The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
migraineur

CHEAP PRESTO PRESSURE COOKERS

Hey guys,

Just thought I'd give you a heads up. I got an email from Amazon.com which told me that there is a sale on pressure cookers. I mentioned this recently and a 23 quart Presto pressure cooker was $130ish delivered to your door in AUS. However, as I write this it costs $107.35 to get it delivered to Australia. ZOMG!!!! ORLY?!?!?!

So all you mycophiles who have to deal with hot water baths or shitty cookers might want to buy yourself a nice Christmas present. Better yet, get an All American Pressure cooker cos I can confirm that they are totally pimpin'.

Kind regards,

Migraineur

BLOODY CHEAP!!!!

BLOODY CHEAP!!!!

How many litre jars will it hold?

23-quart pressure cooker/canner holds 20 pint jars or 7 quart jars.

However, if it is similar to my all American then you might be able to fit another couple lying down on their sides at the top of the cooker.

Good stuff, i just ordered one, with a psare rack it was under $130.

Will be handy for doing a few bags or jars in the house rather than going to the shed and firing up the kegbomb. :wink:

The cheapest price I found in Australia for the same one is $200 and that's without shipping. Shipping will cost you between $10 and $30 depending on the state that you're in. http://www.redbacktrading.com.au/index1.html

Retailers in Australia are crying foul and they want the government to scrap the rule that allows us to get items that are under $1000 from overseas without paying tax. However, even if we were to pay 10% GST we still save a fortune. If you were to add GST on it you still would have saved yourself at least $80.

As a shop owner I should be urging you all to buy local, but at $100 and a bit for a 23 quart PC! Fark me dead!

Breathe slowly mesc.....all in good time. BARGAIN! Guess I'll plug away with my Fagor Duo: http://www.yourhomedepot.com.au/products/fagor/duo-pressure-cooker/pressure-cookers-amp-amp-accessories Take advantage of U.S. Imports now,it's our turn to get a fair deal,retailers and alike ;-) Might not last long...all I want for Christmas is a 23 Quart P.C MOFO :-)

Breathe slowly mesc.....all in good time. BARGAIN! Guess I'll plug away with my Fagor Duo: http://www.yourhomedepot.com.au/products/fagor/duo-pressure-cooker/pressure-cookers-amp-amp-accessories Take advantage of U.S. Imports now,it's our turn to get a fair deal,retailers and alike ;-) Might not last long...all I want for Christmas is a 23 Quart P.C MOFO :-)

Do it, Mescalito. DO IT! I got raped when I bought my All American Pressure Cooker last year. Shipping cost $150 as I got a relative in the U.S. to forward it to me and individuals don't get discounts on shipping rates. Furthermore, the Aussie dollar was not too flash at the time. However, it's the best pressure cooker.

Unbelieveable the speed of delivery. Mine is showing on the online tracking as clearing customs yesterday and being on a truck here last night. I'd be suprised if it's not here tommorow or friday.

Couldn't get it from perth that quick.

aussie retialers haven't got a hope.

any comments on the all american vs the presto?

The 21 1/2 quart all american is going for $250 AU (that includes delivery!)

I reckon the biggest difference would be the all american's metal to metal seal meaning that there are no sealing rings to be replaced.

The presto is damn cheap tho!

Anything else to consider?

omSource

An AA can be converted into a steriliser with a simple accessory that can be bought. I expect the life on an AA would far exceed a Presto due to the metal to metal seal too.

Edited by tripsis

The All American is a tank. It looks like something you'd find in a Pfizer lab or something. It has less parts so it will last for a very long time. It'll out live me. Paying extra for it was a good investment.

What accessory does the AA need to be used as a steriliser?

Mine's on the stove now. whilst it's not an All American she's still a beauty! will do me fine until I finish my beer keg steriliser then I can think about getting myself setup for a commercial operation I dont want to be a chef all my life. :BANGHEAD2:

Anyways I fit 4 2 litre jars and a slender 900ml jar in my cooker probably could have laid a flat whisky bottle or 2 down as well if I wanted to push it. :P

cheers

the mushroom bloke

Edited by themushroombloke

Ran mine for the first time yesterday. An 11 jar mix of 1 litre ball jars, 1 litre plastene jars and a couple of pasta/coffee jars.

Fit six one litres and a couple of smaller pasta jars on the bottom and three patsa jars on top.

It'll be handy for doing jars inside, specially in this weather. :rolleyes:

Innoculated six species in front of the hood this morning and did a dozen plate transfers while i had it going :worship:

:drool2:...'sall I can say!

I finally did some plate transfers and some small jars and theys goin off!!

Mind you this is in a dirty old shed,dog wandering in and out,fly's, water cooler going.She's 30 something degrees in there atm!

Looks like my glove-box (and the lovely clean plates thanks DL :wub:) will get me off the ground again...well I gotta lose the crutches yet,then I'm on the ground LOL

FIGJAM :P

Thanks for those that sent myco-infected plates!!!! B)

Very much appreciated.

Where did you get your flow hood from and how much did it cost, Punkin?

Mushroombloke, what kind of commercial operation do you want to run?

Got it from Down the Central Coast of NSW when Shortly and others bought theirs mate. There's a thread here somewhere about it. Was a commercial propogation nursery sold off two dozen or so of differing size and quality second hand hoods.

Mines a 4' Oliphant and is an absolute boon to me. Paid $350 or so, plus a couple of bottles of homemade Bourbon for the glazier to cut all new laminated glass sides. :innocent_n:

post-7685-0-37068500-1294044951_thumb.jp

Excuse the mess, i'm just getting ready to innoculate a dozen bags tommorow morning. :blush:

post-7685-0-37068500-1294044951_thumb.jpg

post-7685-0-37068500-1294044951_thumb.jpg

God, I'm jealous. I've been trying hard to find a decent priced second hand laminar flow hood but I can't find any in Australia and I can't afford to fork out $4000 for a new one.

I cooked some grain today and I have to use my glove box tomorrow to knock up my grain. It does the job but glove boxes are a pain in the arse.

I'd love to own a flow hood too, but its a luxury for this very reason - I have never used a glove box and never have a had a jar contaminate during the innoculation process, with liquid culture. Ive only ever had 2 failed liquid culture from multi spore innoculation...

I close the windows, wait for the dust to settle, sanitize the work bench with metho and wear gloves, also sprayed with metho. Hold breath and move gently but deliberately, picture yourself as a spore.

I have hoever only done one agar transfer in the open air but this has also been a success.. I would love to work more with agar and will give it a try open air, though I feel the chance of contamination is imminent...

I'd love to own a flow hood too, but its a luxury for this very reason - I have never used a glove box and never have a had a jar contaminate during the innoculation process, with liquid culture. Ive only ever had 2 failed liquid culture from multi spore innoculation...

I close the windows, wait for the dust to settle, sanitize the work bench with metho and wear gloves, also sprayed with metho. Hold breath and move gently but deliberately, picture yourself as a spore.

I have hoever only done one agar transfer in the open air but this has also been a success.. I would love to work more with agar and will give it a try open air, though I feel the chance of contamination is imminent...

Make a glove box, man.

Go to the storage section of Bunnings and get yourself a clear plastic tub.

Go to the plumbing section and buy two couplings.

Cut holes in the glove box for the couplings. I heated up a stanley knife over the stove and used it to cut/melt the holes for my couplings. You could use a soldering iron too or one of those drill bits that makes holes.

Then put your couplings into the holes and put some silicone around the edges to set them in place.

This is optional for some but you can buy a pair of dish washing gloves and tape them over the couplings to make it more air tight. I leave one glove off when doing agar work because the gloves can limit my ability to move and it allows me to put things in and out (like my inoculation loop) easily rather than having to open up the lid and allow more contaminants to flow in.

Keep it cheap man I'll dig up a photo of an effective cheapo jobby!

Ask around for a used Brocci box.