boo sucks for the innocent reader, amirite?

WAIT A MIN GUYS!! ARE YOU USING THE CHICAGO MANUAL OF STYLE?? or THE ASSOCIATED PRESS GUIDE???........

According to wikipedia, placing the comma after the quotation marks is preferred but not essential under these circumstances (words or sentence fragments being quoted). The wikipedia article references Butcher's Copy-editing: The Cambridge Handbook for Editors, Copy-editors and Proofreaders. I have not had the opportunity to check this source. It appears that American English differs on that matter, but being Australian, we tend to follow the British guidelines. This, however, is undergoing a transition due to the influence of American media.

Nothing annoys me more then grammar nazi's!!

:lol: , you make it sound like we are going to go around negatizing posts for the incorrect use of the English Language or something. Far from it . It's a little bit of education for those willing. I just wish I could retain the information.:wacko:

Sorry I haven't updated any of the original posts much at all. I should really do it, just feels like such effort to seek out the information and spend an hour or two writing it out and fixing it up. Wish I could just give editing rights of my posts to Amazonian and let her do the work for me. :P

Sorry I haven't updated any of the original posts much at all. I should really do it, just feels like such effort to seek out the information and spend an hour or two writing it out and fixing it up. Wish I could just give editing rights of my posts to Amazonian and let her do the work for me. :P

You and amazon could always just copy and paste, she can copy and past it into notepad, edit it, then copy and past the final to a PM to you can you can then upload it. ^_^

Great topic to have, keep it going.

Don't make it a chore Sheather, just add to it as you think of something. And as for letting me do the work for you, You do want 'Proper English' don't you???, so lets forget that idea.:lol:

Edit: The word 'lets' , should it be 'let's', as in let us ? ,or just lets ?

Edit again: I gather that it would be Let's ,as it is two words put together, let us.

Edited by Amazonian

The wikipedia article references Butcher's Copy-editing: The Cambridge Handbook for Editors, Copy-editors and Proofreaders. I have not had the opportunity to check this source. It appears that American English differs on that matter, but being Australian, we tend to follow the British guidelines. This, however, is undergoing a transition due to the influence of American media.

Lol now we have our own Australian guidelines? So by TEND you mean we DO? or you mean you dont know??

Because not knowing what guidelines you should be flowing in a topic about "PROPER" (<- What a amusing word) is kinda ludacris:)

But i think you yourself are starting to see how amusing English is, so can someone tell me how the word fuck should be used and how it can be used...

Amazon:

Edit: The word 'lets' , should it be 'let's', as in let us ? ,or just lets ?

Depends on context, according to my understanding "let's" is a contraction of "let us", and let means to allow.

So..

She lets him to post here... (then you are allowing)

Let's all use proper grammer... (then as in let us)

^ like it matters though its all just crazy talk, i have no reference for it, i cant make it real, its just a idea, and noone is going to war over it.

What would be interesting is if people could post examples of how bad grammer can cause problems.......

Edited by vual

i very much doubt most aussies (including me) could pass an english exam!

• Like 1

English is dead, fARk lets evolve , it was all designed to keep commoners illiterate to begin with as they were not able to afford schooling and most of the words derived from french anyways...

• Like 2

A large part of the year 12 English exam, at least in Victoria, is a text response. Far more important than spelling and perfect use of grammar, is an insightful contention and thorough support in the response. That is, if you have something interesting to say about the text and your grammar is good enough to be understood, you will most likely score more than those with perfect grammar who make boring and obvious comments in their response.

Edited by ballzac

From my brief read i've noted that many spelling errors, i do believe u mob are doing it intentionally to piss off the spelling freaks. Mwahahaha!!

• Like 1